• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Quitting/Tapering Thread.

^It's always good to hear stories like that:)

It's great when people who have been on both sides of the fence can report back in a balanced way, as you've done Rayvechik7. No judgement or "you should"s. Just an upbeat account of someone who's come out OK. These are really valuable signposts for people who are on the dark journey of trying to get off something addictive. Posts like these affirm that it IS possible to make a come back to health and stability.

Been 4 weeks without touching a thing.

Had a big 4 day binge a month ago after purchacing a gram just before my guy went away on a holiday. Ended up shouting a friend about 3 points over that weekend just to ensure there was nothing left past the Sunday night and into the working week. My friend wanted me to try and chase some last weekend however I just wasnt even keen to try other sources. I knew my guy was back tomorrow so it was easy for me to wait.

I have had a lot going on with my family over the last few weeks so maybe that was a good distraction however I have just not craved at all. I know if I can I will be on it again in the next few days, however I would love to keep my use to monthly, or even less.

He's to hoping my guy keeps going away for extened periods of time !!

16 days off H cold turkey

Hey all, not sure why im making this thread but been a long time lurker and i guess want to share my experience as its hopefully the end of a 5 year addiction. Im 23 and been on methadone and suboxone and have successfully detoxed off both been on and off them over the last 5 years however have relapsed after the acute stages sometimes a couple weeks off, sometimes months. but have beaten the acute stage many times. It seems to be the mental aspect or PAWS that eventually sends me back. Anyway Ive made it 16 days CT off 40mg dome and 0.8 a day H habit and although it was hard, looking back it was easy by using simple techniques as hot baths, a little mj, phenergan after RLS is gone for sleep and a desire to end this nightmare once and for all.

All in all it lasted about 12 days which i was surprised but it could be because i was only on dome for 6 months this time i dried out last year in december and that time took about 6 weeks to feel completely good off suboxone/methadone of much longer maiteneance and higher doses.

anyway this is a shout out to anyone going thrue this shit to keep going strong and for anyone to share their progess if there drying out to.

im STILL currently weening off methadone n xanax. been on both around 2 years or more, not exactly sure .

iv almost halved my xanax , n knocked maybe 15mg off my 135mg methadone doses.

tho iv gone back up in doses when times r tough , leaving me to start basically all over again

i tried to drop my doses by 5mg once n ended up crook as hell so now its like 2mg a week or fortnite, sometimes i forget to tell em or they fuck up n dont even bother typing it in the computer that i want to drop 2mg off of my dose wich is bullshit on theyre part imo .

plus i also use still, every now n again, so dependin how much i use n how often, always i.v, exept if certain ppl r around or if its just a bedtime line
a cpl of times iv had to re-up my done dose . pain in the fekn ass it is

the methadone doesnt really worry me i know ill eventually be off it, it doesnt get me high whatsoever so i have no pull towards it , but the xanax id really love to be able to kick

im pretty sure that all made sense

peace

Last edited:
I feel like I'm kind of at the end of the road substance wise though, having burnt out on most classes so far. .

i think that too all the time, but then think . what the fuck am i gonna do now for a high. workin on my new-ish car helps but motox has been the best substitute so far for sure

Codeine addiction - over 300mg a day - now in recovery going cold turkey

My recovery story started 4 days ago and will continue for many months and years to come but i am determined to get my life back on track where I can finally love myself again.

3 years ago this terrible disease entered my life and like most people it started with me having no idea what was to come. To be honest I don't even know what sparked it, all I know is that it started with every few days I would take a few Nurofen plus (200mg ibuprofen,12.8mg codeine) and life seemed perfect until one day I was all off a sudden relying on a minimum of 10 tablets a day which soon turned into a living nightmare where I was not only taking up to 30 tablets a day just to keep up with the tolerance I had to developed but soon realised that without that much codeine in my system I was no longer able to function to start my day, get throughout my day and then get a good sleep at night time.

I beleive there are three stages to codeine addiction (and also many other drugs). The first stage is having no idea what path you are headed down when you first start taking codeine long term. The second being you have an idea what you are doing isn't normal but you feel you are still in a safe place and continue the hunt so you can continue on with life. And now the third and I believe the most dangerous is when you know you can't live without it but you also know you are really going to damage you body and your life if you continue down this road.

I had tried to quite several times over the last 12 months but 24 hours after my last dose I could feel the flu like symptoms coming on with the restlessness and would go straight back into my hell taking 5-10 pills at a time to calm myself down. I hated myself for it but it just didn't feel like a had a choice.
Now through all of this my wife knew I was taking a lot of codeine products but we had never really talked about it, I would always just act like there was never a problem when she found a large stash of emptied nurofen plus packets around the house or in my car. I was always embarrassed when this happened but I kept going because I thought it was just too hard to give it the flick.

And now to my final stand... I had been trying to ween myself off it for a while now but kept finding myself going back to the old habits, so I thought my only option was to go cold turkey and that started 4 days ago. My last large does was on Friday morning and although I would usually follow that with another dose later in the day I stayed away because I knew if I did, I would just be delaying the inevitable. I suppose I slept OK because I knew it would take 24 hours for the withdrawals so on Saturday morning a took a 3 panadeine (paracetamol 500mg /8mg codeine) and managed to get through the day although in that time I could feel the flu like symptoms of the withdrawal coming along but were not that strong so I managed to get through my day and although it wasn't my greatest night sleep I still felt ok. On the following Sunday morning I took another 3 Panadeine but that is where it hit me... My body was so used to consuming anywhere from 100mg to 300mg of codeine a day the 34mg of codeine I had taken did absolutely nothing so I knew anything to follow was going to be painful... And it was.... By Sunday lunch my whole body ached, I couldn't walk more than a few meters without feeling exhausted but when I sat down I was so restless all I wanted to do was get up and walk again to keep my legs moving to try and alleviate the restless pain I was experiencing,but nothing helped, I was well and truly in my withdrawal phase. The sweats started followed by the chills followed by a bad case of the runs so I knew this pain was the beginning of my recovery. But at the same time had to make the decision to either take more codeine or just walk away from it and just deal with it. I am happy to say that I did not take any more codeine. I managed to get through the day but only had about 3 hours sleep that night. I got up around 5:00am on Monday (called in sick to work for a few days) and just tried to relax on the couch watching the tv but dealing with this restlessness, the throbbing pain in my legs and a headache was just to much, but then something happened. I completely broke down into tears. I felt like it was a combination of the hate I had for myself mixed with feeling that I might actually get through this all. That was well and truly my lowest point. My dog was right there with me and he knew I was in pain so he just sat next to be and put his paw on my shoulder and just stayed with whilst I cried. I looked at him and made him a promise he would never see me under the influence of opioids again (sounds stupid, but a promise is a promise). Throughout all of this my wife was asleep in bed so I didn't want to disturb her so I dried my eyes and went and had a hot shower.

After my shower I went out for a bit and then came home feeling like a little worm on a big f***ing hook (line from 'The Crow').
I then went to lay down on my bed and before I knew what was happening I broke down in tears again and knew this was now the time my wife needs to hear my story. I told her everything and although she said she knew what I was doing, it was the first time I didn't feel alone in all of this. I just only wish I told her sooner, she was so great she just sat on the bed rubbing my back offering comfort. Although I felt the terrible withdrawal symptoms hitting me hard I felt at ease with my wife right there by my side. So yesterday I threw out all codeine meds and my wife helped me clean out my car of all the empty packets of codeine containing meds. That afternoon we went for a walk around the bay and even though I still felt terrible I could start to feel some clarity too.

It is now 8:00am Tuesday and although I still only had about 4 hours sleep I can feel my aches and pains starting to slowly leave my body and I truly believe the worst is now behind me even thought I still have a few more days of feeling uncomfortable and possibly a few more weeks before my sleeping patterns return to their natural state, but I am determined to get there.
For those of you who can relate to my story and to those trying to come clean please leave your feedback as the more positive reinforcement I receive, the higher my chance of success will be.

I will leave another post in a few days to let you all know how I am going so for now I say thank you in advance for your encouragement and those trying to be clean.. If I can do it, you can to.
Clint

I am sorry to hear that but know you are not alone, I am a little concerned that you just ate 30 tablets a day, a little late now but a CWE removes most of the paracetamol/ibuprofen, You say you are 4 days in, the worst of it should be over very shortly just remember that and the emotions you felt when you were withdrawing will help you immensely. Stay strong and remember you are already past the worst of it and I envy you for going without.

^ What 88brenno said about a CWE is very important - it wasn't clear to me whether you were extracting the codeine or just eating the tablets?

Although if all goes to plan your wont need be using codeine again, if you do decide to use again, even just once, please read over the Codeine and CWE Megathread. Here you can find all sorts of useful advice, but most importantly, instructions on how to do a cold water extraction (if you don't already know how to do this). This is so important, as it helps you remove the majority of the paracetamol and ibuprofen from the codeine - and it's the paracetamol and ibu that are damaging to the body. Chronic ibu use can use stomach ulcers, and there's a real risk of significant, irreversible and even fatal liver damage from chronic paracetamol use. Even staying within the recommended doses of para can cause damage if you use it daily for long periods.

If you haven't been extracting your codeine, I would highly recommend you go to a doctor and get checked out, particularly for liver damage.

After all that - good work for deciding to make a change and being tough enough to stick with it since Friday. That's something you should be really proud of yourself for, it's not easy. If your last dose was Friday morning, it looks like now you've had 5 days off it, and I think you're well over the worst. I found when quitting codeine that the wd's peak at 48 hours, and then get better from there.

Getting through the physical wd's and staying strong is one thing, but as with any addiction, there's probably a strong psychological component too. I find codeine has its particular difficulties because compared to some other drugs, it's freely available, there's plenty of triggers, and not buying it is harder than deleting some dealers' numbers from your phone. I think it's fantastic that you've opened up to your wife about this and that she's supportive - I think that's going to be a really beneficial factor for you. Being honest with people about something like this can be hard, especially if you feel ashamed or don't want to disappoint them - but I think continuing to be honest will allow your wife to help you - and it sounds like she's willing to do this. Same with your dog - I don't think it's silly at all that he can be part of your recovery. Pets can be really perceptive and sometimes they just seem to know when you need them to just sit with you quietly and be with you for awhile.

Another thing to keep in mind is that if you've been using for 3 years, relearning to live without it will take some time too. Just be aware that it is an ongoing process, and don't give up if it feels like you're not getting anywhere. As you move away from it I think you'll notice more and more signs you're getting better - but you might also experience some tough moments. I find it helpful to keep in mind 'the only thing that's certain is change' - in other words, no matter how bad or cravey you feel, you can be sure that that feeling wont last forever. Intense cravings don't last long - and I think you'll find if you can just put off making a decision til tomorrow, or even just til the next hour, that you'll find the craving has lost it's intensity.

There's lots of advice and support available here on Bluelight, in particular I recommend you check out The Dark Side. Some areas of Bluelight can be quite triggering, but in The Dark Side you'll find some incredible people and lots of support, as well as lots of useful advice if you look through some of the threads there.

All the best, and welcome to Bluelight :)

It's good that you quit from codeine, a decent codeine habit is definitely very painful, but a lot of people move on to stronger opiods after using codeine, such as morphine, oxycodone or heroin. What you have felt is nothing like the withdrawal from these, so be thankful you stopped when you did. Another thing to consider is the fact that a lot of people don't understand this, they think codeine is so bad, nothing could be worse, so they go on opiod maintenance such as methadone or buprenorphine from a codeine addiction. This is the worst idea I have ever heard, doctors who recommend this should lose their license. Even Busty would be better than them.

Methadone would have to be the hardest drug I came off...Twice.. First time jumped off 40ml and went cold turkey. Not the best of ideas, but I found out I was pregnant so I jumped off.
Second time I did what all the doctors recommend, and came off slowly over 3 months, and to be honest, it was really no different at the end. Ended up back on smack to get off the methadone and so forth..
15 years long service to heroin was more than enough. The lifestyle was enough to make me wanna quit.

Then came the Ice age... Sigh.. But on a positive note, I havent revisited my old fave in 6 years. I think Im smart enough to admit that it wouldnt be a case of third time lucky .

5:00am... Day 6 of recovery... I still am very restless and cannot get more than a few hours of sleep at night but like all process it will just be a matter of time when things start to settle back in to place. Other than that most of the symptoms have gone except for the general tiredness and lethargy.

Footscrazy and 88breno..... You asked if I was CWE or just eating the tablets... Well, both to be exact but unfortunately in the more the recent times it was straight tablets of Nurofen Plus. Good news is that I had some blood tests done a little while ago and my liver is fine but when I feel better I might go get checked out again just to make sure.

I am going to start going to NA meetings as of next week. My wife has offered to look into for me to get the ball rolling. She has been my absolute rock and although she could have either had a huge crack at me or even worse leave me for my deceit, she has just stood by me and offered to help out where she can. I owe her my life.

Thank you to those who have responded also. Although I knew I was not alone in all of this, it's certainly reassuring when you get the direct feedback for those who have been where I am.

More strength to you thorn :) First 6 would have def been the hardest.

I hope it gets easier from here on for you.

best of luck, thorn:) sounds like you're pretty clued onto the situation and have the support around you which will help things that much more easier in the end.

The physical side of withdraw is nothing, (granted your not using it to withdraw off stronger opiods) I have been on much higher doses and gone without for 4 days in an attempt to quit before, all I got was maybe a headache here and there, and stuffy nose. It's more the mental side of it I found difficult, you just need to find something to replace what was once your way of dealing with things going on in your life, there are many different things you could do to distract your mind from it and with repeated distraction creates a new way of thinking.

good stuff thorn, quitting opiates is fucking tough, kudos to you man. i didnt realise how hard it is getting off but more importantly staying off before i got addicted, if i had i might have thought a bit harder about what i was doing. one thing to keep in mind is withdrawal is only the first part of getting clean, life without opiates comes next and its much more difficult than you might expect. boredom, stress, anxiety and even being positive and happy can be excuses or triggers to use again. ive gone through crippling heroin withdrawal only to relapse into full-time use a week or two later knowing all my hard work was for pretty much nothing, the urge to use again can be unbelievably powerful and once you have used and are under the blanket its so easy to blank the consequences and get yourself in over your head again. its amazing what bullshit you can come up with to justify using ' just this one time' or 'just once more'. also the time it takes to become physically dependent on opiates seems to lessen with each relapse, its like the kindling phenomenon alcoholics and benzo addicts suffer when they repeatedly relapse. i used to be able to use several times for up to 3 consecutive days after the first time i cleaned up without anything more than a slight sniffle - the last time i relapsed i used 3 times in 2 days and found myself in pretty bad withdrawals, that was 2 years ago and ive been using daily since.

goodluck man and like footscrazy and brenno said if you do relapse dont forget to cwe!

Cheers cassandragemini.... I know there is still a hard road to go down but... Just so everyone knows, this is not my first drug addiction.... I smoked weed for about 10 years straight (I know weed is nothing compared to other drugs), spent a full year smoking crystal almost every day and obviously my last 3 years of codeine. So I have an idea of how my mind will react but at the same I know it can be different every time. I am somewhat of a musician and am very keen to put all my energy back into that to try and keep myself focused.

88.....I wish I could say the physical w/d are nothing but for me they hit pretty hard. Going in to day 7 tomorrow and can slowly feel my strength coming back. Took the dogs for a walk tonight (American Staffy & Bull-Boxer so not the smallest and easiest of dogs to walk) and found out I was able to at least start some exercise routines.... Might actually get some sleep tonight.....Nah... Who am I kidding?..lol

Once again... I really do appreciate everyone's comments... So thank you.

/\
/\
/\

Just a quick add on.. It's now 5:30am Friday and I am at day 7 of my detox... I still can't sleep for more than a few hours and my heart feels like it wants to burst out of my chest but other than that I feel OK.

Last edited:
get your heart rate/BP checked out by a doctor. you may find respite in using a beta-blocker (atenolol for instance) short term while your body is readjusting back to ground zero; something to help ease the high blood pressure.

i've got Hhigh BP and even taking my prescribed atenolol dose throughout wd's is barely enough to keep things in check - sometimes having to up my dose.

you're doing great so far by the sounds of it.

Regarding Valium WD's to the OP most def my valium WD's really kicked in arround day 14 - 16 haard Xanax was worse but over sooner far less protracted WD's than Diaz