• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Cannabis - psychedelic effects and how to achieve them.

webbykevin

Bluelighter
I realize that there is a whole section of BL devoted to Cannabis but rarely in any of those threads do I ever see Cannabis being discussed for its psychedelic qualities.

It also seems to be used mainly as an additive to other substances in "Trip Reports".

But on its own, used in the correct way especially with little or zero tolerance it can be as weird and out there as any other hallucinogen, I have been a user of cannabis for most of my adult life and have experimented a few times with long periods of complete abstinence followed by a massive THC dose achieved by a combo of smoked and ingested material. (eating a large block of really good hash is best).

Sure LSD, Tryptamines, Mescaline and other RCs are ass kickingly strong but most people either smoke pot every day and so have a long term tolerance thing happening or they are people who occasionally smoke a few tokes of a J at a party but never have a huge amount because those few tokes get just them stoned enough and that was what they were after.

I heard Mckenna talk about this and why in his opinion Cannabis should be in the list of easily available and safe plant based psychedelics and after one or two pretty far out experiences with just THC as the active chemical I would have to put it right up there on my list too.

The factors that seemed to set it off were the standard set and setting rules that I would apply to any serious high dose experience of any psychedelic. Zero tolerance, No distractions, A good half day fast before hand, AN EFFECTIVE DOSE (very important), Lying down alone in silent darkness and watching the back of your eyelids expecting to see something.

Done this way I experienced total sensory and psychic mind warping, complex and exquisite visual hallucinations (not just geometric patterns but objects, entities, vistas, galaxies), the whole hallucinogenic tool box was open so to speak.

The come on can be controlled slowly by just eating it, then it takes a while to kick in like an acid trip, but smoke a huge straight joint of it and then switch out the light and lie down and the come up is almost as intense as DMT, it just floods into your system and if you are really paying attention just to what the drug is doing (not listening to chill out music or watching a movie) just lie there in the dark and observe your own mind and body then a big THC trip is a very very impressive run of flushes, waves, shudders and gasps, mixed with a whole lot of paranoia, fear, wonder and amazement.

But it has to me a very feminine and uniquely green woodland goddess kind of feel to it, the impression of a spirit or intelligence or mind behind the plant was as convincing as mushrooms or salvia.

Just smoked in this way the peak is usually over in 20 to 30 minutes maybe an hour if you really stay with it, then its back to normal familiar stoned-ness for the run back to baseline, if you eat a huge amount the trip can go on for hours and hours, but I am stressing high doses if you eat or smoke it, and again ZERO TOLERANCE.

I'm just curious why Cannabis seems so under discussed in the psychedelic community and so few people approach it in this way and explore its "Trippy-er" side.

Last edited:
The following is 90% speculation, 10% education...

I think it's maybe a dopamine thing, since dopamine deficiency is associated with depression, and too much dopamine is associated with manic-depressive or even psychotic symptoms.
Since smoking weed increases the amount of dopamine, a person a dopamine deficiency would get euphoria or at least relief from depression, while someone who already has a high dopaminergic transmission would experience psychotic symptoms by having them boosted...
So try mixing weed with B vitamins, maybe? B6, B9 and B12, i think, increase dopamine levels in the brain. But i don't really play with weed anymore so i don't know. It's something i've wondered about a lot in the past, though

after taking lsd, weed definitely puts me in a psychedelic headspace quite often now. almost to the point where its not nearly as recreational as it used to be before i tripped.

Come on webby, you didn't really say anything in your OP besides "cannabis can be psychedelic," if you want us to go against our policy of moving all cannabinoids-by-themselves threads to CD you're gonna have to come up with something more compelling.

As of now, this seems most appropriate to be sent to CD to be merged with this thread: http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/threads/404552-Psychedelic-Cannabis-Experiences

webby said:
I'm just curious why Cannabis seems so under discussed in the psychedelic community and so few people approach it in this way and explore its "Trippy-er" side.

Probably because most cannabis users use it too frequently to experience these effects on a regular basis, or the novelty of such states has worn off.

(I only toke a few times a year since I never buy the stuff myself, so I get very profound effects when I do. It's quite dissociative.)

Last edited:
Cannabis can be quite psychedelic. A clear mind, an ideal set and setting, a pure sativa, a low tolerance, and a large dose usually is ideal for psychedelia.

For the best psychedelic effects, vaporize (not smoke) a pure sativa wax or quality (amber colored) hash oil.

It has nothing to do with its Dopamine activity, daturaface. You are confusing psychosis with psychedelia, which only something as dopaminergic as meth/amphetamine can achieve through the DA overflow mechanism.

Come on webby, you didn't really say anything in your OP besides "cannabis can be psychedelic,"

Sorry, I was trying to avoid turning the OP into a trip report and was just generally mentioning that Cannabis and it's effects do stray into territory that does not automatically make all posts about it relevant for only the Cannabis forum.

I have (like i said) been a heavy daily user of Cannabis for 25 years and never included it in my own mental list of psychedelic drugs, until I had a couple of decades or psychedelic mileage under my belt with LSD, tryptamines and various other things, that accumulated knowledge coupled with an extended (4 year) period of Cannabis abstinence led me to a point where I said to myself, I wonder just how far out I can take my consciousness using only Cannabis.

I heard some mcKenna talks where he mentioned it and also read some classic old texts on the subject (the hash eaters and a few other standards) and descritions of the altered states that were induced in these sessions sounded very much more like an lsd trip report than a THC buzz, so I was intrigued.

That's the background now onto what actually happened.....

I waited till dark and had made sure the house was going to be empty all night and unplugged the phone, I fasted for 8 hours, (it all felt kind of silly going through all the preps one would usually take for mushrooms or lsd with only cannabis on the menu but I stuck to the method).

I then ingested a good half ounce of fresh potent high quality sativa, then I rolled 2 massive 3 paper joints of some sticky goopy teardrops of indica and went and lay down on the bed waiting to feel the first onset effects of the ingested matter.

As soon as I felt the body load of that begin to kick in I smoked both the Joints as fast as could suck them down and then turned off the light and shut my eyes.

what happened next will one day make it to "trip reports" and I wont go into all the details now but let me assure you it falls squarely into the class of +++ psychedelic experiences that I have ever had and now approach this kind of cannabis experience with the same respect, fear, trepidation and anxiety that accompanies a high dose psilocybin journey.

AND the most amazing thing about it was I had to keep saying to myself, this is Cannabis, what the fuck, all these years and I had never given this plant my full attention, and all these years there was a doorway to hyperspace available through this humble little plant, a plant that is used by millions of people everyday.

So the point of my post was to try and convince members of the psychedelic community to look again at Cannabis, I'm pretty sure that most users have (like me for so long) completely overlooked and underestimated the potential of this substance.

Elves, woodland scenes, entity encounters, hyper dimensional geometric worlds, little children playing spinning tops in the void, dragons, tunnels of fire, its all there to experience and just as with a deep psilocybin trip where you feel that the entity of the mushroom is accompanying and guiding you through there is a female spirit, entity, mind, (whatever you wanna call it) that is present in these far out THC journeys.

Move this to the Cannabis Forum if you want but I feel it deserves a place in PD as long as it doesn't turn into a series of "OH wow man I once got so stoned, me and my buddy blah blah blah....." posts.

(that would be the moderators job I guess).

But I have tried to engage the general Cannabis community on this subject before and it seemed to fall on deaf ears.

I was hoping some other Psychonaughts would back me up on this and we could maybe find a place here in PD for a well moderated and guided discussion on the topic for once.

Last edited:
I agree that this thread deserves a place in PD. Cannabis IS for me very much a psychedelic, and I see no reason why such a thread must exist in CD. I seldom visit CD, and I would love to see how this grows with the input from the PD regulars.

As for me I have (when I want to) psychedelic experiences with cannabis and some other cannabinoids like JWH-018. On the other hand, JWH-073 and others do not have for me the "psychedelic push". To trigger the psychedelic experience I require full body and attention integration in some other thing (ritual dancing, for instance) and suddenly the psychedelic dreamscape appears in full splendor. I require stronger than usual cannabis dosages, but not too strong, or I end up without being able to move and incapable of making sense of anything, just stupefied and far from any psychedelic effect. For these substances, IMO, dosage is critical.

No offense intended, but maybe you are doing the same thing, only more eloquently? Just a thought to consider anyway.

No offense taken but that's exactly what I am trying to avoid, and the line between sensible advanced discussion and just hoo haaring is very thin, hopefully we can find an intelligent balance here.

And the states of consciousness I am talking about here go way beyond the cliche of "stoned" and am trying to engage with people that explore the mind, pharmacology and spiritual consciousness experiences through the partnership and symbiotic relationships between the human organism and the organic world of plant chemistry.

There is scant literature in the way of official research studies done on this aspect of THC and I felt that the bluelight community especially the psychedelic discussion group would be a good place to try and explore this subject.

For me the key thing that defines an experience as psychedelic as opposed to just a mood enhancing effect is the content of the experience itself and I share with Mckenna a passion for true hallucinations, not just pretty colours and funny ideas, and Cannabis can deliver that experience in the right circumstances.

Last edited:
Due to HPPD, smoking weed is VERY visual for me. It happened when i noticed the HPPD and thereafter whenever i smoke a bifta i get fairly strong visual disturbances, not exactly like geometric shapes rather shapes and faces. Strong afterburn of colours and a lot of waving!

the other night I was incredibly high and tired after smoking all day and staying up until 5:00 AM.

When I laid down to go to sleep, it was like I was having dreams before I fell asleep. I saw people, places, situations, all getting more and more immersive until I would kinda realize I was falling into sleep so I would catch myself.

With the help of music I've had many memorable closed eye visuals with cannabis such as a big tribal statue of a head on a green background surrounded by pixels and other small visual static.

Whenever I take a large amount of edibles or smoke alot, I just get really paranoid. Then again maybe that is just because I live with my parents and I'm afraid of them finding out or whatever.

I'll try this soon though, eating a large amount of fire crackers and then smoking a good amount. I don't see how fasting would help do anything though besides digesting the edibles faster

A few weeks ago I got pretty high and started listening to Grateful dead; friend of the devil. I moderately enjoy the greatful dead sober but holy moly, this was like a whole different song listening to it high. I realized the dead played every note one at a time, nothing truly overlapped. it was amazing. This is how it was meant to be heard. I can't even imagine how it would sound on mushrooms or lsd. Once I get some, thats on the top of my to do list.

I agree that this thread deserves a place in PD. Cannabis IS for me very much a psychedelic, and I see no reason why such a thread must exist in CD. I seldom visit CD, and I would love to see how this grows with the input from the PD regulars.

As for me I have (when I want to) psychedelic experiences with cannabis and some other cannabinoids like JWH-018. On the other hand, JWH-073 and others do not have for me the "psychedelic push". To trigger the psychedelic experience I require full body and attention integration in some other thing (ritual dancing, for instance) and suddenly the psychedelic dreamscape appears in full splendor. I require stronger than usual cannabis dosages, but not too strong, or I end up without being able to move and incapable of making sense of anything, just stupefied and far from any psychedelic effect. For these substances, IMO, dosage is critical.
One time I got a little carried away after some benzos and just kept vaping bowl after bowl, after a few g I was laughing constantly at absolutely nothing for about 30 minutes, then I tried talking and I couldn't say more than 2 words out of my actual mouth although I could think them in my head normally.

I personally find cannabis is only valuable for mixing with other drugs.

Pfft I want to know how to make weed LESS psychedelic lol. I get intense CEV and almost OBE from just a little too many hits haha

I am an everyday smoker but enough dabs of quality bho can have me in a very psychedelic headspace. I think good wax or oil is probably the best for experiencing the really psychedelic side of cannabis. Doing some dabs once peaking on some edibles can have people straight tripping and can be overwhelming for many.

I agree completely that weed can be an intense hallucinogen, though I'm not really one to talk since I've never done any mushrooms or lsd. I've been smoking off and on for 2 years. My tolerance to weed is very spotty. Sometimes I get super baked off very little and sometimes I smoke a little more and barely feel anything. I usually smoke 2-3 nights in a row and skip a night or two from use to keep rejuvenated. Just recently I decided to take seven days off. I ran a lot every day and worked out. When I returned to weed I loaded a fat bowl and took a massive rip, so big I almost puked. Then I took another small rip. For the first ten minutes my body was submerged in an incredible body high, then the mental high kicked in over another ten minutes. WHen it peaked it really peaked. I was extremely baked to say the least. I usually mix my weed with other herbs like kratom, wormwood, passionflower, or cigarettes for enhancement. This time it was THC all by itself. People really don't give it enough credit. Even after having a wicked high tolerance all it takes is a few days abstaining, and a couple of massive rips and I'm flying.