MEGA - Jobs, Resumes, Interviews

That can be solved with spell check + internet. I actually recently sent off an application where i put "replay" instead of "reply" and still got a call back lol, i like to believe most people understand one silly mistake as we are all human. But yeah definitely need to proof read that shit because we all make stupid mistakes and if its really bad it can make you memorable in the wrong way.

If you dont have any good references you may want to work somewhere basic for a few months like a grocery store or something people like work history but also progression it says a lot to show a forward progression. So like grocery store for 6 months start applying somewhere a little better and you even get to say "i have big plans in my life and i need a job to fulfill goals, i started small because i needed a job but now i have come to realize i need something better then where i am" Sounds better if the place you are applying for is a bit less then basic. Just a thought :)
definitely I share the same thoughts because life is hard, thanks for the reply

giovanni557, just get any job for now, I'm talking MikyD's or any such job for now and while working there apply for the better jobs. An employer taking resume's wants to see that you are working now then not at all. If you can stick with one of those less appealing jobs it speaks high volumes for your character. An employer that is offering a well known wanted job is not interested in people that haven't scraped the barrel unless you have a higher education. If someone will stick with a crap job they think you will stay with them no matter how bad it gets.

Have you looked into staffing companies?
Basically you work for them, they pay you, and other companies pay them to use your time. So they play middle man finding you the jobs. I would think in NYC there would be a lot of need for that, I see it just in my small city/town.
That would cut out out the part you don't seem to be excelling at which is the application and interview. And hopefully they can give you the skills to fix that.
But do a solid check on any agency you consider, some are just trying to make money off you while giving you minimum wage when others are really trying to prepare to join the workforce fulltime.

I second a staffing agency. If you can pass a drug test you're pretty much set. I had a job in about 2 days. It's usually boring work, but it's easier to make yourself stand out. Just do your best and you can add good references and work experience to your resume

^^ Good advice.

You may want to consider voluntary work - you're not sat on your arse in the eyes of an employer

Tattoo's and jobs

So I've got a few tats, one large one down my forearm that will soon be a half sleeve hopefully. I'm just wondering what a boss thinks if he meets me with a tattoo on my forearm, I know I can cover this up with a long sleeve shirt but I'm still unsure how boss' feel about this. Can anyone clear this up? Cheers

^ it totally depends on the company and on the boss.

i'd be more concerned about your erroneous use of apostrophes :)

alasdair

Hope you live somewhere cold. Most bosses aren't fans of forearm tats, neck tats, knuckle tats, etc but it depends on what you do. People can sometimes assume people with tats are criminals and/or druggies. Being as we are on BL, might want to keep things on the low low if you can. Tats can be bad for business/career.

I've never had a problem with mine, but a) all of them except for two small forearm tattoos are generally covered by the kinds of clothes I wear to work and b) I predominantly work in the community/NGO sector, which is generally less strict about body modifications. That said, I've had relatively high ranking jobs with the kind of places that I won't disclose on this forum, but that you'd expect to have a no-tats rule, and there haven't been any issues.

I always cover them with long sleeves for jobs interviews and generally keep them covered for the first little while in a new job. I've been lucky enough to spot other tattooed people early on in both of my current jobs, so it's been obvious that the workplace is tattoo friendly. If that doesn't happen, all you can do is show up to work one day with them uncovered and keep a keen eye on responses. If anyone says anything or gives you a stink eye, go back to wearing long sleeves. Even if people do disapprove, I doubt they'd fire you from a job you'd already been hired into because they found out you had tattoos.

Some employers (as shown above) do have a blanket rule about not hiring inked people (hence the recommendation to cover them for interviews) - you can't really do much about this, except feel reassured that the disconnect these people are showing from the millennial workforce probably extends to a lack of understanding of their millennial customers, and as the older generation dies, retires, or otherwise loses spending power, their business will probably suffer. :) Almost a quarter of people in Western countries are believed to have at least one tattoo and more people are inked than have ever been before, outside of cultures with long histories of cultural tattooing rituals. Refusing to hire any of the hugely diverse people in that demographic - many of whom will be highly qualified, experienced and appropriate for the role they're applying for - is shooting yourself in the foot in a really extreme way.

I guess I would cover them for an interview just to eliminate the tattoos as an issue. It depends on the job though. I walk in proudly with bright pink hair and never had a problem getting a job, but I'm a developer and don't see customers. The key is if your career path requires you to see customers.

Since I work in teams, I always feel that if the hair is an issue then the people/team are probably not the right fit for me anyway. I kinda think the pink hair is a great filter in that way.

Why is that?

Because the greater community judges me by the appearance of my business. Personally I know that tattoos are no reflection of who you are, but it's the conservative baby boomers who are willing to drop $20k each visit with me who decides what tattoos represent.

Bad tattoos, such as ones on your neck, fingers or face are a straight up sorry, no interview.

Thanks for all the support, the career I'm actually in is music. I'm a drummer and I pay my way playing gigs and such in my band but I'm considering taking a part time job on aswell for a bit of extra money. Thanks guys

A boss' first priority is to make money. When they hire you over someone else, they do so in attempt to maximize their return on their investment in labor. Depending on your industry, those returns will be based on your technical abilities, social abilities or some mix of the two. Because customers/clients are the source of the money, it's their beliefs about tattoos, not the boss' personal ones, that determine the boss' tolerance for them. So a boss is much less likely to hire you if he knows that your work will place you directly with customers/clients who are judgmental of them. If you're doing behind-the-scenes work and you're good at what you do, most bosses won't care. Or if you're in a very progressive demographic or industry, it may also not be an issue. But if you're in an industry where you deal a lot with the public and your skills are replaceable, then it could hold you back.

With that said, a lot of huge companies are getting so PC these days about equal opportunities and are so terrified of lawsuits that this arguably can work in the favour of those who are physically unique. I know that Starbucks was in the news recently for revering its visible tattoo policies due to social pressure. Companies like Walmart and Target also no longer care. Society is moving in that general direction.

Or just try and hide them from day one. If you're really good at your job and your boss finds out four months in that you have a tattoo, he's not going to fire you over it...

Because the greater community judges me by the appearance of my business. Personally I know that tattoos are no reflection of who you are, but it's the conservative baby boomers who are willing to drop $20k each visit with me who decides what tattoos represent.

Bad tattoos, such as ones on your neck, fingers or face are a straight up sorry, no interview.

Thats too bad because I bet I'd work my ass off and around the people that work for you. Real talk i work my fucking ass off . I can say that being tattooed definitely hinders my job search. What is it you do?

I was using windows store app CV sampler it contains big number of cv templates, like business resumes and also not very severe, it helped me a lot. My employer said that my resume was unusual, and i received my job. Maybe it would be helpfull for someone https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/p/cv-sampler/9nblggh51hzv

ATTENTION - NOT FREE

Coming here for a shameless plug of your own product that is not free? Question here was "Where can I get a free downloadable template or format"

Edit: found something - in case anyone else is looking - here are EIGHT FREE OpenOffice Resume Templates:
http://www.hloom.com/openoffice-resume-templates/

Last edited: