• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Craving thread – v. Hold On

^ Yeah I'm not going down that road again. Life is abundant but I can't deny this propensity for pills.

It sounds like you are in square 2 by now. congrats!!

hey Cohesion congrats on 2 years but you dont want to be like me forced sobriety it the worst. much better to be a choice.
im sorry if i horned in on an all moderator thread just wanted to show some support.

Cohesion thanks for making this thread. I was going to post a topic asking what to do about cravings but then I saw this thread.

I had a craving the other day for wanting to nod on a low/moderate dose of a pharm opiate.

I haven't used any of it in years, and I haven't used any drugs in a long time aside from getting drunk this past summer months ago. I did fine at my friend's wedding and I didn't drink any alcohol at all.

I don't have access to anything and the odd part about the craving was that it happened out of nowhere and I woke up the next day and I was on my set routine as usual and not craving any opiate. When I was using opiates I was not physically addicted to them but I would self medicate with them, and with booze too but I never combined the two or took benzos with either like people do.

Stay away from whatever you're craving it won't help.

trainwreck, I don't have 2 years of abstinence but I've been mostly clean for over a year. Especially since July. And this totally isn't a mod thread :) It's for everyone. * Oh and guess what? I was more or less forced into treatment and drug tests. But honestly I think I "chose" to get sober by screwing my life up so bad that society forced me out of my addiction. After I got into trouble I had the opportunity to run hard for a few months but finally gave it up and got on track. Now I've died and come back to life <3

PriestTheyCalledHim, I'm glad you found this thread in the right moment. Somehow I didn't know you were abstinent! Congratulations.. what a real success it is to overcome.

Strange how your craving came out of nowhere and lasted until the end of the day. Mine are happening like that too, but more frequent. Sometimes I go a month without wanting anything. Sometimes (like now) it's a vague thought in the back of my mind that comes throughout the day. When I posted 2 days ago I was wanting benzos and amps. (Not possible to get.) Now it's just a little alcohol.

"Stay away from whatever you're craving it won't help." < true that.

i am 16 weeks pregnant and have been clean and sober since finding out....
i def am not craving those hard drugs so much however sometimes i really would love a great long island iced tea
i also miss taking my benzos!
and finally apparently ibuprofen is bad during pregnancy and i have struggled w headaches/migraines for a while and it really helps me not overuse my fioricet which is considered ok to take In Moderation as needed during pregnancy

Good to see this thread is still alive, congrats for steering clear everyone!

Of course, I had to relapse, like an idiot I thought I could control myself this time. So, here I am again, 10 days or so clean again, apart from weed, but I need that for sleeping and keeping sane, at least for now. I took notes during the time I came down every day, that's been helping a lot, still doing so. Maybe I'll translate them and post a blog if I find the time. Writing stuff down is the important thing though, really puts my mind at ease. As for cravings, I think I've finally gotten it into my stubborn head that opiates are the one class of drugs I'll never be able to keep in check, what a waste of 2 more months. I just can't use them anymore, period.

Anyway, just wanted to give an update. Keep up the good fight!

Last edited:
I'm in the thick of shit. I can't leave my house without running into 3 or 4 dudes hustling.
I do my best but its not easy. I'll never be to where I'm hooked on the opiates again but there's a lot of coke and shit where I'm at. I'll be alright I need to watch my shit, check myself sometimes because I've had my battles with that shit.

Ive found this might not be the best site for cravings....Ive been "clean"(methadone nothing else) 4 almost 4 years. Its true im getting off meth so it could easily be that I could be having cravings from that too but i read some persons post on smoking fetynal & I was actually thinking about how iwanted to try it. But then i just think how far ive come...people trust me, i havnt been arrested since 2008(think it corrilates w drug use bc i do) my parents are so happy....i know it sucks. Im on 35mgs of meth & i feel like shit & of course its daylight savings & a sun so they dont open until 7....soim bored & i read stupid opiate threads that glamorize that shit....i know better!!

I find that this time of the year, from around Halloween until New Year's, is usually the worst for cravings IME. I strongly associate the Holiday season with getting high. In the past I've always had these drug rituals on Thanksgiving, Xmas eve and Xmas, and of course New Year's Eve. Part of it was to deal with the stress of big family gatherings, but also it seemed justifiable occasions to award myself by being really indulgent. Also, cold weather and opiates just seem to go together nicely.

I'm on sub maintenance now, and I had 2 pretty big heroin relapses last Thanksgiving and over a few days between Christmas and New Year's. Fortunately I'm on a high enough dose of bupe (6mg/day) where any kind of opiate relapse would be pretty futile, but the urges are still there. Anyone else find this time of the year especially trying?

I always feel like I have absolutely no willpower when I realise that some people are able to give up hard drug addiction, yet I still have trouble with cigarette addiction...

I find that this time of the year, from around Halloween until New Year's, is usually the worst for cravings IME. I strongly associate the Holiday season with getting high. In the past I've always had these drug rituals on Thanksgiving, Xmas eve and Xmas, and of course New Year's Eve. Part of it was to deal with the stress of big family gatherings, but also it seemed justifiable occasions to award myself by being really indulgent. Also, cold weather and opiates just seem to go together nicely.

I'm on sub maintenance now, and I had 2 pretty big heroin relapses last Thanksgiving and over a few days between Christmas and New Year's. Fortunately I'm on a high enough dose of bupe (6mg/day) where any kind of opiate relapse would be pretty futile, but the urges are still there. Anyone else find this time of the year especially trying?

I second this, the holiday season was always a huge opportunity and reason to get as high and drunk as possible for me. I spent more than one family Christmas dinner nodding out over my plate, must have made quite a sight.

Let's hope I can stick to weed for now.

Oh yeah, sure Erik. I suffer from seasonal affective disorder to some degree, my mood can proper bomb soon as the clocks go back and it's dark nights, dark mornings, social life suffers cos who wants to go out when it's freezing cold and pissing it down, and holiday season for all it's meant to be a joyous time of familial love can be just plain bloody stressful. with not a whole lot of love in evidence at all at times. Seems to bring the worst out in people just as often IME. I hate Xmas with a passion, can't wait for New Year to be done with the damn thing. All triggering stuff.

This Xmas is gonna be my first sober. Not hopefully sober. Sober. I'm resolved on that. I was meant to be on the wagon last yer but decided I couldn't get through a whole day sober so would drink but limit it, try and manage the intake despite the booze flowing freely from about noon and on, as it does. Managed pretty well as it goes and was the voice of reason later that night when everyone started falling out, as per bloody usual! For the good it did that is. Argumentative sods at the best of times, my lot, room full of pissed and pissed off people finally giving vent to their stored up frustrations and petty resentments isn't what I'd call an ideal night out, but must be done, no getting away from it.

I'm hoping this year doing it sober I at least can learn something here, undo the old associations I have with Xmas and alcohol and make a start putting some new ones into place. In that sense the holiday season is an opportunity. I'm kinda looking forward to the test, see how it pans out. Look for the positives, that's what's critical here I think. Be aware of the triggers, learn how not to get triggered by them, come away with something useful for future ref.

After the struggle, I finally kicked a 4 something year smoke-and-sniff opiate habit, 'officially/symbolically' on Feburary 26th, 2011. I messed up a couple times since, but i can count those times on one hand. I replaced this habit with cannabis, exercise, meditation, and a new town and, besides those sideways glances, never looked back.

I'm currently getting my undergrad degree in biology, with a minor in neuroscience and an unofficial concentration/strong interest in psychedelic research/therapy. My class load is getting a lot heavier, requiring a lot more time and attention. I really feel I have it in me to do this, to finish and to do something I love with this degree, but the high stress of mid-semester workload is dredging up the junkie.

My cravings are triggered by night. I'm really productive in the morning, without a fleeting thought of getting high. But come nighttime (and winter in the far northeast that means 5pm) I'm squirming in my seat- tense, sweaty, salivating, irritable, and completely unable to focus. Weed and schoolwork don't mix (after two years of trying I'll have to finally admit this.) Yoga/running/meditation are, though indispensable, forms of short-term relief that I can coast on for a little while - but then I crumble under those long nights of tedious monotony. I find myself thinking of my favorite drugs more and more, feeling quite stuck in my journey right now.

I'm not in the same place I was, where some of us are now, and I'm grateful for that. But then there are times like, say, right now... you know what I'm saying.

We should keep the NoBender thread going in December with an emphasis on how hard the holidays can be. I think if we all hang together for each other on here it could be a big help.The dark time of year coupled with the ridiculous expectation that we all look like a Hallmark card no matter what is going on in our families is definitely stressful. Let's keep this thread bumped and start a new December sobriety thread.<3

jdcjwz, one ex-heroin addict to another, good going dude! That's some good turnaround right there. All I can tell you is it gets better with time and you're clearly doing all the right things. Yeah, maybe lay off the weed a while see how that changes anything? Doesn't help me with the attention span or motivation for sure, would possibly help with the distracted feelings? Stay strong. :)

Herb, subscribed thread now innit. Will bump away as requested. Lord knows I may have need of it myself. ;)

Last edited:
Thanks Sepher, I appreciate it. I can definitely see this thread being of use.