• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Adderall is to meth addiction as Methadone is to opiate addiction

Hey man... not sure where you're at with this.. its been a few months.
Sorry about the length, but here's what I had to do.

I was treated for depression and, through my Dr's orders, worked my way through the grab bag of available anti-depressants. After six months of trying a new pill every 4-6 weeks, and when my Dr. was ready to prescribe the next version of the same crap I told him that I quit taking all AD's cold turkey three weeks prior and haven't felt the slightest hint of a withdrawal symptom, just as I never felt the slightest effect from any of the AD's I was prescribed. I advised him that since I never felt a thing from the meds, and since when I quit taking such a high dosage so suddenly and felt no (added) ill effect due to it whatsoever, I have come to the determination that AD's ONLY work if the patients believe they work. That's why there are so many different 'brands' and formulations of the crap... so you keep taking the next one until you convince yourself that one of them is working for you.

My doctor failed miserably at defending AD's at this point. When I began discussing the fact that AD's as a whole have about a 55% effectiveness rating I asked him if it's right that prescribing medication should really be the equivalent of a coin toss.. . What I heard in my head was the Dr. saying to me.. "eh.. maybe this will do something, maybe not.. just convince yourself it's working please. That's what you're supposed to do."

After sharing my feelings, I stated that my issue continues to be the inability to complete tasks and finish projects. I don't have to worry about college $ but never finished even an associates degree despite taking years of classes.. I would have 15 songs 50% complete (I play bass) and never complete one. I stated that I cannot simply sit someplace and feel comfortable and relaxed... ever. I had been mentioning Adderall throughout the various Dr.'s appointments, but since the Dr. was aware that I had a past history of casually using drugs (casual history... never 'addicted' to any particular drug) he would always combat my recommendation by basically holding the stance that you can't develop ADHD, you have to be born with it.

Since I never really displayed extreme hyperactive moods I didn't have the history of your standard "ADHD kid" (teachers sending letters home... etc.. ) but I was also extremely active, being driven from one sport to the next.. playing outside with any number of a million kids my age in my neighborhood... always going somewhere and doing something so I feel that most of my symptoms were alleviated and hidden by so much activity so my Attention Deficit condition wasn't obvious. When childhood ends, however, and the pace slows... those symptoms can become more obvious. It was certainly at about age 18-22 when, looking back, my discomfort really began. I presented the argument that although I may not be hyperactive... to the extent I am bouncing of walls and uncontrollable without meds, I certainly have an attention deficit issue and for this reason feel I should be prescribed Adderall. It worked for me and I feel a ton better. This is actually my true story, but feel free to use it as a backup. lol.

P.S.: I am also aware that there is a pretty significant Adderall shortage (which personally I find shocking considering the ease of amphetamine production and the wide availability of base compounds) which I'm sure is held over the heads of prescribing doctors by the bureaucrats in charge in an effort to limit the number of scripts written. When I was prescribed 20mg XR, the very first time I went to get it from the pharmacy the pharmacy tech immediately had to say "Oh.. well, let me see if we have any of these in...". They did, but it was a clear sign to me that apparently there's a supply issue. That, and the fact that the Pharmaceutical industry wants you to buy their sugar pills with the fancy name and their scientific evidence-lacking exaggeratedly hopeful commercial with the whimsical animated people and side effect warnings... not the cheap effective stuff.

Last edited:
I consider myself addicted to crystal meth, and the only way I can see myself never using meth again is if I hada prescription to Adderall/Dextroamphetamine as a replacement.I have heard many psychiatrists are starting to use Adderall to treat meth addiction like methadone is given to heroin addicts. I have a referral for a shrink that specializes in addiction psychiatry and contemplating making an appt, and telling him of my addiction, and a desire to completely abstain from using methamphetamine if I could receive a replacement for meth in the form of a once a day Adderall XR prescription. If I can't get it, I know i will always use meth like i have been, but its worth a shot. Whaddya think?

From a harm reduction standpoint, I'd definitely say you would be better off, way better off with the adderall. Also, it would be quite easy to get it prescribed to you I'm sure. Any psychiatrist with half a brain would see why

^^
I have a feeling you may have 'missed the boat' this thread is the best part of 2 years old :)

Might be worth checking the last post date if you want any relevant response :D

I understand your logic . I know a meth addict who has not used meth in over 5 years but she does her adderall and it's her favorite RX "med"...
some shrinks will do it. I know a shrink who would do that, but don't keep your hopes up. Lots of doctors are assholes who are NOT open to you suggesting drugs to them . I've found that a lot of doctors if not most like to take the "know it all" approach and are very closed minded to what the patient wants as far as drugs go. It's all about what the Dr wants or what they can get kickbacks for prescribing . You can probably google your shrinks name and see if they have good reviews. A good addiction shrink who's actually willing to give the good drugs probably has a good review. I know mine does.

I don't believe you can equate adderall to methadone or bupe. Methamphetamine addiction is very different from opioid addiction, I believe it's a red herring to think that because maintenance/substitution works for one addiction, that it'll automatically transfer to another type of addiction.

It depends what your goals are - but it's is my belief that if you aim to quit, substitution with prescribed amphetamines has little value. If not, I also think that switching to them over meth has limited value in terms of being 'healthier'. There's an argument to be made that being prescribed a legal alternative reduces many of the harms that are associated with drugs simply because they're illegal - price, legal worries and so on - but as a prior meth addict, at least IMO, I find the idea of 'substitution' for meth completely inapplicable. Unlike opioids, whereas I find even a small amount, not enough to get me high, will provide relief if I'm in wd, I found the opposite with meth - using a little bit kicked the cravings into overdrive and set my mind on one task only - get more. Furthermore, amp or meth are both ultimately unsustainable in the long run, at least not without continuing decline in mental faculties and physical health.

I agree that's it's very unlikely you'll be legally prescribed amps as a treatment for your meth addiction. I also think it's worth asking yourself what exactly it is you think are the benefits of using adderall over meth?

This is also my view 100%. I am on methadone for a heroin/oxy/morphine habit and it has helped me break the cycle as I can't get high on top of my dose and it stops wd's & craving. I'm now a meth addict also and maintenance would not work in the same way. Meth for one isn't physically addictive and it is too harsh on the body as is amphetamine to be dosed daily. Its just not the same. Plus you can use on top and still get high. On methadone with the correct dose its almost impossible to get high on top of the methadone which is a big reason for why people stop using on mmt.

Amphetamines are so different I think a more likely solution would be a drug that does the same as ssri's do with MDMA and make it virtually useless.

I was diagnosed with ADD when I was 5 and with ADHD when I was 12 and was prescribed riddelin. It worked great! I got better grades, could read, socialized better, no more temper tantrums... this lasted 3 years until a situation in my family's life forced me to be on my own with a full time job at age 16. I struggled to grow up (still haven't lol). I had a passion for a certain thing and ran with it. Eventually owning my own business that had to do with an extreme sport and I was a pro athlete amongst the talent of a few other athletes who my buisness employed. I wouldn't ever had started my buisness if I hadn't recreationally used meth to motivate me. I juggled my job as an athlete and a buisness owner/manager for 11 successful years until decided to call it quits because of overwelming injuries due to the sport becoming extremely extreme lol. I went back to my day job (another passion) and from the lack of my daily adrenaline fix, I decided to take up meth as a full time habit as a substitute. I did fine for a few years until eventually it caught up to me and I hit rock bottom, losing everything. I cold turkey quit for 4 months prescribed citalapram. Still not happy with life, I decided to use meth recreationally again and this time it motivated me in my studies of why meth seemed to fix me and make me into the person I want to be. The results of these studies: Adderall (amphetamines) are prescribed to help fix ADHD. So I stratigacly approached a psychiatrist concerning my ADHD and after he diagnosed me with ADHD, he refereed me to another psychiatrist for a second opinion who also diagnosed me with ADHD. I am prescribed Adderall and am the person I want to be -the harsh side affects of meth. Boom!