• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin Shooting Up - List of Best Injection Sites

Veins differ a little bit from person to person but here is a diagram with the three most common pathways. As for the question is it easy to hit, that depends on a few variables. For instance I'm 6'5 270 and being "chunky" makes it more difficult to locate them.
If I remember correctly your into Yoga and in good shape so that def helps. As far as hitting the lower Basilic which is also known as the Ulnar vein, that depends on your flexibility and being able to rotate and pronate your arm simultaneously. I don't prefer it because it's difficult to see clearly and the needle is pointing away from you, if done correctly at least. I wont go into the other tips like showers & exercise as they are plentiful in the previous posts.

Good Luck..

Yeah before I had my injury which is the reason I tried heroin, chronic pain, I was an exercise maniac. A lot of my veins are easy to see but the problem I'm having is I will prep a perfect shot, make sure a little is dripping out - insert, and I am not registering blood even the I am directly over the vein and slowly pulling back as I enter.

I recognize the veins I mean immediately from the drawing. If you look at the middle drawing, the are the veins on the right side below the elbow that split into two separate pathways. Beside where it says medial cubicle vein (it's not that one though) - it looks like I am talking about the Basilic vein because it is pointing literally to the two veins I'm talking about in the picture. The guy in the documentary was pretty fit too, and he held his arm at a 90 degree angle palm facing him when he hit this basilica. It completely destroyed him with how high he got and I got thinking that maybe I'd try that vein because they are literally bulging out of my skin like, a lot of the way down my arm. Seems like an easy hit with a tourniquet.

Would those be good practice ones for me? If I go this route... like I need to know cause I've shot up twice already in the past month or two and tried a few times more (and failed miserably). However I won't fuck with my elbow crooks anymore until I know what I'm doing. So those veins I mentioned are quite prominent. I do 2 to 3 hours of yoga a day when I am using, and zero hours when I'm in withdrawal. I'm in good shape... muscular and toned. I am vegetarian and like to keep super hydrated so I think these things help. I think the last time I missed because I wasn't hydrated enough. I couldn't register even though I totally should have been able to.

Thanks for the lucky I definitely need it.

Right where the Basilic vein splits into 2 separate major pathways just past your bicep is the best spot to shoot up into IMO. Into either one works.

Honestly, once you get a feel for hitting it, usually track marks form and eventually an abscess that makes it even easier to find it!

Seriously though, it's where I'd always try first, and it usually worked fine. Sometimes if I had missed or w/e it was simpler to go elsewhere but usually I didn't have to

If I use 25G, 5/8" needles will that impact it? I realize this is person dependent, but I take great care of myself and when I saw those long veins sticking out I knew they would be great o hit. Was just making sure, thanks!

^^@Subotai- Agreed, the bicep is one of the easier spots to hit and is easier to hide under a shirt but the bruises I always got were HUGE (in a trump accent). I'm a bit of a fatty which makes it more visible being pasty mayo white but even with 29-30 gauge NEW needles that sucker would gush long after the shot.

^@Shroomy- 25g is a little bit coarse but still usable if you are accurate with it and don't go to low on your arm (no hands without a 30g). Also make sure you filter your solution well as a 25g will allow larger particulates to pass vs a 30g insulin type. Try to keep a shallow angle in relation to the vein and you will be able to stop the bleeding afterwards quicker.

I wouldn't necessarily shoot into the vein into my bicep as the angle is kind of awkward but I'm talking like the veins on the opposite side of your elbow if that makes sense.

Like, hold your arm out straight and feel your elbow. Now, on the exact opposite side of your arm where it starts to bend into your bicep, that is where the basilic veins splits into 2 real easy to hit veins.

25 gauge is a bit larger than what most people shoot up with.

28G 1CC long tips is what they usually hand out at the needle exchange and therefore what you will generally get when buying on the street.

30 or 31G is really the best way to go though. I always liked long tips better but if your veins are good enough than short tips work ok too.

I never used a tourniquet in my life tbh, and know a lot of people don't even use one. While not a complete fabrication since there are some positives to using one, I feel like the Hollywood image of a guy under a bridge tying off after beating up his heroin in a spoon has entered people's minds as how it is.

All I need is water, cotton, and a bottle cap and we'all figure the rest out as we go

Okay so does 25 Gauge make it harder to hit? You gotta be really accurate? Because I've missed a few times and can't figure out why the fuck... seems like I'm doing everything right. It's not that I'm missing, I'm giving up after being unable to draw blood, and then sniffing my doses in frustration and spending 3 days rattling sick instead.

I get insulin syringes from the needle exchange. I think they are like 30 or 31 gauge. I didn't want to use them, because I heard thinner tips bend/roughen more when you have to try poking again.I really like the 25's, but I'd get 27 or 28 next time, short time, 3cc, same brand.

I hadn't thought about the particulate before. That's a good point. I've been using cotton from the needle exchange the ones that look like marshmallows and making sure I am dead in the middle of them when drawing.

I wouldn't necessarily shoot into the vein into my bicep as the angle is kind of awkward but I'm talking like the veins on the opposite side of your elbow if that makes sense.
I never used a tourniquet in my life tbh, and know a lot of people don't even use one. While not a complete fabrication since there are some positives to using one, I feel like the Hollywood image of a guy under a bridge tying off after beating up his heroin in a spoon has entered people's minds as how it is.

~ Subotai/ Oh I got ya, the crook of the arm or "Ol' Faithful" as I used to call it. I've also never liked tourniquets and probably would miss if I had to hold the end of a belt in my teeth like the Hollywood image you mentioned. I doubt that stereotype will ever go away. At least in the states.

Okay so does 25 Gauge make it harder to hit? You gotta be really accurate? Because I've missed a few times and can't figure out why the fuck... seems like I'm doing everything right. It's not that I'm missing, I'm giving up after being unable to draw blood, and then sniffing my doses in frustration and spending 3 days rattling sick instead. I get insulin syringes from the needle exchange. I think they are like 30 or 31 gauge. I didn't want to use them, because I heard thinner tips bend/roughen more when you have to try poking again.I really like the 25's, but I'd get 27 or 28 next time, short time, 3cc, same brand. I hadn't thought about the particulate before. That's a good point. I've been using cotton from the needle exchange the ones that look like marshmallows and making sure I am dead in the middle of them when drawing.

~Shroomy/ So a 25 gauge doesn't necessarily make it harder to hit but leaves bigger holes and larger hematomas in it's wake. Being new at this, a 28-31g will leave smaller "tracks" and less damage, especially if you happen to come across a nerve. While the smaller size can bend, it's good for about 3 punctures or attempts (preferably in one sitting) before it starts to get dull, in a pinch you can get a few more out of it( it's not unheard of for some people to use them 20+ times). If you have the means it's always best to use a new needle and at least a sterilized syringe if not a new one as well (if your using a 2 part luer-lok). 27g or 28g is a good compromise and def better than a 25g.

I really hope it doesn't, but if this becomes a regular habit you should seriously look into micron filters. I know you get excellent gear but the first time you get cotton fever your going to be on the verge of calling an ambulance. It's horrible, uncontrollable shaking or shivers, a freezing feeling throughout your body even in 80*(27*c)weather, and severe malaise + incapacitation for around 4 hours or so. Micron filters trap bacteria and anything not water soluble nearly eliminating the chances of getting it when good hygiene and injection habits are followed.

As far as missing it's kind of a self taught skill unless you know other users who can help instruct. I never knew anyone who IV'ed when I started and am glad I had 30g rigs while learning. About the only wisdom I can impart besides don't do it, is to keep a light vacuum on the syringe as soon as you pierce the skin and begin to descend into the vein. When you get a "flash" or register stop descending. If for any reason you happen to jerk or move during injecting, a quick re-register is advised.

Again I wish you luck and hope this info is not needed.

Thanks Jekyl, that was really helpful. I just need to know in case it happens again. I don't want it to... I've been sticking to my 12 hour dosing and insufflation since I picked up this morning, and that is a very dangerous time for me. After I have been CT for three days, I tend to indulge or treat myself, but I just haven't this time. I really don't like needles, they freak me the fuck out even after successfully shooting a few times so far, so I figure if I only do this every few months I should be okay not to make the switch. It's still risky of course. So when I pierce my skin I push back on the plunger a little bit waiting for the flash, but half the time it isn't coming. I think maybe due to not being hydrated enough but that's just a guess. The veins I'm using are certainly large enough and I'm slowly going in at a good angle right overtop. I'm just inexperienced and I don't have anyone to show me because my habit is a total secret, even after 5 years. I think if this info becomes needed, that secret part might change as well.

Thank you for giving me excellent advice while being non-judgemental and wishing me the best outcome (as in, not doing this again or getting into a habit of it). Instead of just telling me not to do it and that it's a bad choice like I don't know that... when people do that it's in one ear out the other but yeah this was excellent advice! : )

higher gauge needles are barely felt when they puncture the skin and therefore easier to learn with

eventually you reach a point where the gauge is kind of irrelevant. I could probably shoot up with a turkey baster tbh. When youre that close to getting high, did all the leg work, all the HARD parts in order to get a bag of dope and have it in a needle an inch away from your skin just waiting to make all of your problems go away

you make it happen

no offense, but fuck a micron filter, fuck sterile water, fuck getting a new rig every time

not saying that is the right way to go about it, but you are really just polishing a turd IMO. trying to make shooting heroin as "healthy" as possible.

nah I shouldnt say hat, all of that is god HR. It's just not usually practical.

Last edited:
Phatass ,i thank you very much for replying,even without name of cream,could it be heparin gel? I use that extensively.Just found a vein i never saw in 35y.If you hold your palm down,bit to side so thumb is halfway up and stretch your fingers theres a pretty thin but not too bad one coming from base of index finger to base of thumb.since i cant even see my basilic,cephalic or biceps vein i really hope this helps one of you in my position!!! Good luck
Mo

higher gauge needles are barely felt when they puncture the skin and therefore easier to learn with

eventually you reach a point where the gauge is kind of irrelevant. I could probably shoot up with a turkey baster tbh. When youre that close to getting high, did all the leg work, all the HARD parts in order to get a bag of dope and have it in a needle an inch away from your skin just waiting to make all of your problems go away

you make it happen

no offense, but fuck a micron filter, fuck sterile water, fuck getting a new rig every time

not saying that is the right way to go about it, but you are really just polishing a turd IMO. trying to make shooting heroin as "healthy" as possible.

nah I shouldnt say hat, all of that is god HR. It's just not usually practical.
Subotai,i am ALL FOR HARM REDUCTION but you got a point i never understood.i use sterile water n rig but when squirting that sterile water on dope/ascorbic a.i always wonder if tap/bottled wouldnt be equal cause whats the use sterile water does once it hits some dope that was made in a hut in Pakistan/Afghanistan and surely not vaccumed till sold?you then have a clean rig/water with very unsterile solution,which,exept for sharp needle kind of defeats the point.sure its better than a rig lying around colonising with bacteria but i am sure you get what i mean.if theres staph or botulism in your dope that will help nil

Upper Arm: Specifics

Swim , I have exhausted nearly everywhere else on body and only have ...hit the main veins on top of biceps/ upper arms, any way for your expertise to be expanded upon concerning, upper arms. Any/ all info would be appreciated, nothing is too obvious or should I say don't assume swim I tried or am already aware, because u never know. Please & Thank You :)

RULES-We-don-t-SWIM-Here!

Last edited by a moderator:
Swim , I have exhausted nearly everywhere else on body and only have ...hit the main veins on top of biceps/ upper arms, any way for your expertise to be expanded upon concerning, upper arms. Any/ all info would be appreciated, nothing is too obvious or should I say don't assume swim I tried or am already aware, because u never know. Please & Thank You :)

Here's another thread you can take a look at, -The-best-injection-sites, along with this one should at least give you a few ideas. If you still have some issues, then be a bit more specific about them when posting.

Welcome to BL %)

I don't know why so many people have this idea that you have to steady a tourniquet with your teeth. I usually use a tourniquet when I shoot and I just use my foot to keep it tight until it's time to loosen it up. Much easier.

I've used up practically all of my larger veins and now I'm down to using whatever veins there are on the underside of my arms, wrists, and then the tops of my hands. It's not that all of the main forearm veins are blown, it's just that there's so much scar tissue built up around them that it's pretty hard accessing them all of the time.

I'm not too picky about the size needle tip that I use, 28, 29 or 30 G are what I usually use and they never seem to give me trouble. Longs make it easier to use every kind of spot on your arm but shorts are specifically for the shallow ones that you can see popping out on the surface.

If you still have those veins.....your still a Starter!!! Please think about the Way your going. Opies can get You very high with Another ROA. Dont get me wrong Please

Inside upper arm there is a really fat one but i have explained so often and no Reply.
Search my posts n Good Luck my friend

i've heard from others that this is not a good idea, but i used to hit the vein on the inside/back of my knee joint on my leg. my vein there is huge and right near the surface. i did that when i couldn't hit my arms. i also did my hands a bit but i preferred not to have track marks there so i rarely ever did.
I cant find this damn vein >_< ! I have gained a little weight over the last year though.. Maybe thats why.

Has anyone watched the pilot for The Knick? This thread made me think of the scene when Thack begged Lucy to shoot him up but she couldn't find a vein... "FINE! YOU WANT A VEIN! HERES A VEIN!" and she shoots him up in the vein under his penis 8o. I've been pretty dope sick before, and extremely agitated that I couldn't land a vein... But never would I stick a needle in my dick, lol.

Last edited:
I tried to Inject myself for the first time ever with a 1ml 25 g needle?? in the back of my hand I missed about 5 times so gave up i had stabbed right through veins and caused bleeding under the skin my hand swelled right up had to put it in ice.

25g is a pretty damn big needle... I use 29g usually. Sometimes 30g and rarely 28g. Never anything lower though. The bigger the needle, the more damage it will do to the vein, especially if you inject on the same site.

^^It might have been smaller actually as it was fixed ti the 1ml syringe I made a right mess of it anyway a rig