• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Rapid Opiate Detox (my experience at home) - Naltrexone

Status
Not open for further replies.

user101

Greenlighter
This is my first post purely with the intent to help others get free of their physical and physiological addiction to opiates and is based on my experiences.

I am a working and college student who progressed through an opiate addiction over the course of a year starting with CWE of codeine preparations-->poppy seed tea-->fentanyl and oxycodone (OC's). With a daily habit developing (with the last two over the last 1.5 months) my life was going downhill quickly.

I obtained 4.5mg capsules of naltrexone (strong opiod ANTAgonist with 3-4hr half life) which i planned to use to do the rapid detox by myself at home.

My experience;

Wed night last opoid dose 5pm, then at 10pm take 3mg of melatonin and 50mg of promethazine and pop a 4.5mg of Naltrexone.
One hours sleep then awoke by the WORST precipitated withdrawals i have ever had which comprised INTENSE DISCOMFORT (something only understood by someone who has been through such a process), EXTREME RESTELESS LEGS/"BUGS UNDER THE SKIN", rapidly switching hot and cold chills, etc...in which nothing i could do would provide any relief whatsoever showers, etc. This was utter hell which i would wish on no-one. After 1 hour i popped 10mg valium(which i have no tolerance to AT ALL as i hate the shite) which did nothing, then and 20mg which finally knocked me out after 2.5 hours of this pure torture. The next morning i was physically lethargic and exhausted but essentially NO opiate cravings and withdrawal effects. (In hind-site this was the stupidest thing i could of done taking a strong opiod hours before taking an even stronger opoid anatagonist as you go into immediate precipitated withdrawals.)

On Thursday i had a quite day just getting food and electrolytes back into me and felt okay. Note: your bowels suddenly become unblocked but i was able to control mostly. Too scared to dose naltrexone again this night as i wanted to let my body gain some energy and get some sleep.

Friday. At night i take 2 Valiums(5mg) + promethazine and melatonin beforehand to try and sleep through it because that would be heaven :)
No, Stupid idea i awoke and after being VERY restless etc like above for 30 min 2 more valiums got to sleep after an hour. But this experience was only a 2/10 compared to the first night.

Sat morn: Feel tired and a bit lethargic but NO opiate cravings. That day i went out with friends around the city and walked like 5km and was able to eat at restaurant with no nausea but general lack of appetite.
That night (last night) i dosed the naltrexone 4.5mg again but only had one 5mg valium and 50mg promethazine before hand and i pretty much sleep throughout the entire opiod blockage awaking for periods of several minutes feeling minor discomfort. This was a 0.1/10 compared to the first experience.

Sunday morn (NOW): I feel like a champ to the extent that i am not sure whether this is normal or whether i am slightly high (but body is still a bit tired, and i am still incredibly unfit from lying around the majority of the time opiated in the previous month). Majority of my apatite is back and i feel like going and cycling and doing some exercises so i can get in shape for skiing next weekend. Mentally this seems to good to be true and have been like this for 6 hrs since i have been awake.

My plan will be taking naltrexone every night from now on as every night gets easier. I have been through this detox process before but only with codeine addiction for detoxing. After about the 4-5 night of taking it you will sleep right through and after 8-9 night your body will be so use to it you would unlikely notice much discomfort even if you were awake during that period.

ANYWAY HERE ARE MY THOUGHTS (knowledgeable persons please correct me if need be):
Over time Opiods agonists down regulate the body's natural endorphin system.
Over time Opiods antagonists up regulate the body's natural endorphin system.
If you take low dose naltrexone (starting at 2mg then working up to 5 to 6mg+) at night you will generally cause an up-regulation of the body's natural endorphins during the daytime, giving antidepressant effects and energy. I have noticed from experimentation 2-3 times before in months apart in addiction cycles/binges if you stick to the say ~4mg a night and dont increase your only a bit higher than baseline for ~2weeks until the body "re-adjusts" to now its tolerance to naltrexone. PM me or post if you want further links to evidence.

MY CONCLUSION:
Every second of that pain was worth how good i feel now (after 4-5days with no desire at all to touch opiates), rather than the usual cold turkey approach where you dont feel your normal self for weeks or months?

That's interesting. I knew naltrexone will precipitate wd but I didn't know it upregulates the endorphin system. Could one just go through the acute withdrawls without naltrexone and afterwards take naltrexone to get over the PAWS faster?

Yes that is what i would propose is a better treatment plan for those who don't want to go through PD's. First time will still be rather unpleasant due to the individual not having experienced "complete?" opiod blockage. As far as i understand there are limitations on the extent of upregulation of the endorphin system. i.e. too much taken and it last well and truely into the next day(which would be unpleasant). Also the body does build tolerance to antagonist similarly as it does to agonist.

I HIGHLY recommend people try this to get over the blues after the worst of it because thats when temptation sets in because you 'just dont feel right'

I have a naltrexone pill as well n plan to do this. Jam having my last taste and then tonight I'm going to pop the naltrexone

Your not exagerrating about how bad it is. I took 50 mg of naltrexone the day after taking 8mg suboxone with no tolerance for shits and giggles, lets just say the giggles were left out of that equation. Instant burning fire in my anus, sun killed my eyes, restless legs worse than any opiate detox ive been through. I didnt even have a habit at the time. So this isnt something to do on a whim if you have work in the morning, or live with relatives who are quick to call 911. Theres a reason why rapid detox is usually done under general anaesthesia.

I know it sounds if I'm not thinking correctly however i am not going to take the pill whole. By that i mean i plan to crush it up into powder and take abit at a time. Its friday 3.15pm right now and maybe i shouldnt take it today but tomorrow. That way there is at least a 12hrs since the last heroin used

Actually naltrexone is partial inverse agonist so it def upregulates the receptors. But it hurts, basically you're just trading time with WD intensity. Your dosage was quite low and indeed I have similiar experience that it can speed up the withdrawal.

Btw. naltrexone has terribly long half life of 13hrs, if someone is going to take a high dose to precipitate I would recommend having bupe on hand cause it can reverse it, otherwise one might very well commit a suicide.

Just went through this on accident. Coming off dope, third day pop 50mg naltrexone, thinking keep me clean...oh my fucking God. I about called 911 dozen times, fucking losing grip with realty. Worse 12 hours of my life

Status
Not open for further replies.