• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids How much Methodone until I block my Oxy?

Lichking83

Greenlighter
I recently was switched from 25mg Fent patches to 10mg Methadone 3X in 24 hours. I am wondering how much of this stuff I can take until I hit that opiate blocker point, because I think my doctor might want to double the dose next visit which means I will be taking 60mg every 24 hours and with the Halflife being so long I could end up having much more in my system. I could try to stay to stay at 10mg tablets, but the increase would help with pain if the drug does indeed do well for my pain. I need to also say that I take my medicine mainly for pain relief, but I will not lie and say I do not enjoy getting high as well. With the costs of the drug being so low I could just take part of my 24 hour dose, which is why I am asking about the blocking effect and where it is. Also, I have heard that it is a myth as well and that people get Bupe and Methadone mixed up and that Methadone does not really block them. Anyhow, I will list off my medications and maybe you can tell me how high I can go without losing my high.

Oxycodone - 60-90mg every 24 hours broken up in to 30mg at a time.
Methodone - Prescribed 30mg every 24 hours with 10mg every 8 hours. My Doctor might double that. I just got the medicine today and took 10mg about 10 hours ago.
Valium - 0-20mg every 24 hours. Sometimes I will take 10-20mg at once for a couple days in a row. sometimes I will go weeks without taking any.
Zanaflex - 8-12 mg every 24 hours, all of it at one time and usually take it before bed.

I think its 80mg to block the effects of all opiates/opioids, not totally sure though.

So 80mgs taken every 24 hours? The other part I am unsure of is that it seems that even if you take 30mg or 60mg every 24 hours there might always be 1 or 2 pills still in your system because of the long half life. So you could take 60mg every 24 hours and end up having 80mg or 100mg, but not sure.

I could use some more people's opinions on this subject and the other questions that followed from my initial questions and replies. Any help is greatly appreciated.

and take that until you feel your comfortable then wean off of that by reducing the dosage as it gets used to your body...Methadone is very addicting believe me, my buddys been on the waffers (40mg methadone pills) for about 4 years he take about 200 mgs of it a day

they say 30mg is the standard blockade dose..i disagree as i have got significant breakthrough with my normal amt/ of dope i used to do, however i gave up dope years ago, but just giving a point that 30mg isnt enough even tho doctors consider it blockade

I was unaware that methadone blocked other opiates/opiods. I always though it was just bupe. Maybe it's not blocking per say, it's just super saturation of the receptors so other opiates can't bind? And as for the specific ammnt, idk sorry :/

^thats correct, but it's just the same. However, attempting to "break through" the methadone (a stupid term because it's not possible at a blocking dose IME) can lead to overdose.

IME, Methadone blocks at chronic dosing of 70mg and above. 60mg is on the cusp I believe. I know for sure that dosages of 40mg and under do not block (I take 40mg) though it can significantly increase your tolerance.

The clinic I go to says the average blocking dose occurs between 80-120mg/ day. Everyone is different though.

Blocking means diff things in the context of methadone vs Bupe. With Bupe, it has a stronger binding affinity at the receptors than pretty much all usual recreational opiates (heroin, oxycodone, hydrocodone, morphine, etc...) So at a certain dosage, all your opiate receptors are filled with Bupe, and so it "blocks" the other opiates from binding and thus you can't get high.

Methadone on the other hand just saturates your receptors due to its long half life. While it has a strong binding affinity, drugs like heroin can "kick off" the methadone and bind to the receptor getting you high. BUT, since there is so much methadone in your system, people need to use dangerously high doses of opiates to successfuly knock off enough methadone from enough of their receptors for this to work. IV users refer to this as "shooting through" the methadone.
Also, since your brain has been flooded with methadone, it is kind of tapped out already, so even if you get another opiate to bind to the receptors in sufficient numbers, the effects will be dulled since your brain has used to being high already. (Think of the difference between taking your usual dose in the morning when your system is relatively clean vs taking that dose in the evening when you already have opiates in your system...it works but the first dose always feels more euphoric than the 3rd or 4th dose)

And its true that methadone builds in your system over time, but its pointless to think of your doses based on the build up. Just use your daily dosage. So 30mg /day is just that, 30mg/day, its not (for the purpose of finding ur blocking dose) 30mg/day plus 15mg from yesterday plus 2mg from monday etc....30mg/day = 30mg/day for this context.

My advise, is to take just the 30mg of methadone ur being Rx'ed now if its giving you adequate pain relief and don't go up to 60mg, u don't need it for pain and it won't give you more euphoria. And at 30mg/day, you can still get high from your oxy. Especially b/c u will only have 10 or 20mg's in ur system for most of the day since ur splitting up the doses. And then if you find that the 'done is blocking ur high and ud rather get high than get rid of pain, lower ur 'done dosage.

Please be careful with the valium, that's dangerous with opiates but especially so with methadone, and also watch ur oxy dose, don't go crazy with it trying to get high while on 'done. That's a dangerous game too

the methadone doesnt really cause "blockage" basically it's a very very strong opioid, it raises your tolerance incredibly so high that attempting to take other opiate will more than likely have no effect

I was on Oxy pretty good there for about a month, then took (~20) 10mg methadones over the last week (a total over a week period of ~200mg). I took about ~17mgs of Methadone about 8 hours ago and now all I have left is (2) 20mg oxys, but I want to wait long enough for them to have some effect. From reading the posts on this topic, it sounds like being that I was recreational using methadone basically I should wait 48 hours? But then there's people saying that if I was taking less than 50 or 60 mg it shouldn't block the receptors at all? I'm just a bit lost. Because I only switched over to methadone for a week and didn't take all that much will it have little to no affect on the Oxys? I'd like to take both pills tomorrow before work, but I don't want to waste them only to feel like crap later. How long do I need to wait for the ~200mg of methadone to get out my receptors enough to get any effect from the Oxys? I think the first day on methadone I took 40mg, then 35mg the next day, then 30, 30,25, 20, then 20, and today I took 17.5mg.

Last edited:
^Methadone is a full agonist and large doses saturate your receptors, but will not out-compete other opioids for [receptor] sites the way buprenorphine does.

You could take the oxydocone now and get an effect, but keep in mind that your tolerance will be higher from taking methadone, and consequently the effects may seem weaker than before.