• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Legal benzo alternative

Alcohol certainly is probably going to be more benzo-like than any of the other suggestions, and it is legal, but for HR's sake, it's not an ideal solution.

Sceletium tortuosum AKA 'Kanna'

Its a psychoactive plant from Africa. Ive got personal experience with it, and it was great. It's a weird herb in the way that you can smoke it, eat it, even snort it for effects. I did all of the above, and prefer it orally, but snorting it was a fast and energetic high.

Its supposedly a powerful anti depressant, but I was using it for anxiety...worked great.

I can't really think of anything asides from Kava and phenibut, but both are far from feeling exactly like a benzo.

i don't think there'll be anything with a completely distinct mechanism of action that feels even close to a benzo.

-xxxyyy thats truly what i was looking for honestly, but have alot more minerals and teas in my arsenal now for the next time i need them. also looking into pregabalinand aniracetam. true words tho, it unfortunately appears.

DONT MESS WITH OPIATES of any kind for long term unless your prepared to see what hell is like when u try 2 stop! AARGH! :)

I don't believe 5-HTP has been mentioned, forgive me if if has.

Also I agree with Valerian Root. You're basically looking for GABA-ergic stuff primarily. You can even get GABA supplement at drugstores. Kava Kava as well...

I know it's been shot down already but I love etizolam. I actually switched from klonopin to it. But I know it's not a valid suggestion here. I'm running out of ideas at the moment... I'll post later when I think of more.

why people keep on reviving years old threads? anyway, I personally feel that the best life enhancer - anxiety reliever is meditation. it's also legal and pretty harmless ;)

I know they're Prescription RX meds and not over the counter, but gabapentin and pregabalin are used by doctors for anxiety/relaxation as alternatives to benzos.

Some people with anxiety respond well to treatment with an antihistamine such as diphenhydramine (Benadryl) or hydroxyzine (Vistaril)

the only one that comes to mind to me is phenibut, which i know very little about, also GBL is legal in some countries, but i wouldn't venture there if i were you.

Some people with anxiety respond well to treatment with an antihistamine such as diphenhydramine (Benadryl) or hydroxyzine (Vistaril)

This was going to be my response. OTC antihistamines such as diphenhydramine and doxylamine succinate can work well for anxiety, but they can cause drowsiness but not that bad at the right dose and as long as you aren't tired to begin with. Hydroxyzine is a good one too ask mentioned, but I think that it might be prescription only, but I know that it's prescribed for anxiety (as well as a sleep aide) so it definitely has the potential to help you as a legal alternative to benzodiazepines.

+1 on the vistaril.

also clonidine, an alpha-blocker usually for blood pressure but it also used for nervousness and some sorts of anxiety off-label.

I had switched to Vistaril and clonidine from clonazepam back a while ago.. not on them anymore but I swear (for me) those two combined were better for their purpose (calming down, helping insomnia, relieving anxiety) than clonazepam, plus you wouldn't be on a benzo which when used long term can cause bad wd's as you all know.

Just my .02 from experience.

(BTW they are both presciption, but most Dr's have no problem with prescribing those as there is no stigma attached like with benzos eg. abusable, addictive, divertable etc.)

^
Some doctors maybe a bit wary of prescribing clonidine longterm.
Its non-addictive but does form a physical dependance and has a withdrawal syndrome.

+1 for hydroxyzine though, a very relaxing med and alot 'smoother' then other 1st gen anti-histamines.