• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

[MEGA]Community Growing advice, tips, tricks, & experiences Part 5 (2012-2013)

I see, sounds like you're set on CFLs. But next time I would go with T5s if you have a choice.

Here's a pic of one guy's set up using a couple of Lightwave T5 lights (I've got one at home and have to say they're awesome for vegging, mothers and clones):

gallery_67064_3688_24565.jpg

The heat is less of an issue with T5s than it is with CFLs. They make all different sizes, too. Remember, the heat output from say 10 125CFLs is going to be more than the heat output from a single 1kW HPS.

If you can afford it long term eventually you might want to make the switch to an air-cooled reflector. Especially if you can vent outdoors, or way out the way of the grow room. I've used one of those babies and they really are awesome.

Last edited:
bit pattern, CFLs are self ballasted. The ballast is in there with the bulb. With a 1kW bulb you have the ballast outside of the or on the wall of the grow area. On a watt for watt basis, CFLs produce more heat than HPS bulbs, not less, and less usable light.

And to qualify the point about cost, I just looked at a typical shop. I'm not going to get into price specifics, but the cost of 10 CFLs is double that of a 1kW ballast. Granted, there is the cost of the HPS bulb and the contactor, but say you get 10 red CFLs and 10 blue for flowering and vegging respectively, that's quadruple now (even with just the 10 it's more).

Sorry it just seems a bit of an obscure way of doing it. I really don't understand how a bubbleponic system can be designed to be used with CFLs, that is unless you've got a head room issue but even then, you have options like SCROG, LST etc. Anyway CFLs work so whatever you do you'll get bud either way.

Last edited:
sorry to repost this for the 3rd time iv had a bollacking for postin in the wrong place lol
alright ppl im leepy from uk an iv been growin weed for about 9 yrs now my hobbie is building grow rooms and my own set ups ie nft flood an drain anything grow related really iv built rooms in most places you can think off some small some huge iv even done one underground thats my pride an joy lol well i hope to talk to all soon an find out what the crack is here at bluelight. be lucky an catch ya's later

ps anything at all i can help with regarding building rooms or what ever giz a shout ill be only too happy to help if poss

i also seen a few names on here from other forums im on /been on thc talk,uk4*0,roll it up, its like home already here

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeee the season is quickly approaching.

What strains are you guys growing this year?
I have some feminized OG Kush seeds that I'm contemplating, I'm 1005 going to buy some Malawi Gold, and then I'm either going to grow The White from clone or try to find another dank sativa.

sorry to repost this for the 3rd time iv had a bollacking for postin in the wrong place lol
alright ppl im leepy from uk an iv been growin weed for about 9 yrs now my hobbie is building grow rooms and my own set ups ie nft flood an drain anything grow related really iv built rooms in most places you can think off some small some huge iv even done one underground thats my pride an joy lol well i hope to talk to all soon an find out what the crack is here at bluelight. be lucky an catch ya's later

ps anything at all i can help with regarding building rooms or what ever giz a shout ill be only too happy to help if poss

i also seen a few names on here from other forums im on /been on thc talk,uk4*0,roll it up, its like home already here

Would you recommend covering your walls, floor and ceiling in Mylar or another reflective, metal type surface?

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeee the season is quickly approaching.

What strains are you guys growing this year?
I have some feminized OG Kush seeds that I'm contemplating, I'm 1005 going to buy some Malawi Gold, and then I'm either going to grow The White from clone or try to find another dank sativa.

Wrong end of the season down under. Next season though Laos Sativa. And hopefully an Aussie hybrid strain called Mind Body and Soul.
Will be cool to see how your Malawi goes.

hi freehugs i would defo recommend mylar m8 or paint it matt white that works just aswell so im told .Another thing dont buy cheap mylar its not worth a blow on a ragmans bugle lol

Hey guys, I got a few outdoor plants going at the moment, all of them been flowering for a few weeks and all females. :) Not growing any specific strain, just some bagseed that a mate of mine grew last year which turned out pretty nice. Another friend of mine had a stroke of bad luck this year, had a couple plants but they have both came up as males, any way, since he doesn't have any females to risk pollinating he agreed to let them go and collect some pollen for me in exchange for some seeds back when I pull the plants.

What I want to know is what stage would be ideal to apply pollen to some of my lower bud sites, as I have some fears that if I were to apply it too early it could have an adverse impact on my yield, as I would imagine the plant has little incentive to keep growing with the same vigour when it has already successfully reproduced for the season. Equally, I don't want to pollinate too late which would result in few, if any, viable seeds while detracting from the smoke quality of my final harvest.

The thing that makes it slightly more complicated is because I am not growing known genetics, I cannot be sure exactly when the plant will finish. My friends plant last year finished mid to late April last year, but since it was pollinated by an unknown male it could go longer or shorter than that. Is there an easy way to tell when you are in the last 4 or 5 weeks of flower? Bearing in mind this is my first grow and I cannot go by experience.

Any advice on this matter from those with experience would be greatly appreciated!

Get a pollen bag or something similar. Or take your chances and just take a finger full or a clean fine paint brush and put it on the lower branches soon on a day when there isn't too much wind. The insects will spread it to other branches though. Use the pollen as soon as it is harvested for best results.

As far as timing goes. I had some pollen floating around during the first few weeks of flowering (not applied by hand) Big seeds ripened early and only on the first calyx of each bud. Hasn't interfered with the rest of the flowering at all. If you could do that on purpose every time it would be the ultimate method. Otherwise use a physical barrier like a pollen bag or similar and do it as soon as the pollen starts falling.

Hai gais.

Has anyone had trouble with starting seeds indoors but not having them exactly on 18/6 every day? I have them by a window and then under and incandescent bulb until I transfer them to the greenie. If I don't turn the light on and off at 18/6 every day, is there a chance I could have problems with hermaphroditic plants in the future? They're feminized seeds, just thought I would add. And they're Og Kush <3.

Decided to try my hand at propagation. Cut these on saturday morning. Still looking good so far (tuesday morn) as far as i can tell, except for one in the back, that looks a little wilted, but I think it will make it. :D

- Did not pre-rinse the rockwool (didnt know, oops)
- Used one gallon of purified water (store bought, till my RO system arrives, my ph out of the tap is like 8.5-9 and its extremely hard)
- Quarter teaspoon General Hydroponics Maxi Grow
- Half teaspoon Myco Madness mycorrhizae/bacteria supplement
-One drop of superthrive
- Dyna Grow rooting gel dip
- misted inside of dome and left on for 24 hours, then removed dome (its raining out, so its about 100%RH)
-did not mist clones directly
-24hr 150w blue spec CFL

-Fire OG
-GDP
-Sour Diesel
-Alien OG
-Purple Cream (flowers)
-Jack Herer (flowers)
-Blue Dream
-The White (flowers)

20140302_190946.jpg

Last edited:
keeping them in dark for the first 48hrs following the cut helps immensely.

Fucken ripped! Just today, wicked purple pakistani indica. Hazards of the game I guess. I hope they appreciate what they stole off me even if it is 3 weeks too early. Cunts!

^ fuck that sux man. I only have a .22lr rifle but if ppl scaled my inpenitrable walls there would be trouble!

Someones probably mentioned it but, molasses . 2 table spoons of sulphur free molasses per gallon around budding/late flowering is definitely a good idea. I'm using that with fish emulsion atm, exclusively and shits getting D-yank.

Fucking hell Justayknow that sucks fucking balls! You got any idea who it might be?

I really cannot imagine how fucking shitty that must feel dude, I hope it hasn't got you too down.

I am paranoid one of my neighbors may steal one or all of my girls closer to harvest, the fact I have 4 dogs does help though as they should serve as a nice deterrent or at least alert me to the presence of thieves.

I don't care about losing the weed, I just don't want people in my yard or house. They did over the inside as well. I'm finished with growing now. Not worth the unwanted attention. Well past time to replace my dog too.

Well i lost like half of the ones i made from the flowers... And 4 of the regular ones... The rest still look good... The bottom leaves are really yellowing on a lot of them and most appear to be starting to root tho its hard to really tell cept the flowers i yanked out that were dying had no roots and were just turning brown and drying out... No real loss.. Just an experiment and most look viable and healthy so def a ein in my book :)

Sorry bout your grow getting ripped. justsayknow

Last edited: