• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Ultimate Poppy Pod/Seed Tea Mega Merged Thread IV

Ok I thought there were only two species of poppies wherein opiates naturally occur. So I thought she meant some are contaminated with chemicals they're grown near.

I'm sure that is a possible thing, however unlikely.

When will my status say bluelighter?

Be very careful with what poppies you buy. Some are very toxic.

I'm curious about this.

Papaver bracteatum is a type of poppy which apparently does not contain morphine, but does contain thebaine - which produces nasty and dangerous effects if consumed in high doses. A google image search reveals that p.bracteatum looks only vaguely similar to p.somniferum (that is, if you know your poppies and have an interest in plants, otherwise they look similar), with red petals, a dark crown, and dark stamen, as opposed to the variety of coloured petals, yellow-to-green crown, and light stamen of the p.somniferum. I guess dried pods might be a lot harder to differentiate, and seeds harder still (but I'm not actually sure as I haven't seen p.bracteatum pods or seeds).

A person would not want to harvest and consume any p.bracteatum product, and it would be a bad vendor who sold such products as p.somniferum.

But there's another issue which is more persistently confusing...

I've researched poppy types and as far as dangerous toxicity in the somniferum family goes, am only aware of the high-thebaine strains which are grown in Tasmania (Australia) for the production of some modern opioids (OXYgoodness, for instance). I believe the thebaine content is high enough to be very unpleasant or potentially dangerous if consumed. However, I don't think I've heard of any definitive cases where someone actually had a high-thebaine strain in their garden/grow and/or became very ill as a result of consumption. People get sick from opium products because they contain a powerful and unpredictable cocktail of alkaloids - feeling nauseous and even puking is part and parcel of the experience for people with low tolerance (or sometimes even for those who have a tolerance). I think this might have led to misunderstandings in the past, with people getting a strong batch and thinking they've been poisoned (which they kind of have - overdose on opiates is unpleasant) by something that shouldn't be in the mix.

This second case of 'toxic poppy which looks like good poppy and is out there' almost seems like an urban myth, along with various speculations about how to identify this type (if it bleeds red latex, it's dangerous! - has been going around for years). I know there is indeed a high-thebaine poppy which looks like the high-morphine poppy, the question is: Is it actually circulating amongst non-pharmaceutical growers and should 'home enthusiasts' be worried about it?

Years ago I looked up the relevant government websites relating to Tasmanian grown poppies used for pharmaceutical produce, and it actually stated on the site that the high-thebaine variety seeds are destroyed after harvest, while the high-morhpine strain - and only that strain - are cleaned and sent off to be sold as culinary stock (ie. the seeds you buy in the supermarket spice aisle). So those special seeds - named the "Norman" strain, I think - shouldn't be 'out there in the public field', so to speak. At least not in significant numbers.

I'd be really appreciative if someone could say definitively whether that variety is 'out in the field' and whether anyone has reasonable evidence suggesting that someone has actually become sick from consumption of it. I think it's an interesting issue.

Thanks

Crazy Strong Poppy Pods...

I always heard the risk of OD'ing on poppy pod tea because of the unpredictable opiate content.

I been grinding up pods and eating by the spoonful for like 6 months. I remember I used to get normal off 2 pods, high off 4. After a couple months I was eating 4 pods every day to get normal, and would sometimes come home at lunch and eat a couple more to get a good nod going.

The last few months though, I've been eating 6-8 pods a day just to get normal, and haven't felt "jammed" in months. I figured it was just tolerance, and I've been tapering down, using less and less pods to get normal.

THEN yesterday my 8 pound shipment came in (same place as always). I was already feeling very comfortably opiated, but took 5-6 spoonfuls (heaping teaspoon) real quick before going out for the night at around 6pm. I was frikken wasted all night. I got home at midnight and laid down to watch a couple movies and at 4am I was still getting itcher, laying on my bed jammed out of my mind. (I had some drinks too). I ended up puking at 4am and it was full of ground pod powder. I haven't felt that jammed since the last time I shot heroin.

Today, I woke up at 6pm cuz the restless legs woke me up, in withdrawal. I ate 6 tspoons of the pods I grinded last night, and about 30-40 minutes later I get that "hot" feeling in my head and my stomach starts turning (going from withdrawal stomach to happy stomach).

I don't know what's up with these pods. They're either absolute fire, or the ones I've been getting from the same place were absolute garbage.

I'm used to eating like 20+ heaping teaspoons of ground pods just to get comfortable every day, and now I eat like 6 and get ROCKED.

I heard pod potency varied, but never expected it was this drastic. I'm glad I didn't eat the whole bag before going out last night or I'd have probably blacked out somewhere.

Anybody else ever had this type of experience with pods?

This is common because pods are not standardised for morphine content

Always titrate evry new batch of poppy pods you get. People have killed themselves on poppy tea from underestimnating the potency of new crops.

@halif - my understanding (limited as it is ) is that this is true. the 'norman' strain was developed with genetic modification and the seeds are not used as culinary poppy seeds because the company that developed them would not wish their secret high-thebaine poppies to be grown and sold elsewhere. i don't have a reference for this...but it makes a certain kind of sense.

the pods in question could be really weak, or possibly another type of poppy. i've never bought pods, only grown them, so to me they are pretty recognisable.

Last edited:
Yea you should always test out small ammounts of un predictable opiates. Besides a few times...EVERY TIME I bang dope I ALWAYS only inject about 5 units at first, wait a min and then age my dose. You can always up your dose...decreaseing it is alot harder (unless you have naltroxone)

Funny, I was just researching the polish 'home-made heroin-Compote' out of boredome, which is another crude cocktail made at home thats basically the same thing as PPT (though I believe it's made from the stalks instead), but mixed with simple solvents and injected....

Anyway, it does not surprise me really that you would experience something like this. Like Sekio said, these pods aren't measured for active opiate content, so it's really a roll of the dice every time, similar to heroin as 80mg mentioned. I've never used PPT, but my experience with heroin has been that the majority of the time, all the dope I get is pretty similar in potency. Sometimes it's a bit better, sometimes it's a bit weaker. Everyonce in a while however, I'll buy a bag/bundle that is completely off the wall in terms of potency, so I never exceed one bag for the first shot of a new batch.

Eventually my pods had an effect on me, I got ridiculously drowsy, and kind of felt good, I was itchy, and my pupils became constricted. It still wasn't what I was hoping for though. Today I am trying a much more significant dose of 25 grams. I am ingesting It in thirds over the course of a few hours to be safe. The tea I made today is also much darker and more bitter. It should work out fine, after all, the pods were marketed as papaver somniferum. Wish me luck!

Eventually my pods had an effect on me, I got ridiculously drowsy, and kind of felt good, I was itchy, and my pupils became constricted. It still wasn't what I was hoping for though. Today I am trying a much more significant dose of 25 grams. I am ingesting It in thirds over the course of a few hours to be safe. The tea I made today is also much darker and more bitter. It should work out fine, after all, the pods were marketed as papaver somniferum. Wish me luck!

what exactly are you hoping for?
what do you expect pod tea to do? the effects you describe are pretty much the desired effect. if you take more, you don't get closer to some pharmaceutical opiate/opioid high - you'll just end up overdosing and making yourself sick.
trust me - i've overdosed on poppy pod tea and opium putty (residue that i cooked down and misjudged the dose). ODing on tea was an act of stupidity, but the putty was just me not being respectful enough of the poppy.
she's a subtle, but beautiful creature - but she will stomp you into the ground if you show no respect.

taking too much of any broad-spectrum alkaloid cocktail will make you very sick. it's not very forgiving, because it has such a long halflife. the couple of times i overdid it, i was curled up in foetal position in my bed with a pounding headache for over 24 hours. i would periodically crawl to the bathroom to puke.
taking huge amounts of pods is not a good idea. remember - you can always take more - opium is perfectly fine to re-dose on (unlike something like codeine) but it really pays to be careful.

Yeah well it's a good thing I was careful, I still feel that I had a weak batch due to the fact that my experience did not really correspond with the reports I had heard. I kind of made it sound like I experienced typical opiate effects, but it was really just borderline of the effects that I described. If I ever try this again, it will be with a larger strain of papaver somniferum, Maybe Papaver giganthemum, until then I will just stick to premium bali kratom:) Thanks for your input guys!

I brewed a too large batch of pod tea so I decided to evaporate all the water. Now I have a blackish mass of what I suppose is the good part in the tea.
But now my problem is I don't know what to do with it. I don't even know what this mass is called so research has proven hard.

Should I just eat it?

Here is a picture of it: http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/664/dsc00204vp.jpg

Last edited:
Well I have heard that when you boil your liquid down into putty it IS smokable, but it is not efficient at all and most of the alkaloids will be destroyed by the heat. Does anyone else have anything to say about this? I heard that the best way to smoke poppy pod putty is to vaporize it.

You should eat it, but you should be very careful with your dosage and start of with a small amount, then you should take more over a period of a few hours until you reach your desired state of bliss.

Don't waste your time boiling solution down to smoke.
Opium putty? Sure, but not seed wash or pod tea. A waste of perfectly good tea IMO

please don't merge this with another thread, it is off topic. My question is for spacejunk, do you get paid to be a moderator?

Here we go, this part wont be off topic, generally speaking, are pods that are jumbo/mammoth/large usually pretty good? When I got my small/medium pods they were on the low end of potency.

I have yet another question, can people get in trouble with the law for these discussions? Can posts be traced back to individuals by law enforcement and prosecuted?

I think this questions is important.

i have tried the grapefruit juice and got good results but i have found that o.j (no pulp) works way better