• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Why you should try drinking grapefruit juice with oxycodone

Status
Not open for further replies.

b3ngal

Greenlighter
Did some research in peer-reviewed journals (IOW legit shit). Here are my findings:

Try grapefruit juice with your oxy - whether it be Percocet, Roxi, OxyContin - for the same reason you should take it with your vitamins and never with blood pressure or cholesterol meds: it increases absorption and therefore potency.

Oxycodone has three main metabolites, the first two of which are not particularly notable: noroxycodone, noroxymorphone, and oxymorphone. Oxymorphone is four times more potent than oxycodone and can cross the blood-brain barrier like few other opioids can. It’s so good that it comes as a prescribed drug of its own, which you may know as Opana or Numorphan.

Compounds in grapefruit juice called furanocouramins increase the blood concentration of both oxycodone and oxymorphone, and in half the time than without grapefruit juice. Yay!

Because of the higher potency, please avoid booze unless you have a (good) track record of concomitant opioid and alcohol use.

If you’ve never experienced oxymorphone, you can read up in the Erowid Vault.

And remember: Respect the drugs, or they’ll turn on you.

Hey thanks for this, im getting through way too much oxy, hopefully this will make it go further. I can only find 100% ruby grapefruit juice and ruby grapefruits in these parts. Will this still have an effect ?

Yep, any and all grapefruit will work. Seville oranges, too, if you can come by them; also, most orange marmalade is made of this variety, but that means you'd have to eat a lot of marmalade ...

The juice's effects are optimal if drunk 2-3 days before the oxy. One cup twice daily should do it.

I have always read people on this forum saying only white grapefruit juice but I haven't found any evidence to support that in medical literature, it always just says grapefruit juice and doesn't specify a type. I wonder if white grapefruit perhaps contains higher amounts of furanocoumarins and that's where people got the idea that it is best?

Also I don't know if it's true that Seville oranges work in the same way. They are not my the list of significant CYP3A4 inhibitors. Wikipedia just says Seville oranges may have some drug interactions, doesn't say they are the same ones as grapefruit. Wikipedia says aside from grapefruits, pomelos and bergamot oranges, other citrus do not have significant amounts of furanocoumarins. But I did find a site that says Seville Oranges do moderately affect CYP3A4, and may make certain medications stay in the body longer.

Personally I haven't found the level of potentiation from grapefruit to be perceptible. My methadone actually comes with a label that says "do not take this medication with grapefruit" but I notice no difference at all when I drink grapefruit juice with it.

It's interesting that Wikipedia forgot to list opioids on its list of drug interactions with grapefruit. I have a list of CYP3A4 substrates and inhibitors (only certain opioids are metabolized by CYP3A4 so it CYP3A4 inhibition doesn't affect all of them, but it does affect quite a few).

Last edited:
There is a ton of information in the "Opiate Potentiation Mega-Thread" just search for it and you will find all the info you could ever possibly imagine.

This is all old news, and I prefer to eat actual grapefruits with some
sugar sprinkled over the top, than drink GFJ

See the megathread.

Status
Not open for further replies.