• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Why there is such a correlation between alcoholism and sociopathy.

After reading many of these reply to this thread I must say that a lot of people seem to misunderstand sociopathy, wanting to hurt people or start fires or having a less than ideal childhood is less than definitive to this condition, as a sociopath who has been through therapy and other professional help i can tell you the core of this condition is in the absence of empathy, this is what causes the manipulative and survivalistic traits of a sociopath, from personal experience I can say that alcohol and drugs do little but exacerbate antisocial behaviour through impairment of judgement, meaning the sociopath in question cannot consider long term consequences as efficiently, I would like to stress that if you you can identify in any capacity with your fellow humans you are not sociopathic as this requires a level of empathy with which sociopaths are incapable, people are a means to an end to us, life is a game which we are hard wired to win, although I admit there are those of us less capable than others

I don't have much to add other than a true psychopath/sociopath would not have created this thread.

I've dated sociopaths and one of their defining features is that they don't even worry about this crap. They are usually oblivious to their behavior or they just don't care.

And anyway, "sociopath" is a very limited term... it doesn't generally relate to any specific mental disorder. It has practically become slang. So telling everyone you're a sociopath doesn't really mean much though I guess it does get you some negative attention. If you went around saying you had antisocial personality disorder, or borderline personality disorder, you'd probably have fewer heads turning.

You obviously are quite a colorful character who seems to see and feel connections and meaning in many things!!! Kind of the opposite. You find meaning and relateability in certain movie characters.and obviously you found a human connection in those stories that are meaningful or symbolic to you!
You have a level of self awareness, you can use emoticons appropriately!! and irs apparent you are seeking connection/validation with all this.
no one is trying to me mean. It's just does not sound like you are a sociopath. I bet you are the opposite! You are young and pissed off and want to find a way to channel that into something like a serious diagnosis so you would have no responsibility and be dark and dangerous ...I was an asshole in my 20's too. It's confusing. No one was trying to shit on you. It's just obvious you want to be seen as a damaged dangerous inhuman murderer...it's a phase Be happy you are full of all these thoughts and feelings and channel and express them productively for Pete's sake

It does seem as though you have too much self-reflection for a true sociopath. We took in a homeless teenager who had been subjected to years of abuse, physical (including blows to the head), deprivation, and sexual. He has AsPD, and elements of BPD. As I understand it, sociopaths are capable of some limited empathy, usually directed at a specific social group. Like you he has a very fractured sense of self and has extreme ambivalence about attachment, but he has zero awareness that he plays any role in his issues. He has grandiosity and self-entitlement, like you, but believes in it solely because he is perpetually a victim. It is his idea of karmic pay back. The manipulation and lies are endless and breathtaking in their scope.