RFD: Embedding VIDEO code into your posts

Would you want embedded video on Bluelight?

• Total voters

tambourine-man

Bluelight Crew
Following our major software upgrade last year, we had the option to introduce embedded video on the site, via the use of VIDEO tags. Although this option has been available to us for some time, our recent upgrade has given us finer-grain control over it's use.

This would work in a similar way that the IMG code works: you use the code with a URL and the content is displayed directly on Bluelight without requiring people to click on a link.

An example can be seen in our BB code list: http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/misc.php?do=bbcode#videocode

So... what do you think?

Is this something you'd want? Maybe you can you see a use for it in harm reduction/educational videos, or film threads, or something more frivolous?

Or maybe you're not so keen? Perhaps you think it'll make the forum look cluttered, or you're a purist who can only just about tolerate images?

Or perhaps you have questions about how it would work?

Or.... maybe you don't care either way. Please let us know in this thread.

Thanks,
TM

Video Code FAQ

Server Issues
  • Server space would be non-existent as we're not hosting the video itself
  • We don't believe the server strain or bandwidth usage would be an issue as the streaming connection is between the user and the hosting supplier
  • vBulletin are usually fairly explicit about settings that can significantly affect server load, and video tags are not highlighted as being such
Aesthetics
  • We can restrict the number of video tags in a single post
  • We can fairly easily refine the physical dimensions of the resulting video
  • We can reliably prevent quoted video tags from parsing
Location & Permissions
  • We can deny the use of video tags by forum
    We cannot currently restrict the use of video tags (or any BB code) by usergroup
  • We can enable/disable video tags in Blogs by usergroup
Content
  • We can support or deny any video hosting provider (within reason)
  • Those settings can be altered between standard skin and mobile themes
  • There will be no auto-play

Last edited:
Well ya im pretty sure everyone's gonna agree this would be good and sooo much more convieniant.

Actually you would have to make sure it doesn't cause pages to load to slow if there's a thread with videos in every post or something.

There is a video for every occasion. Always had my vote, although I reckon having a smaller thumbnail that expands to full size when clicked would look better, if at all possible/worthwhile.

I agree that this feature would be beneficial to the forum, I voted Yes, because there wasn't a Yes, with conditions, option.

I feel we should enable the video tags, but there are certain sites we may not want to allow linking to, it opens doors for spammers if we aren't careful. We probably should stick to linking only to video hosting website that are at least somewhat reputable. YouTube and Google Video are probably fine, whereas links to sites that host content that violates copyright infringement should not be allowed (like full-length streaming movies/TV shows, etc).

Is there a way to limit this features use by usergroup?

Last edited:
autoplay in a music thread would be confusing, too many starting at once... But for other forums it could be handy.

Also i couldn`t vote from bluelight lite (my phone) so a vote button on lite would be excellent.--- as well as a "quote" button... Thanks...

edit... got in to vote.

Last edited:
I think perhaps if it's possible they should be automatically NSFW'd. So when clicking the embed video button the code came out as
NSFW:
[vid][/vid]
NSFW:
(or whatever code would be used).

Actually you would have to make sure it doesn't cause pages to load to slow if there's a thread with videos in every post or something.

This issue has been brought up in staff discussions on the topic, and it is my understanding that it should not cause pages to load slow since the video streaming is between the user and the hosting site of the video. If videos were uploaded to Bluelight then that would be a different story, and would cause slower load time, but simply having them embedded into posts should not cause issues with load time.

I agree that this feature would be beneficial to the forum, I voted Yes, because there wasn't a Yes, with conditions, option.

I feel we should enable the video tags, but there are certain sites we may not want to allow linking to, it opens doors for spammers if we aren't careful. We probably should stick to linking only to video hosting website that are at least somewhat reputable. YouTube and Google Video are probably fine, whereas links to sites that host content that violates copyright infringement should not be allowed (like full-length streaming movies/TV shows, etc).

Is there a way to limit this features use by usergroup?

yes, we can limit which host sites we will support. we can also limit which forums and i think it can be limited to bluelighters only.

I think perhaps if it's possible they should be automatically NSFW'd. So when clicking the embed video button the code came out as
NSFW:
[vid][/vid]
NSFW:
(or whatever code would be used).
NSFW:
NSFW:

If we NSFW the videos then embedding would be rendered redundant. The main advantage to me is being able to see a glimpse without needing to click through in the first place.

I am so keen for this. Having to click links to open another window is a pet peeve of mine. If this were to be implemented I would love to see the video able to be played in the post. I have no idea how this would impact on site server space etc, but it would make for a great user experience IMHO. :)

I have no idea how this would impact on site server space etc, but it would make for a great user experience IMHO. :)

This would not have an impact on server space since we are not hosting the video itself. VBulletin usually mentions anything that could significantly affect server load, and video tags are not mentioned with the other things that do affect it.

I said yes, but I really like putting cotton buds up my nose too... is there a way I can get two votes?

I'm totally for it. BL's austerity is looking nice, but it's austerity, eh :\

I think it's a good idea IF there are conditions. I would like to see rules on what kind of videos can be posted, no autoplay on videos, and posting of videos restricted to Bluelighters and above. I also think different forums should have different rules on what type of videos can be posted, for example the HR forums would have stricter rules than the social forums. Also no videos in signatures.

I have seen other drug forums that are so extremely cluttered with images, animated images, and videos as to make them unreadable, (and the vast majority of the images/videos are just silly and have little or nothing to do with the real topic being discussed in the thread). I wouldn't want Bluelight to turn into that, but so far we seem to be doing pretty good with images, so hopefully enabling videos wouldn't change much.

I doubt embedded videos will litter forums like OD or BDD since there's never reason to post a video over just writing out what you want to say. There's very few relevant videos even on youtube, let alone ones that promote responsible HR drug use. Forums like The Lounge, EADD, all the social forums will spring to life though. They'll look completely different at times, whilst the focus forums remain largely unchanged. Perhaps a few in CD and PD. Can't see it being anything other than a good thing though.