• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Sterilization of phenethylamine-containing solution

apsig

Bluelighter
I have a stock of 2C-E that I keep refrigerated for personal use. However, I work in a lab that studies cellular stress responses and I would be interested in doing a simple experiment on my own time to see if any of our commonly studied stress pathways are induced by the administration of 2C-E. I don't want to invest too much time or reagent stock into this, so I would likely just treat a few cultures of rat neurons with varying concentrations and western blot for a few key markers.

At any rate, I must admit that my 2C-E stock is less than sterile due to the use of non-sterile pipets, etc when dispensing. In order to maintain a pure culture and avoid spurious stress induction via infection of cultured neurons, I would be interested in sterilizing the solution. At the very least, I can pass it through a 0.22 µm sterile filter, but I am curious as to whether an autoclave could be used without fear of producing breakdown products. I know most of the common phenethylamines are quite stable under normal conditions, but can 2C-E theoretically survive autoclaving in aqueous solution?

Thanks!

2c-E is a very stable phenethylamine, autoclave or UV sterilisation are both good methods.

Also, please post back your results when you get the chance :)

It would be nice to see some results, no matter how informal.

Thanks for the replies! It may be a few weeks until I can get around to this, but I will be certain to share any information obtained when I do. :)