Bluelight

Thread: Bad skin from Meth - help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Bad skin from Meth - help 
    *Not sure if this is being posted in the right place, but here goes.*

I've browsed this forum for a long time now never really had a reason to post anything but I guess the time has come.

Recently I've noticed the skin on my face as been developing a rash like issue, I've always had relatively good skin up until I started smoking meth. I've probably smoked a total of 20 times over the past 6 months so I haven't been too bad with it and it was mainly on weekends. I only ever smoked up to 1-4 points in a night and I've tried researching as much as possible leading up to posting this but I can't really find anything reliable in helping my cause. The most appealing thing about smoking to me was the weight lose, and that's really what drove me to do it each time I did. In a matter of a few weeks I had gone from 96-98kgs down to around 83kgs. My normal diet wasn't the healthiest and now with smoking meth its just terrible. I'm beginning to get back on track with eating habits and trying to eat a lot more healthier to get the required nutrients I need for my body. Weight lose for me will now be done by exercise and healthy eating.

I've talked to a few friends and they told me my skin has become dehydrated and drinking plenty of water and sleeping regularly will clear up the issue. Each time I've researched this on my own all I can find is information about "meth sores" although this could be what I have, in relation to common meth sores I've never had the urge to itch these marks on my face. They are smooth, not irritating, some are pale pink some are a bit brighter. My first thought was it was just a shaving rash, but it's high enough on my cheek where hair doesn't grow and I usually get a shaving rash on my neck which is cleared up by certain creams, so I ruled out that issue. My whole face has become a very pale colour and I've always had an olive coloured skin tone and dark circles also have formed under my eyes. I've received comments from friends that don't know that I have been smoking asking me if I'm sick, or that I look very sick which is disturbing to me and has really made me realise what I'm doing to myself

I had a large binge on the weekend just past which included meth I'm starting to feel really depressed about this issue and It's become clear to me that I really must stop doing this. Again, I talked to a few friends that are more experienced then me and they have said the same thing. Personally I think I'm not that far into the "addiction stage" and quitting shouldn't be much of a difficult job if I stop smoking. I've thrown away all pipes, bulbs etc. Deleted numbers of certain people and ended contact with some just in case I feel any urge to smoke again.

I've been thinking about visiting a doctor for my skin issue which I will most likely do sometime soon but for now I've decided to turn to people on this forum to seek some help for my situation. I would just like to know if there is anything I can do to clear up my skin, has anyone tried creams, home remedy's, vitamins etc?

Any help would be great as I'm really starting to worry about my well being.

Thank you.

*UPDATE*

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So it's been a week since posting this thought I'd give an update to how things are going.

I've been eating a lot more healthier, drinking plenty of water and applying Vitamin E moisturiser to my face twice a day. There hasn't been huge improvements but I can see my face is started to get better as I keep this routine up. I haven't been to a doctor as I think it will pass as time goes on, but I've read all the comments here and will be trying a Tea Tree Oil blemish stick. I've visited a tanning salon a few times a week to regain the colour in my face so I don't look as sick any more. This doesn't fix the issue, it just covers it up a bit. Since it being winter it's also hard to get a natural tan due to the weather.

I can't stress this enough guys, if you are using meth PLEASE take care of your body and most importantly your skin. I was so self-conscious how I've looked I've gone as far as not leaving the house, neglecting friends and just keeping to myself because of this. Luckily for me, things are starting to improve. Eat healthy, use Vitamin E creams on your face and just maintain general hygiene.
    Last edited by Dosez; 27-08-2012 at 09:08. Reason: Update

2. Collapse Details

I've never used meth but I do have a skin condition where I get rashes. Here's what I do for it: I would drink plenty of water, green tea, eat healthy by eating fresh fruit and vegetables, get rest, avoid using meth or other drugs for the time being, take some Vitamin E, get more exercise even if it's just doing daily walking for 20-30 mins outside, get more sunlight so you get vitamin D, don't pick/touch your face or skin, and maybe use some lotion for your face that has Vitamin E and other things in it? Exfoliation can also help you don't need an expensive exfoliant product just use a dry washcloth against your face when you wash it. I have very sensitive skin so I wash my face with unscented soap after a shower. If my skin is broken out really bad I'll put hydrocortizone on it once a day before bed for about a week until my skin clears up.

Maybe see a dermatologist and be honest about using meth and see what they say? You can't get in trouble because of doctor/patient confidentiality and HIPPA laws (OK I saw this post when it was in Healthy living I'm sure there are healthcare privacy laws in Australia), and tell them how you are going to stop using it. The most important thing is not to use meth and stop using it. Go to NA/CMA (Crystal meth anon.) or look into a treatment program in Australia.

I found this about what meth does to your skin with a simple internet search:
    * Meth abuse causes the destruction of tissues and blood vessels, inhibiting the body's ability to repair itself.
    * Acne appears, sores take longer to heal, and the skin loses its luster and elasticity, making the user appear years, even decades older.
    * Poor diet, tooth grinding and oral hygiene results in tooth decay and loss.

One of the most striking effects of meth is the change in the physical appearance of meth users. Because meth causes the blood vessels to constrict, it cuts off the steady flow of blood to all parts of the body. Heavy usage can weaken and destroy these vessels, causing tissues to become prone to damage and inhibiting the body's ability to repair itself. Acne appears, sores take longer to heal, and the skin loses its luster and elasticity. Some users are covered in small sores, the result of obsessive skin-picking brought on by the hallucination of having bugs crawling beneath the skin, a disorder known as formication.

Good luck. Yes vitamin E is very good for your skin. You can even get more from eating foods that contain it like if you cook food try cooking with olive oil since that has it. Also here's a site you might find useful: http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Vit...hProfessional/
    Last edited by PriestTheyCalledHim; 21-08-2012 at 08:50.

3. Collapse Details

I've decided to stop all use completely. The past few weeks I have been trying to take care of my skin by washing regularly, exfoliating and using moisturiser. Unfortunately, it didn't do much maybe because I was still using while trying to cleanse my skin.

A few of the times I have used and I think they were times when I've used too much I've noticed my face, lips, hands, feet and legs will turn white like there is no blood at all in them. I've never had any urges to pick at my skin, nor have I seen bugs crawling when I have hallucinated.

From the information I've got my plans are to;
    - Eat more healthy, drink water more regularly and exercise as often as I can.
    - I'm going to look into taking some Vitamins, from your answer I'm guessing E and D will be useful for my case?

I'll trial all this for the time being, and in the coming weeks If I see no improvement I guess I'll have to pay a visit to the doctors/dermatologist and be honest about my usage.

4. Collapse Details

Australian Drug Discussion
    I think you've made the best possible step in treating the skin problem by stopping use. I would imagine that when you stop using meth, the skin issue will resolve itself. Great work on your decision - I know it's no easy feat. Even when you're only using once every one or two weeks, the psychological pull of it can be very strong. I think you've done well recognising that meth is having a negative impact on your life, and deciding to take control.

When I puffed, I'd occasionally get skin issues too - a rash wherever I perspired. It only seemed to happen with certain batches, so I can only guess it was a certain cut or impurity which reacted with my skin and sweat. I found the best course of action was to not put any products on it whatsoever - I found this only irritated my skin more and exacerbated the problem. I don't think it's be a bad idea to visit a doctor as well - it may be linked to a vitamin deficiency or something else which is easily treated.

5. Collapse Details

Greenlighter
    ...i had the same thing happen a few years ago when my meth habit was at its peak.. My skin was terrible and after awhile i ended up having laser therapy done on it (where they use lasers to take off the top layer of skin) ....The results were amazing! It is a little expensive but well worth it in my opinion and part of the treatment i was able to claim back on through medicare :-)

6. Collapse Details

Pillreports.com
    I've heard that it takes about 3 months for skin to go back to more or less normal pigmentation after quitting meth.
    And taking the extra initiative by eating healthier and getting more vitamins into you will definitely help.

One of my best mates has quit meth 2 months ago and his skin is already starting to look much better. Good to hear you're stepping in the right direction, and seeing an issue before it becomes a serious problem like it does to so many.

Best of luck

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by footscrazy View Post
    [...] When I puffed, I'd occasionally get skin issues too - a rash wherever I perspired. It only seemed to happen with certain batches, so I can only guess it was a certain cut or impurity which reacted with my skin and sweat. [...]
    Same here

@op So you got on it basically every weekend? sounds like a good time to quit. Good luck, I hope your skin clears and you can avoid the pipe

8. Collapse Details

Thanks for the support guys!

Yeah it was pretty much every weekend for a good few months I was smoking. I've been using Vitamin E moisturser twice a day on my face, drinking more water and starting to eat right. Hopefully some improvement is noticeable soon.

9. Collapse Details

I believe it to be a type of 'contact' dermatitis caused by the smoke hitting your face. And probably a mixture of sweat and less than normal hygene. Stop using meth. It will go away. Cigarette smoke causes acne breakouts. I stopped smoking, breakouts stopped. Plus meth is just fucked up generally.

10. Collapse Details

I don't smoke meth.

I snort it, if I use it at all.

I noticed my face was oily.... I mean I had a COAT of oil covering my face after each time I used meth. I always end up with my face literally very shiny and very oily. I can't stand to touch my face once the meth has kicked in.

I counter attack using astringent and cotton rounds to clean the oil off of my face. It has kept my skin nice, and my pores smaller. Any facial astringent would work, I suppose. I do not get a rash, so what I've posted may not help you.

I thought I'd add my situation just in case you or another meth user gets some benefit from my experience.

11. Collapse Details

Bluelighter
    Tea Tree Oil Blemish Stick. It is fucking amazing for the meth skin, just make sure you apply it at least once (although more than twice would be over-kill IMO) a day while using.

12. Collapse Details

Posted an update on the first post guys, thank you all again for the help and support. Things are starting to improve!

13. Collapse Details

sorry to hear about what has happened to you.

one thing I want to suggest is that it's not impossible for this to be (at least in part) nutritional deficiency(ies).

Something like scurvy could probably start to show up in people using meth heavily. When you think about it, it wouldn't be too hard for some people going through a heavy meth binge to go for a few months without ingesting any form of vitamin C or close to it.

This could combine with chronic dehydration and end up pretty nasty.

14. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Sonny Jim View Post
    sorry to hear about what has happened to you.

one thing I want to suggest is that it's not impossible for this to be (at least in part) nutritional deficiency(ies).

Something like scurvy could probably start to show up in people using meth heavily. When you think about it, it wouldn't be too hard for some people going through a heavy meth binge to go for a few months without ingesting any form of vitamin C or close to it.

This could combine with chronic dehydration and end up pretty nasty.
    In the time I was smoking I lost a large amount of weight because of it, around about 20kgs in a very short amount of time. I think nutritional deficiency would be playing a big part in my condition at the moment.

15. Collapse Details

I use a little meth almost every work day. I have been on for two weeks, then off for two weeks. This is mainly due to finances but I'm glad because for a while I was using quite a bit and I swear to God my teeth started breaking or chipping off so seriously it scared me to death. I had to get a lot of dental work done.

I have been led to believe smoking it is even worse because the smoke in your mouth speeds up the meth-mouth process. Even snorting it though, my teeth were giving me problems within a month of starting meth.

Now I take weekends off and every two weeks off. I mainly use meth to get work done. I don't have the luxury of the binge these days.

I don't have problems with addictions though. Maybe that's bullshit. I started using cannabis in 1974 and I'm smoking a bong right now.

I started using meth over a year ago but I don't remember when. I picked a friend up at the airport and she had some meth. I had no idea she used meth. I asked her to let me try it. I've been using it ever since.

I take vitamins, my friend, and YOU SHOULD TOO!!!!! If you are going to use meth at all, take a good multivitamin EVERY DAY. I'm serious.
    Last edited by ugly; 28-08-2012 at 03:05. Reason: vitamins, got it?

16. Collapse Details

Just dont do meth... I hope I sound like a reformed smoker (tobacco), You know how they are... that's the vibe I'm trying to get across...

17. Collapse Details

i had a friend who believed the same thing. long story short gluton was his problem. speak to a doctor you might be surprised.

18. Collapse Details

Hmm I used to get this along with extremely bad acne from MDMA or Meth. This is my regime and I swear by it, ever since I started this my skin has never been this clean and acne free.

First off start with a healthy diet, less sugar, oily foods and more green veggies. I take bio zinc vitamins from the chemist, they contain zinc and magnesium which is very good for hair, skin and nails. Every time I shower instead of soap I use a face washer called Cetaphil (Oily skin cleanser) as I have very oily skin. When I'm out of the shower I apply oxy5 cream onto the troublesome areas, I layer it quite thick actually (Its white colored). In the morning I apply oxy5 again but only the brown colored one as it isnt noticeable at all when applied and leave it on the whole day til I wash my face.

It literally stops any rashes, acne, pimples, blackheads w/e from forming, if it has already formed u can apply it and 2 days and it is completely gone and not noticeable. Nothing has worked better than this regime and ive spent thousands of dollars trying to get my nice skin back from dermatologists (using accutane) to having $100 facials which made my skin even worse not to mention spending 300 dollars / month on a toner, moisturizer and exfoliater. They didnt work at all and was wasting money. Was willign to pay antyhing to get my skin back but now it costs me $30-40 / month appx. Try it out and lemme know how u went, I guarantee it will work for you, gotta trust me on this one

19. Collapse Details

Sounds good. Especially the eat more greens part

If all else fails try -

20. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by poledriver View Post
    Sounds good. Especially the eat more greens part

If all else fails try -

Im very against that particular brand and all those similar stuff in general (the 3 step shit) of stuff does nothing. All it does it wash off all the essential oil needed for ur skin and leaves it dry thus increasing sebum production because the skin now completely lacks oil and starts to produce more. As a result of that the pores get clogged up with oil then get infected which causes inflammation and acne. As mentioned above I used the exact method (3 step application) but with a brand that costs at least 5 times the cost of that which I thought was going to work but did worse than good. I learned the hard way through trial and error as all the so called "experts" were very misleading and just pushed u to buy their most expensive brands because they see how desperate u are for clear skin. Dont fall for it like I did, u will save urself time and lots of money. Thats my 2 cents or shall I say $2 :P

21. Collapse Details

Yeah i wasnt serious, it was a lame attempt at humour. I agree with doing stuff that works, and people like brittney spears and other celebs endorsing shit isnt the answer. Eat more greens and other veggies and fruit and exercise and stay healthy and follow the good advice from others on here, like you and others who have had similar issues.

22. Collapse Details

Pro-active khunts!

23. Collapse Details

Bluelighter
    I usually get 15-20mins of sun a day and take 1 zinc tablet with brekky, I've battled with bad skin for about a decade and this has been my cure, my skin hasn't been clearer. All the lotions and crap they advertise usually make it worse, in my case anyway. Definitely see a doctor though.

24. Collapse Details

Bluelighter
    The cleaner the gear the less likely you are to develop bad acne. 1-2 points is ok if you use once a week, it's about as much as I'd use and I don't have acne. 4 points of even very clean gear can be a little to much for the liver to detox and as a result the extra shit seems to come out in rashes or acne on your face or back (I get bad back and some facial acne if I've been on a bender). Meth also makes you sweat especially if your out dancing at a doof or club and that's not good for acne.

Make sure you get good clean gear when you use meth as cutting agents or impurities during production can really fuck with shit. Dosez do you smoke it? Smoking by-passes 1st pass metabolism (liver) and more toxins enter your blood stream so there is more shit to detox, usually the kidneys do this job. Eating a balanced diet with 50% being fruit and veg 25% being protein and 25% carbs (roughly) is important as is drinking 2 litres or so of water each day. You seem to be doing this Dosez so your on the right path. The vitamin E cream is also a good idea as is zinc, you could just take a once a day multi-vitamin as well it's easier than taking 2-3 different capsuals. Good luck you seem to have a heap of good advice and info already given but thought I'd add my 5 cents.

25. Collapse Details
    My kids told me that it wasn't as good for me as vitamins were. It is F_ C K E D up!! 
    Talking
    Quote Originally Posted by Azron View Post
    I believe it to be a type of 'contact' dermatitis caused by the smoke hitting your face. And probably a mixture of sweat and less than normal hygene. Stop using meth. It will go away. Cigarette smoke causes acne breakouts. I stopped smoking, breakouts stopped. Plus meth is just fucked up generally.
    IT ALSO GIVES ME THE NODS, I AM ALWAYS FALLING ASLEEP AT MY COMPUTER, DRIVING, STANDING UP/ i THOUGHT THAT THIS WAS SUPPOSE TO BE THE ULTIMATE ENERGY HIGH? I WOULD ALSO LIKE TO KNOW IF ANYONE KNOWS HOW THIS AFFECTS YOUR BODY OR SKIN??? COMPARED TO METHELPHENIDATE ??? TIME RELEASED. CONCERTA??? tHEY CANNOT TELL THE DIFFERENCE IN A DRUG TEST SO i AM THINKING THAT THE CONCERTA IS ALSO AFFECTING THE SKIN RASH. I WENT TO MY DOCTOR AND HE WOULDN'T EVEN TOUCH THE RASH HE JUST SAT THERE STATING THAT I HAD DONE THIS TO MYSELF AND MY HUSBAND WAS WITH ME IN THE DOCTORS OFFICE AND HE KNOWS THAT I DON'T PICK. THESE SORES JUST ALWAYS COME BACK INM THE SAME SPOT ON THE TOP OF ARMS AND HANDS, THEY DON'T ITCH, AND THEY HAVE A STICKY CRYSTAL LIKE GEL THAT WHEN EXPOSED TO OTHER SKIN STICKS IMMEDIATELY AND PENETRATES THE SKIN . THE SORE HAS A DEEP ROOT OR SOMETHING THAT RUNS VERY DEEP SO THAT THE TOP OF IT WILL HEAL OVER AND THEN IT WILL REOPEN CAUSING THE SCAR TISSUE TO BUILDS UP. IT IS VERY UGLY AND I WOULD APPRECIATE ANY ADVICE ON HOW TO MAKE THIS GO AWAY.THANK YOU SO MUCH. MY KIDS ARE SO WORRIED ABOYT IT.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast