• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Georgia woman battling flesh-eating bacteria refuses morphine before skin graft

In addition to keeping up her spirits despite losing her hands, left leg and right foot to a flesh-eating bacteria, this week Aimee Copeland turned down painkillers before a skin graft, her father wrote in a blog Friday.

"Aimee despises the use of morphine in her treatment," Andy Copeland wrote. "Although that drug effectively blocks most of the pain associated with her condition, it makes her groggy and confused and it gives her unpleasant hallucinatory episodes.
That doesn't sound like morphine. It sounds more like a mixed agonist-antagonist like Nubain, Talwin or Stadol. They're notorious for causing hallucinations, dysphoria, and confusion. Demerol sometime does too.

Update:http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_...-skin-graft-surgery-despite-previous-refusal/
But in a Father's Day blog post from Andy Copeland, who has been tracking his daughter's progress for the public, he said a surgery Aimee needed on Friday caused pain far more severe than any dressing change. The pain was so bad that even if Aimee had refused, doctors would have administered the pain relievers - such as Morphine - in an intravenous drip. Fortunately, Aimee did not say no.

"Please believe me when I say that Aimee's refusal to use pain medication has ceased following her most recent surgery," Andy Copeland wrote. "She is now requesting it ahead of schedule."
God the pain must be excruciating:(. And she will never have a normal life again. If she survives. How sad.

re slim, of course. i'm all for live and let live, and i can't imagine what she is going through.

i maintain, though, that to give up on all heavy pain relievers because one of them caused hallucination at one particular dose, in one particular context, in combination with several particular other meds, is ridiculous.

i also maintain that it is dangerous to teach our next generations' doctors opio-phobia.

She was a little crazy to give up pain meds, but gosh I can't think what she is going though.

Glad she now is receiving ..

The good thing about opiates is if you did hallucinate you wouldn't give a shit. I don't know what she's whining about.

Aimee Copeland Breaks And Pleads For Painkillers Following Skin Graft Surgery

I came to this board yesterday and read about how Aimee Copeland was refusing painkillers for her skin graft, and I thought this was enough of an interesting turn of events to warrant a thread. Who would've thought she would change her mind?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/18/aimee-copeland-painkillers_n_1606857.html

Flesh-eating bacteria victim Aimee Copeland is pleading for painkillers after skin graft surgery has left her feeling like a “patchwork quilt,” according to her father, Andy Copeland.

The Georgia student, 24, originally refused pain medications due in part to her personal convictions and graduate-school background in holistic pain management techniques. Her preferred method of dealing with the pain was meditation, but that has done little to assuage the sting of skin grafts and muscle flaps that were necessary to close a gaping wound on her abdomen and groin.

According to Dr. J. Blair Summitt, assistant professor of plastic surgery at Vanderbilt University Medical Center in Nashville, Tenn., a skin graft transplant is a fairly straightforward procedure, but a painful one that often necessitates narcotic painkillers like morphine and Fentanyl for patients, ABC News reports.

“Aimee is now taking pain medication in as liberal a dose as can be prescribed. If she even dared to refuse taking it, which she wouldn’t, then the doctors would most certinaly administer it in an IV drip,” her father wrote in a blog post.

“Even so, the allowable doses of Morphine, Fentanyl and Lyrica are often inadequate to deal with the pain that Aimee is now experiencing,” he continued, adding that his daughter is now requesting medication ahead of schedule.

It was nearly seven weeks ago that Copeland sustained a cut on her calf during a fall from a homemade zip line over a west Georgia river. She was diagnosed with necrotizing fasciitis, an infection from a rare flesh-eating bacteria. Doctors were forced to amputate her left leg, right foot and hands.

I think I would rather die that have to live with horrible thing eating me or deal with the possible outcome of beating it.

^ That is much easier to say when you are just imagining it.
The will to live would likely overcome your feelings of fear that lead you to say that.

"Aimee Copeland Breaks And Pleads For Painkillers Following Skin Graft Surgery"

i don't like that title. looks too much like they're saying "ha we told you so, she gave in hahaaaa"

she's in a shit load of pain.

The good thing about opiates is if you did hallucinate you wouldn't give a shit. I don't know what she's whining about.
opiates have different effects in different contexts. pain relievers won't do anything for a medication related schizophrenic episode.

she has to confront death, and understandably has a lot of conflicted feelings. "whining"? given the pain she is in and the fear she faces, that fear manifesting itself into visual (and most likely other) form(s), i don't think she is whining at all...