• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Oxycodone compared to Hydromorphone

grizmoblust

Greenlighter
For the last few months I've taken Hydromorphone on a semi-regular basis in small amounts (4-6mg), and prior to that the only opiate I had experience with was Hydrocodone.
Last week I obtained some Percosets and Oxycontin, and a friend and I each took a Perc (10mg). Even though it was nice, it wasn't as good as I expected. Prior to this I was under the impression that Oxy is the best/most preferred opiate, but I found it lacking compared to the usual Hydromorphone. A few hours later I went home and snorted 4mg of Hydromorphone which was quite nice, and helped from the letdown of Oxy. The next day we took another 10mg Perc and an Oxycontin (20mg) and even though that was an improvement it still isn't the same. From my experiences I deduced that hydromorphone has a strong body high, whereas Oxy has a strong mental high, and assume that this (combined with how used to Hydromorphone I am) is the cause for my let down, and why I currently would choose to take Hydromorphone over Oxycodone. The rush obtained from snorting Hydromorphone, as I usually do, is also part of it, and without trying CWE I have only orally taken the Oxy.
Does anyone have any light to shed on this issue, or relevant discussion/questions?

I prefer the mood lift and slight energy boost I get with oxycodone. I was recently switched from norco 10/325 to oxycontin 20 and find that I can take just one pill all day and it helps me get stuff done during the day, even makes me more outgoing and less irritable. I can take one during the day, if the pain gets bad then I take an ibuprofen and then at night before bed take a phenergan and a norco. I have taken hydromorphone pills in the past orally and had no pain relief. I have also had it intravenously and it was effective, but too psychoactive for me. It makes me crazy as heck. The few shots I had of hydromorphone were very nice however.

I am in pain management though, so I am not trying to get really high anymore like I did in my early twenties. I have always prefered the less sedating drugs because they make me feel happy, and I just get mopey and paranoid on the more sedating ones.

Perhaps you just prefer the more sedated high?

All depends on your ROA. Oral or up the nose.. I've heard it go both ways as far as preference. A lot of people like the more stimulating oxy high. However, if we're talking IV.. oxy doesn't hold a candle to hydromorphone.

You need to understand about how different drugs work better (or worse) depending on how you take the drug (snorting, chewing, shooting)

Hydromorphone is a superior opiate via snorting and shooting (not recommended). Hydromorphone sucks orally.

Oxycodone on the other hand is an excellent drug to take by mouth, and is not so good snorting and absolutely horrible to shoot (any pill in general is bad to shoot but Hydromorphone is the easiest to shoot because it doesn't have nearly as much filler and binders than oxycodone does).

So do some research, maybe look into the Opiate Potentiation Mega-Thread for tips on improving the duration and intensity of the effects and definitely start looking into "bio availability" in terms of each drugs best method of ingestion.

Hydromorphone is also a lot stronger than oxycodone. 10mg percocets aren't going to compare to 8mg hydromorphone tablets as there is a cross tolerance between the two.

Hydromorphone is also a lot stronger than oxycodone. 10mg percocets aren't going to compare to 8mg hydromorphone tablets as there is a cross tolerance between the two.

Absolutely.
I prefer oxycodone, as Hydromorphone has always made me feel very angry, depressed, etc...BUT, that's not the point lol
Like our friend Znegative said, the doses being compared here aren't equivalent.
Oxycodone ir is available in much higher doses (although I'm not saying you should take more). For example, I take 60-75mg every 4 hours as needed for breakthrough pain.
I guess either way, it's all subjective and we all have our own unique preferences.
Great first post, Grismoblust, and welcome to BL :)

I prefer the mood lift and slight energy boost I get with oxycodone. I was recently switched from norco 10/325 to oxycontin 20 and find that I can take just one pill all day and it helps me get stuff done during the day, even makes me more outgoing and less irritable. I can take one during the day, if the pain gets bad then I take an ibuprofen and then at night before bed take a phenergan and a norco. I have taken hydromorphone pills in the past orally and had no pain relief. I have also had it intravenously and it was effective, but too psychoactive for me. It makes me crazy as heck. The few shots I had of hydromorphone were very nice however.

I am in pain management though, so I am not trying to get really high anymore like I did in my early twenties. I have always prefered the less sedating drugs because they make me feel happy, and I just get mopey and paranoid on the more sedating ones.

Perhaps you just prefer the more sedated high?

I'm not sure I see exactly how it's a more sedated high, the extra body high does have somewhat of a more sedating/relaxing effect, but I'd say overall it's about as energizing and motivating as Oxycodone...

I'm aware of the bio availability of both of the drugs, and as such have only plugged and snorted Hydromorphone (for the last several weeks only the latter though). I'm also aware that the rush from snorting as opposed to the lack of it from oral Oxycodone is part of the reason why I like Hydromorphone more, but I don't think that's the only reason.

hydromorphone is much different than oxy. Oxy doesnt make you rush, whereas the dilaudid rush is widely considered to be one of the strongest and post pleasurable. also, dilaudid has a low oral bioavailability, and a short duration, meaning that to feel strong effects, it must either be snorted or plugged (IV is a popular ROA, but I'm not reccomending it, as IV use is very unsafe, especially with pharmaceutical pills that contain adulterants which can be harmful to your veins, and even micron filtering is gonna be of much help. Dilaudid is usually very fiendy, creating a strong impulse to redose after the effects start to wear off, due to it's euphoric rush and short duration, creating a pattern of repeated use similar to that of insufflated cocaine or methamphetamine. Oxycodone is much different, having a reasonably solid duration, no rush to speak of, and a less sedating, more stimulating high. It's generally less euphoric, although oxycodone's euphoria is much smoother, less fiendy, longer lasting, and generally a more standard, "normal" opiate. 2mg hydromorphone insufflated was stronger than any dose of oxy I've ever taken. I did that 2mg while i had 0 tolerance, though, so your dose will be a lot higher if you are a regular user. you withdraw from hydromorphone very quickly, and generally most opiate addicts i've met don't use it simply because they cannot afford it with the regularity of which they had to use it to avoid WDs and stay euphoric, as the short duration causes more intense, immediate cravings, which creates more problems for your average heroin addict, who is used to fixing up around 3-6 times a day, and will have to dose hydromorphone around once every hour or two, WDs starting after 3 hours of abstinence. It's fun now and then, but don't make it a habit, stick to your oxy as much as possible, dilaudid will steal your soul quicker and more violently than heroin, cause it really is that good. IMO it's like taking the fiendiness of meth and combining it with the WDs of heroin. Not fun.

hydromorphone is much different than oxy. Oxy doesnt make you rush, whereas the dilaudid rush is widely considered to be one of the strongest and post pleasurable. also, dilaudid has a low oral bioavailability, and a short duration, meaning that to feel strong effects, it must either be snorted or plugged (IV is a popular ROA, but I'm not reccomending it, as IV use is very unsafe, especially with pharmaceutical pills that contain adulterants which can be harmful to your veins, and even micron filtering is gonna be of much help. Dilaudid is usually very fiendy, creating a strong impulse to redose after the effects start to wear off, due to it's euphoric rush and short duration, creating a pattern of repeated use similar to that of insufflated cocaine or methamphetamine. Oxycodone is much different, having a reasonably solid duration, no rush to speak of, and a less sedating, more stimulating high. It's generally less euphoric, although oxycodone's euphoria is much smoother, less fiendy, longer lasting, and generally a more standard, "normal" opiate. 2mg hydromorphone insufflated was stronger than any dose of oxy I've ever taken. I did that 2mg while i had 0 tolerance, though, so your dose will be a lot higher if you are a regular user. you withdraw from hydromorphone very quickly, and generally most opiate addicts i've met don't use it simply because they cannot afford it with the regularity of which they had to use it to avoid WDs and stay euphoric, as the short duration causes more intense, immediate cravings, which creates more problems for your average heroin addict, who is used to fixing up around 3-6 times a day, and will have to dose hydromorphone around once every hour or two, WDs starting after 3 hours of abstinence. It's fun now and then, but don't make it a habit, stick to your oxy as much as possible, dilaudid will steal your soul quicker and more violently than heroin, cause it really is that good. IMO it's like taking the fiendiness of meth and combining it with the WDs of heroin. Not fun.

BigFan,

Don't know if you read what I posted earlier, but when I had Hydromorphone, I took it by mouth. Like I said, it made me feel really down in the dumps and outright mad. Could this be due to the ROA I used?
This may be silly question, but is it possible for the same drug to give someone a completely different feeling when, for example, the drug is taken by mouth on one occasion , and on another snorted?
I also wonder if any of you who find Hydromorphone pleasurable take it PO, or generally use other ROA's?
Thanks for any answers, guys. I'm curious about this...I haven't heard many people say they dislike this drug; Itd be interesting to know if it's due to the fact I took it by mouth.

anything less than 30mg of Oxy wont give you that "yeah, I am FUCKED UP" feeling from my experience. At best you just feel slightly numb and kind of like a combination of weed and xanax in your mind as you still think differently like when on weed but your inhibitions are dramatically lowered like when youre on xanax.

but thats just from my personal experiences, people are different

He/she did not post anywhere about IV'ing, nor should you...Yeah, Dr's usually just look at the numbers (mg's) and it just doesnt equate in pain relief. An oral 30 mg's of oxycodone hcl may knock my pain down in 40 minutes, where 30 mg's hydromorphone may just make you feel a little drowsy w/ little pain relief.

anything less than 30mg of Oxy wont give you that "yeah, I am FUCKED UP" feeling from my experience. At best you just feel slightly numb and kind of like a combination of weed and xanax in your mind as you still think differently like when on weed but your inhibitions are dramatically lowered like when youre on xanax.

but thats just from my personal experiences, people are different

"30 mg's makes you feel like a combination of weed & xanax in you mind" (excuse me while I go puke)...

why would that make you puke that is a very common combination that is enjoyed by a lot of people

BigFan,

Don't know if you read what I posted earlier, but when I had Hydromorphone, I took it by mouth. Like I said, it made me feel really down in the dumps and outright mad. Could this be due to the ROA I used?
This may be silly question, but is it possible for the same drug to give someone a completely different feeling when, for example, the drug is taken by mouth on one occasion , and on another snorted?
I also wonder if any of you who find Hydromorphone pleasurable take it PO, or generally use other ROA's?
Thanks for any answers, guys. I'm curious about this...I haven't heard many people say they dislike this drug; Itd be interesting to know if it's due to the fact I took it by mouth.

insufflation is the most common ROA and will bring very pleasurable effects, oral has too low a bioavailability, and plugging is basically like IM IME, and is the best ROA, but not to be used by a person who is not well familiar with the substance at hand, as it is much stronger than other ROAs IME.

yes, different ROAs may have different effects on substances, for example, with meth, vaporizing is much calmer and euphoric than snorting, which is more "tweaky" and speedy than other ROAs, and oral dosing can feel almost like a sedative at moderate doses.

insufflation is the most common ROA and will bring very pleasurable effects, oral has too low a bioavailability, and plugging is basically like IM IME, and is the best ROA, but not to be used by a person who is not well familiar with the substance at hand, as it is much stronger than other ROAs IME.

yes, different ROAs may have different effects on substances, for example, with meth, vaporizing is much calmer and euphoric than snorting, which is more "tweaky" and speedy than other ROAs, and oral dosing can feel almost like a sedative at moderate doses.

VERY interesting, thanks for the reply, BigFan.
This came to mind a couple of hours ago, and I have been wondering about it for awhile. Sorry for interruption of the topic...
I take oxycodone ir 60-75mg every 4 hours as needed for breakthrough pain with Fentanyl patch. A handful of times, I tried 30mg intranasal (didn't want to overdo it).
Each time it was WAY different from what I experience when I take it by mouth. By mouth I get great pain relief along with a little extra energy, although very content at the same time.
When I tried the other ROA, I got nothing but horrible headaches and extreme sleepiness. Also felt very withdrawn. I always wondered why?
Well, I know it's a good thing that I prefer it PO. ;) Just a curious situation.

Hydromorphone is more potent on a mg per mg basis, but oxycodone is more orally active. If you are planning to take the drug orally then go with oxycodone. IV go with hydromorphone.

This is the same situation as with morphine vs oxycodone.

Oxycodone is pretty much crap, at least IME, for a rush from injection. Also it feels different, not like a real nod. I've gotta take ridiculous amounts of it to be satisfied, whereas with hydromorphone, I can get by (if I DO use) on a mere 2mg (although I've done much more).

Honestly, I probably would just get rid of oxy/percs unless I have more than 100mg, and that's the low end of "good enough" for me. And I'm not even regularly using, even like bimonthly. I'm basically not using it, and haven't used it in forever, but would still need such massive doses, from experience.

Redosing every hour or two? LOL! What a drug-waste! If I didn't wait at LEAST four hours from my last dose when I was hooked, then my rush would not be satisfactory. In fact, because of the half-life, I recommend redosing after ~8 hours. ~8 hours is a good minimum to get a rush approximating the last one you got using the same dose.

Redosing every hour or two? LOL! What a drug-waste! If I didn't wait at LEAST four hours from my last dose when I was hooked, then my rush would not be satisfactory. In fact, because of the half-life, I recommend redosing after ~8 hours. ~8 hours is a good minimum to get a rush approximating the last one you got using the same dose.

Dude you talk like you've discovered the theory of everything. So...why is there 70% dark energy in space and what is it?

Are you helping humanity land on Mars? Chill out broski.