• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin Does grapefruit juice potentiate heroin?

Dr.Gonzo666

Bluelighter
I searched the forum and couldn't seem to find a straight/definitive answer.

There are those who claim GF juice will potentiate all opiates or at least make the high last longer. And then, according to wikipedia, GF only affects codeine (and components derived from codeine) adding "Morphine itself, however, is not affected by grapefruit juice, as it is not metabolized by the cytochrome P450 system."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_drugs_affected_by_grapefruit

According to your own experience as heroin users, what kind of effects will the consumption of GF juice have on the heroin high: will it increase it, merely lengthen it or produce no effects at all?

It doesn't work Dr Gonzo with morphine or diamorphine.

Check this :- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grapefruit_drug_interactions

It does however affect the following opioids* :-

Buprenorphine - Metabolized into norbuprenorphine by cytochrome-P450 isoenzyme 3A4.

Codeine and Tramadol - It reduces the amount of codeine converted by CYP3A4 into norcodeine thus increasing the amount metabolized into morphine. Morphine itself, however, is not affected by grapefruit juice, as it is not metabolized by the cytochrome P450 system.

Dihydrocodeine - This will be affected the same as codeine. However I'm not sure how dihydromorphine will be affected.*

Hydrocodone - The hepatic cytochrome P450 enzyme CYP2D6 converts it into hydromorphone, a more potent opioid.

Loperamide - Not sure how it is affected.*

Oxycodone - Oxycodone is metabolized by the cytochrome P450 system, specifically CYP3A4, of which the bergamottin flavonoid is a strong inhibitor.

Methadone - Inhibits the metabolism of methadone (To Nor-Methadone) and raises serum levels.

Regarding Oxycodone and Hydrocodone I'm not 100% sure if grapefruit juice/bergamottin flavonoid would be a good thing. Taking either would prolong the drugs affects but from what I know it will stop some being converted i.e. hydrocodone to hydromorphone and oxycodone to oxymorphone. As I said I'm not 100% sure about this!#

*Where this appears the information is quoted from Wikipedia and is not my own except regarding dihydrocodeine and loperamide.

# Is my own info'.

If you're using heroin IV, it won't help.
It inhibits the GI and liver enzyme CYP2D6.