• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Oxycodone compared to Hydromorphone

hydromorphone is much different than oxy. Oxy doesnt make you rush, whereas the dilaudid rush is widely considered to be one of the strongest and post pleasurable. also, dilaudid has a low oral bioavailability, and a short duration, meaning that to feel strong effects, it must either be snorted or plugged (IV is a popular ROA, but I'm not reccomending it, as IV use is very unsafe, especially with pharmaceutical pills that contain adulterants which can be harmful to your veins, and even micron filtering is gonna be of much help. Dilaudid is usually very fiendy, creating a strong impulse to redose after the effects start to wear off, due to it's euphoric rush and short duration, creating a pattern of repeated use similar to that of insufflated cocaine or methamphetamine. Oxycodone is much different, having a reasonably solid duration, no rush to speak of, and a less sedating, more stimulating high. It's generally less euphoric, although oxycodone's euphoria is much smoother, less fiendy, longer lasting, and generally a more standard, "normal" opiate. 2mg hydromorphone insufflated was stronger than any dose of oxy I've ever taken. I did that 2mg while i had 0 tolerance, though, so your dose will be a lot higher if you are a regular user. you withdraw from hydromorphone very quickly, and generally most opiate addicts i've met don't use it simply because they cannot afford it with the regularity of which they had to use it to avoid WDs and stay euphoric, as the short duration causes more intense, immediate cravings, which creates more problems for your average heroin addict, who is used to fixing up around 3-6 times a day, and will have to dose hydromorphone around once every hour or two, WDs starting after 3 hours of abstinence. It's fun now and then, but don't make it a habit, stick to your oxy as much as possible, dilaudid will steal your soul quicker and more violently than heroin, cause it really is that good. IMO it's like taking the fiendiness of meth and combining it with the WDs of heroin. Not fun.

Withdrawals after 3 hours??? Sorry, I'm going to have to disagree with you there. While there's no question that hydro is a shorter acting opiate than almost anything else commonly available, I have NEVER taken any opiate and had withdrawal that quickly. I used to be very heavily addicted to hydro too, and I have shot 24+ mg at a time. Even then, the first noticeable withdrawal symptoms tended to come on after about 7 hours since the last dose, and after 12 hours it begins to get very uncomfortable - roughly the same as day one of heroin withdrawal.

anything less than 30mg of Oxy wont give you that "yeah, I am FUCKED UP" feeling from my experience. At best you just feel slightly numb and kind of like a combination of weed and xanax in your mind as you still think differently like when on weed but your inhibitions are dramatically lowered like when youre on xanax.

but thats just from my personal experiences, people are different

A statement like this is completely specious, no offense. How high you feel from a drug is dependent on MANY factors; what may seem like a relatively inactive or weak dose to you could have another high off their ass and fading in and out of cosciousness. It depends not only on your tolerance but also heavily on your metabolism, your natural levels of enzymes, your body weight and what other drugs you've taken, among others. When I was a total opiate newbie, 20 mg of percocet (4 pills) was pretty much the greatest thing ever - and I say that after 7-8 years following of heavy IV use of H, Dilaudid and many others.

Oxycodone is more of a Kappa Agonist.
Whilst Hydromorphone is more of a mu Agonist.

You can find a neat little table on the Opiod Receptor wiki page.
Go to the subtypes of opiod receptors for more info...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opioid_receptor#cite_note-pmid16402099-12

I doubt it could be true. There is an article stating that oxycodone-induced analgesia comes from one kappa receptor subtype as opposed to morphine-induced analgesia coming from mu receptors, however, it's against any SAR for morphinan type opioids, so I'm not even going to look for it right now. Here is a study comparing the affinity of morphine and oxycodone at mu and kappa receptors in rats (source 1, source 2). The 14-OH group generally decreases the affinity towards kappa receptors, also, the methyl ether at C3 is less favourable than plain phenol for kappa binding. What's also important is intrinsic activity, I suppose 14-hydroxymorphinans have a lower efficacy at kappa than their non-hydroxylated counterparts. There was a research done on 5-alkyl-6-keto analogues of levorphanol (source 3) and some 14-hydroxy analogues turned out to be potent kappa antagonists with the 5-ethyl analogue being around the antagonistic potency of norbinaltorphimine! Kappa antagonists increase monoamine levels (I'm not sure about the direct effect on 5-HT and NA, but the direct effect on DA is an increase in nucleus accumbens) hence a stimulatory effect. Buprenorphine is one example of a kappa antagonist that produces a more stimulatory high as compared to the much more sedated morphine high. I suspect oxycodone and oxymorphone may have a reduced efficacy at kappa receptors and that's the reason why they're less sedating than morphine. Kappa agonists on the other hand are generally associated with sedation and dissociation among other effects. In my opinion kappa agonism is actually an important part of effects of morphine and other morphinans producing deep nodding due to a slightly dissociative effect.

Last edited by a moderator: