• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Why is Carisoprodol (Soma) almost always a hit or miss?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian242

Bluelighter
Ok, so lately I have noticed that one day I will take 1750mg which is 5 tabs of the amazing muscle relaxer, soma, and just get fatigue. It's missing that 'electric' feeling it has. then later I can take 700mg, and have the time of my life. I'm on just 700mg right now, and I have it all. Soma shakes/Shuffle, 'electric' feel that's pretty intense, barbituate-like feel, etc.

Does anyone know why Soma is a hit or miss? I know that Carisoprodol converts to Miltown in the liver so maybe my liver can convert it into that drug better if I drink something or take a vitamin that's liver-friendly?

Thanks BL,

-Brian

Last edited:
shit i never got ANYTHING from soma, im glad at least someone gets something

I have the same problem Its been years since I was able to do the soma shuffle all I get now is maybe some fatigue The next day...

Ok, so lately I have noticed that one day I will take 1750mg which is 5 tabs of the amazing muscle relaxer, soma, and just get fatigue. It's missing that 'electric' feeling it has. then later I can take 700mg, and have the time of my life. I'm on just 700mg right now, and I have it all. Soma shakes/Shuffle, 'electric' feel that's pretty intense, barbituate-like feel, etc.

Does anyone know why Soma is a hit or miss? I know that Carisoprodol converts to Miltown in the liver so maybe my liver can convert it into that drug better if I drink something or take a vitamin that's liver-friendly?
Like fish oil vitamins, Thiamin, or Vitamin C.

That's interesting because that would imply it is not just a tolerance issue, since if it were tolerance it would just be getting gradually less effective over time as opposed to not working one day and working well the next. It could be due to factors such as what you eat, whether you take any other drugs, how recently you took Soma previously, etc.

By "Miltown" I assume you mean meprobomate - Miltown is a brand name for a drug containing mebromobate, it wouldn't be "Miltown" if the body converts carisoprodol into meprobomate as an active metabolite, but I realize I am just being nitpicky :). I'm not sure if the conversion to meprobomate is responsible for all of the effects of Soma, but is definitely responsible for more of the "recreational" effects. To get your liver to convert more of it into meprobomate is not as simple as taking vitamins that are said to be good for the liver though. You would need something that specifically increases the enzyme that converts carisoprodol into meprobomate. Carisoprodol is metabolized to meprobamate by the enzyme CYP2C19. So you would want to take things that induce this enzyme and avoid things that inhibit it.

One problem with using certain natural supplements to do this is that some induce CYP2C19 at low doses but inhibit it at high doses, so you would need to only take a low dose for those ones or else you could end up having the reverse effect to what you want - these include St Johns Wort and Ginko Biloba. Sage induces CYP2C19 (larger doses just induce it more) and valerian does the same thing but more weakly. [Source]. So I would probably try sage or valerian.

If you are going to experiment with potentiating Soma please be careful and try a lower dose of soma than usual just in case it potentiates it a lot.

I have the same problem Its been years since I was able to do the soma shuffle all I get now is maybe some fatigue The next day...

Your problem does not sound the same, it sounds like you have just developed a tolerance, since it never works as effectively anymore for you. Tolerance to Soma can form very rapidly if you take it on a regular basis.

Actually I haven't done somas in two years and I just did it the other day and nothing happened believe me I have only done somas a few times and it's been two years and I did it three times this week to try to get the shakes but I guess it just doesn't work idk seriously it's been over two years for me....

Thank you for the intelligent response, Dancer!!! Yes, I did mean meprobomate but was too lazy to type it out lol. I will look into CYP2C19 inducers also.

Actually I haven't done somas in two years and I just did it the other day and nothing happened believe me I have only done somas a few times and it's been two years and I did it three times this week to try to get the shakes but I guess it just doesn't work idk seriously it's been over two years for me....

Oh that's weird, so it used to work well for you and now it no longer does, even if you go a long time between doses? Were you taking it frequently in the past? Are you on any different meds or anything now? Any health conditions you didn't have before?

Thank you for the intelligent response, Dancer!!! Yes, I did mean meprobomate but was too lazy to type it out lol. I will look into CYP2C19 inducers also.

No problem, glad to be of help :) You might also want to think about other factors like what you were eating, whether you took the Soma close to eating (although that it not supposed to have a big effect, some people say they feel it more when taken on an empty stomach), whether you took any other drugs or supplements recently etc.

Last edited:
No problem, glad to be of help :) You might also want to think about other factors like what you were eating, whether you took the Soma close to eating (although that it not supposed to have a big effect, some people say they feel it more when taken on an empty stomach), whether you took any other drugs or supplements recently etc.

I agree. I have also noticed that if I take soma right before I eat a meal, it feels like the bioavailability skyrockets! Especially with a high protein dinner like steak and a potato is always good.

Hydrocodone and soma is amazing also :)

Oh that's weird, so it used to work well for you and now it no longer does, even if you go a long time between doses? Were you taking it frequently in the past? Are you any different meds or anything now? Any health conditions you didn't have before?
Yes, a few years ago I took somas and they were amazing but not my drug of choice now two years later I decided to try them again and nothing. I don't understand I was excited to have the good feeling the sleeping and shaking but it failed me.

As far as I know I do not have any medical issues. As far as drug use I did do some meth that same week and oxy but was clean before that for a few weeks... Idk my chemistry must have not been right by of the meth I have no clue...

What do you think?

^Yeah, if you tok meth and oxy earlier that same week I would suspect that may have had something to do with it.

Just meth that week before the somas... Oxy after with more soma... Probably the meth

On it's lonley, it's definitely hit or miss dosage-wise. With particular opi's (particularly oxycodone, oxymorphone, morphs, ect.) and a rapid-acting ROA of... IV forsure!

Potentiates the fuck outta benzos and other sedatives.

I prefer a cocktail w/ Soma, just a hit is worth IMO!

I also prefer a narcotic cocktail when taking soma. I take 2 30mg oxycodone, 2 10mg valium, 2 350mg soma...what a great feeling. i dont care for soma by itself.

I find soma goes best with tramadol oddly enough. It combines nicely with hydro or oxy but it just doesn't set them off like it does with tramadol. Conversely I don't normally enjoy taking my cyclobenzeprine but when I'm looking for a nod it really pushes the hydro or oxy.

Soma is one of my all time favorites. It's really quite euphoric by itself and does wonders because it synergizes so well with so many things. It's nice and relaxing when I take it with my clonazepam but it doesn't give me an inebriated feeling like others report. Maybe i just have too high of a tolerence, I've had a script for almost 2 years.

It seems like I need to take Hydrocodone with my Carisoprodol. That's my most addictive poly-drug effect.

Carisoprodol (like most depressants) will indeed have a synergistic (additive) effect to hydrocodone.

Be careful with that cocktail though...I don't recommend adding any more depressants to it (including alcohol and/or benzodiazepines)

How often do you take the soma? Is it ever that you took it the day before or even a couple days before when you didn't quite get all of it?

Status
Not open for further replies.