Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

The GHB/GBL Addiction & Withdrawal Thread v.2

Charlielily

Greenlighter
Mod-edit:
First thread here

Hi guys, I've been through quite a few GBL withdrawals in the past, each getting progressively worse. I'm stupidly back on it, dosing 24/7 at about 1-2ml/2 hours. I need to get off it quick, and while working at the same time. I have about 80ml left, stocked up on plenty of valium, xanax and a few nitrazepam (and of course can get alcohol)

Anyone got any suggestions or ideas of the best way to do this? I can't do the phenibut route as completely skint and wanna start today. Thanks in advance x

Last edited by a moderator:
you should have probably done it over the weekend.

Space out your doses as long as possible, just dose when you NEED to. Only dose so that it is bearable, not so you get high.

Personally I never used any valium or xanax but those will sure help.

To add to that, dose so that you are in some discomfort. If you are dosing enough to make the WD symptoms go away then you're prolonging it. The more unpleasant it is, the faster you will be out. It's just a compromise beteween how long you can afford to be in WD and how much discomfort you can endure.

Last edited:
How long are people on it before withdrawals are unavoidable? Is it days, weeks or longer?

Depends how may times you have gone 24/7 before but personally about a week of 24/7, or at least pretty regular use and withdrawals start, just about bearable.

2+ weeks and it gets baaad.

Last edited:
Its been about 3 weeks 24/7. That used to give me no withdrawal at all but with this being about my 5th time (the first being almost 1 year 25/7!), the withdrawal effects feel pretty harsh!

Thanks for all your help so far guys :)

Chamomile tea actually helped me loads, I am being serious. Get a big box and chuck 3 bags in a cup and you really do notice the WD easing.

Also you obviously are not lowering your dose enough if you are still using smiles!!! ;)

I just went on a binge, and did 200ml of GHB over three days. 24/7.

Even from such a short binge I'm getting a nasty hangover/withdrawal, abused it too much in the past. The worst is when it starts wearing off (about 3 hours after dosing), shaky and totally dysphoric.

Benzo's don't help much for me. Lyrica/pregabaline takes away much more of the dysphoria. Cannabis helps for slowing me down, but I know that many people get extra anxious from smoking. Haven't tried beta-blockers, my heart is not very loud or fast although it has been after previous GHB-binges. I'm staying away from alcohol but a booze buzz would be very soothing now.

Done it cold Turkey on many an occasion in my wreckless youth, this was late 90's where I had no access to Bluelight. basically coming off gallons of the stuff in very long binges

Physically I was fine, but only now in retrospect I realise what those FULL conversations I was replaying in my mind were, they were full on auditory hallucinations.

Bottom line, dont fuck about, taper for gods sake. 3 weeks 24/7 doesnt seem too much but dont risk it
Good luck

Tapers don't work with GABA-b agonists, in my experience. You can use just enough to stop you feeling really shit, but you still have to stop - and go through hell. You might as well just stop. I know one or two people have said tapering worked for them, but I'm willing to bet it doesn't work for most. Phenibut or baclofen will stop the WDs, benzos may help (not a great deal), anti-psychotics should knock you out and stop withdrawals. Pregabalin helps, as does booze and opiates. My first choice would be phenibut, without a doubt. Just remember to get off it quick.

Tapers off GHB do work IMO, but as with anything it takes an iron will and even then be prepared for a bit of a headfuck.
If you have 80ML left that should be fine. even if you have been banging it 24/7

Some folks dilute their GHB to taper: each time you pour yourself a dose, top the bottle up with water. I used this trick once with +-30ml left and tapered off over a few days, it did make for a milder yet longer WD. Also the short "rebound" after each dose while tapering felt disruptive, even with the very small doses that barely kept the WD symptoms away. Tapering with the G doesn't work well for me.

i've used upto 30 days 24/7 and found this supplement regimen to take away ALL withdrawal:

As soon as any withrdawal symptoms appear take 5-10 grams of beta-alanine on an empty stomach with sufficient water. Withdrawal will be gone in as fast as 15 minutes.

2 X 1,5g - 2g of L-Theanine for anxiety/hypotencion reducer
Multivitamins and zinc are always your friend.

amotrigine, memantine, en gabapentine are most probably helpful.

Phenibut + Etizolam is like god mode for withdrawals. I've been through wds 15+ times the last time I used that combo and it was a breeze.

i've used upto 30 days 24/7 and found this supplement regimen to take away ALL withdrawal:

As soon as any withrdawal symptoms appear take 5-10 grams of beta-alanine on an empty stomach with sufficient water. Withdrawal will be gone in as fast as 15 minutes.
I've just done some reading on this amino acid, and can find no evidence to support your theory. It's not a GABA agonist - and someone in extreme withdrawal is unlikely to feel any effects from it. L-Theanine isn't going to touch the anxiety and hypertension from a severe G withdrawal, either. Gabapentin may help mild withdrawals. If you've been through 50 withdrawals, you're going to need strong drugs to get you through it comfortably.

Has anyone had any problems with their ears, during withdrawal? One Bluelighter, who is no longer with us (MTGG), had to have hearing aids fitted, after a severe withdrawal - with no medication to help him. I've noticed popping ears, ringing, and even pain. The funny thing is, I used to get an ear infection at least once a year, and I've not had one for about six years now - since the time I first took G. There's obviously a lot we don't understand, and it could just be coincidence, but something tells me it's not.

I've just done some reading on this amino acid, and can find no evidence to support your theory. It's not a GABA agonist - and someone in extreme withdrawal is unlikely to feel any effects from it. L-Theanine isn't going to touch the anxiety and hypertension from a severe G withdrawal, either. Gabapentin may help mild withdrawals. If you've been through 50 withdrawals, you're going to need strong drugs to get you through it comfortably.

Has anyone had any problems with their ears, during withdrawal? One Bluelighter, who is no longer with us (MTGG), had to have hearing aids fitted, after a severe withdrawal - with no medication to help him. I've noticed popping ears, ringing, and even pain. The funny thing is, I used to get an ear infection at least once a year, and I've not had one for about six years now - since the time I first took G. There's obviously a lot we don't understand, and it could just be coincidence, but something tells me it's not.

I always used to get a lot of fluttering in my right eardrum, like intense and for days not hours, very intermittant mind you, and also a crapload of tinnitus ( although I have always suffered from that, so possibly the withdrawal was just making me aware of it)

It was actually me who suggested to use the beta-alanine for wd-symptoms on another forum in the first place...

The reason for the wd-symptoms are widely reasoned at the following thread:
New-mechanism-of-action-for-GHB-GBL-withdrawals-Treatable-with-Phenibut-Pregs

It's the glutamate which causes the problems.

My original message is here:

-----
Efficient method for virtually withdrawal free cold-turkeying heavy use 30 day 24/7 gbl-binge:

As soon as the withdrawal symptoms hit, take 5-10 grams (roughly half tbsp of beta-alanine[5] along with good amount of water to preferably an empty stomach. Withdrawal symptoms are completely gone in 15mins. Repeat when needed.
Supportive supplements suggested: Multivitamins, zinc and additional l-theanine.

It yet seems the withdrawal is histidine and/or glutamate related.
Hence lamotrigine, memantine, and gabapentin does ameliorate the withdrawal.

References one might be interested:

Efflux of a suppressive neurotransmitter, GABA, across the blood-brain
barrier. Kakee A, Takanaga H, Terasaki T, Naito M, Tsuruo T, Sugiyama
Y. J Neurochem. 2001 Oct;79(1):110-8.
doi:10.1007/s00726-006-0364-4
[3] Brain Res Bull. 2002 Jan 15;57(2):231-6.
[4] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GABA_transporter
[5] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beta-Alanine
[6] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L-carnitine
-----

I have drank gbl for the last 4 months now 24/7 about 40ml a day. Yesterday, at 8pm I took 1.5mL shot of gbl, then at 10pm I drank 2 bottles of wine to get to sleep. I woke up today at 11am for horrible hangover and fever, heart racing. Took 50mg of propranolol (beta-blocker). At 12 I decided to take 1.5mL shot again which just made my feeling worse. After 3 hours my feeling got better while I was sobering. Decided to make another trial and at 4pm I took additional 1.5mL shot (my plan is always to start the detox when I can manage 4 hours spacing between a shot). Yet again, it made me feel quite odd and I thought okay, it's time to take the beta-alanine. This was at 6pm.

So I took half tablespoon of the crystals and chased them down with water. In 15 minutes, all other symptoms, uneasiness etc had gone, only thing is that I was sweating this sebum containing sweat (as usual when detoxing) and my heart was racing. So I took another 50mg of propranolol. Now everything's smooth. I feel totally normal with the exception I am not naturally tired. So maybe I'll take a benzo or drink some wine to get sleep.. Anyway, If I notice any symptoms, I just go and take another half tablespoon of the beta-alanine.

In any case, IF I would get hallucinations from this detox (I haven't had when using beta-alanine), I'd take small dose of anticholinergics (diphenhydramine). Also I have couple of pregabalin tabs to treat the GABA system. I'd take them on 12hour interval for three days still using the beta-alanine.

Just try it :)

EDIT: I'll keep you posted what happens.
EDIT2:
beta-alanine is potent glycine agonist. NMDARs require the binding of two molecules of glutamate or aspartate and two of glycine. NMDARs also require the binding of the co-agonist glycine for the efficient opening of the ion channel, which is a part of this receptor.
Can you see the logic now? Btw, caffeine is competitive antagonist for the glycine receptor, I think this is the reason why coffee drinking causes the anxiety while on detox.

And my feeling: I just took 2.5 grams of beta-alanine more even I didn't have any wd symptoms. It's been 9h 25minutes now since my last shot of gbl and I'm feeling just dandy.

EDIT3: You might want to read this abstract, Dual activation of GABAA and glycine receptors by beta-alanine: inverse modulation by progesterone and 5 alpha-pregnan-3 alpha-ol-20-one. I'd say it activates also GABAB.

Last edited:
If you slept until 11 o'clock, after having your last dose at 8, you're not in acute withdrawal. There would have been no sleep possible, after about 10pm. You'd be a shaking mess. If it works for mild withdrawals, then that's good. The withdrawal is caused by GABA-b downregulation. There's definitely some histamine response, and acetylcholine has been implicated as a problem. Nytol has been effective for some, as it calms it the histamine release down, and causes sedation. Pregabalin will help with the glutamate, as it converts it to GABA. :) I've never found anything natural to be of any use, but it would be nice if someone could try your method - you never know, you may have found the cure. :D