• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Quitting/Tapering Thread.

Thank you so much for the first time I'm really beginning to think I can do this every other time I've been so afraid that it's been easier to not stop but now due to changes in the law I've been given a push and all this advice has helped me no end in a way I'm actually excited I'm going to get my life back!

How would I go about obtaining Lyrica? I've just got a new job I love and would like to keep it.so I want to do everything in my power to succeed and having this information will help me thank you all again

Also just an update my taper is still successful in no small part to the help I've received here so thank you x

How would I go about obtaining Lyrica? I've just got a new job I love and would like to keep it.so I want to do everything in my power to succeed and having this information will help me thank you all again

yeah I too would like to understand this. Is it prescription? Can I walk into any ole GP and they'll give a script? or is it the sort of drug that you need a bit of a relationship?

yo people....help a guy out

Who prescribes Lyrica and is it for the purpose of managing withdrawals or is that off-label? Is it a highly scheduled substance that requires all sorts of scrutiny or can any GP prescribe?

I do not believe it is a highly scheduled substance. You might find it difficult to convince a GP to prescribe you a short-term plan however if they find it is simply for opiate withdrawal.

Perhaps someone can chime in with some more information for Chugsy.

Can anyone suggest how to take Lyrica with respects to opiate induced sickness. I don't understand dosing and such for this purpose. I've seen people claim to use up to 300-700mg whilst for analgsic purposes i've seen people claim to use 25mg.

Big huge difference in those doses so if anyone has a story about how they used lyrica to nullify the symptoms of stopping heroin I would love to hear it.

Hi people,

I was known as "Halif" until I went away and then forgot my password. I was a friend IRL to Footscrazy and Spacejunk briefly. I really liked those guys when I met up with them. I hope they are OK.

I'm actually just re-connecting with the site and don't have anything to add. I'm sorry.

I am still on opioid maintenance and anti-depressants, and still struggling to get off these things. I have toned right the fuck down however compared to where I was at previously. It seems that I will make it to 40 years old after all. Likely. Probably.

I am/was a polydrug addict with a history of rather extreme drug abuse. Just wanted to say hi to some of the BL'ers I used to chat with.

Bye. (Failed quitter)

HALIF!
I've missed you buddy! Welcome back my friend

Oh shit, hello hello!

I'm sorry for any PMs or emails I may have missed from you. I've been putting the pieces together and it's a long and arduous process. Day by day I am fighting to keep my finger off the internal 'self-destruct trigger'. Sometimes I win and sometimes not.

Hello all.

I am interested in peoples opinion on whether or not the plan I am considering is stupid or not.

So I have been an opioid addict for over 22 yrs.

I went on methadone back in the year 2000 and only attempted to get of it last year.

I tapered down from a dose of 100mg to a dose of 17.5mg over the years.

Even at this low dose my withdrawl was bad and I started using heroin at day 9 which of coarse stopped my suffering, after 6 days of using I then went on suboxone.

That was October 14 last year so I have been on sub at 8mg now for just under 9 months.

My issue is I cannot cope with the long wd, I have been told by some that sub beuing only a partial agonist has a less severe wd but it will still last a long time due to it having just as long a half life as methadone or even slightly longer.

I have also been told by others that due to buprenorphines extremely high binding affinity that the wd is pretty much as bad as methadone and just as long.

My plan is, as I live in oz to stock up on codeine until I have enough for say 2 months, use the codeine until the sub is out of my system, then come of the codeine, which should be a quick detox using suboxone for about 3 days.

Am I kidding myself here?

I know there is a risk that I won't want to stop the codeine but really it would be almost impossible to continue daily use with the new laws.

I believe this would be a relatively painless and fast detox.

I know I will have to deal with other issues even if this did succeed but right now it is the wd that I just can't get past and I am thinking this may work to get me over the first hurdle.

Opinions?

I haven't tried it, but I've been considering the exact same plan for when I drop off suboxone, so if you do go ahead with it I'd be interested to know how it turns out.

Theoretically it sounds like it should work if you stay on the codeine long enough, especially since with the codeine you can taper down to an almost infinitesimal dose, but I never came across anyone who's actually tried it.

Hi people,

I was known as "Halif" until I went away and then forgot my password. I was a friend IRL to Footscrazy and Spacejunk briefly. I really liked those guys when I met up with them. I hope they are OK.

I'm actually just re-connecting with the site and don't have anything to add. I'm sorry.

I am still on opioid maintenance and anti-depressants, and still struggling to get off these things. I have toned right the fuck down however compared to where I was at previously. It seems that I will make it to 40 years old after all. Likely. Probably.

I am/was a polydrug addict with a history of rather extreme drug abuse. Just wanted to say hi to some of the BL'ers I used to chat with.

Bye. (Failed quitter)

Hi Halif,

I've lurked AUDD (with the occasional post) for many years & whilst members come & go all the time on BL, yours is a name I remember well. I feel compelled to respond because I clearly recall that you were an outstanding contributor & always posted with intelligence & insight. (I realise that I'm a total stranger on an Internet forum whom you wouldn't know from a bar of soap, ergo I do hope I'm not coming across as a complete & utter weirdo haha.)

I remember reading of your struggles; although I understand it's an ongoing battle it is good to hear that you're hanging in there & maintaining your resolve against all odds. My finger is never far from that pesky 'self-destruct button' either so I empathise & admire your resilience.
If you feel comfortable sharing, which route did you opt to take with opioid maintenance?

All the very best.

Last edited:
@vision conquest -If you're on 8mg of bupe, i'd be surprised if any amount of codeine would hold you from withdrawal.

You guys i guess would know better than me, as i've never been on bupe maintenance - but can you seriously get anything out of codeine when you're on subs?
I imagined that if you were in full-blown suboxone wds, codeine might provide some relief - maybe. I wouldn't be surprised if ceiling-dose amounts of codeine did nothing to help with withdrawals off 8mg bupe.

But as i said - thats a total guess cause ive never been on suboxone.
Bupe can be so damned effective for rapid-tapering people off other opiates, but i dont think it works so well the other way around.

Tapering off with codeine - if it is indeed possible to do - would probably require a pretty massive amount of otc pain pills, if we only consider the tolerance issue. Does codeine work at all when you've been maintained on bupe 24/7?
I would have assumed that codeine just wouldn't be effective at all.

This shit gets expensive and complicated when you start trying to take enough otc codeine pills to cover bupe withdrawal - especially as a lot of pharmacies are apparently recording id upon otc codeine purchases, and sharing the info between stores.
The horse has well n truly bolted, i'm afraid :(

I honestly think you'd be better off facing the withdrawals - but with 'comfort meds' that target specific symptoms of withdrawal - clonidine etc - and an seek the help of a doctor that works in the drug rehab/detox/harm minimisation field - because some docs don't really know much about how to get someone off drugs.
Taking an weak opiate to try to kick a strong opioid

Hi Halif,

I've lurked AUDD (with the occasional post) for many years & whilst members come & go all the time on BL, yours is a name I remember well. I feel compelled to respond because I clearly recall that you were an outstanding contributor & always posted with intelligence & insight. (I realise that I'm a total stranger on an Internet forum whom you wouldn't know from a bar of soap, ergo I do hope I'm not coming across as a complete & utter weirdo haha.)

I remember reading of your struggles; although I understand it's an ongoing battle it is good to hear that you're hanging in there & maintaining your resolve against all odds. My finger is never far from that pesky 'self-destruct button' either so I empathise & admire your resilience.
If you feel comfortable sharing, which route did you opt to take with opioid maintenance?

All the very best.

^ i used to feel the same way about halif.
That he was some amazing dude on a computer who i thought really highly of, even though i knew nothing about him, outside of what he posts here.

Then i met him and we've hung out a bunch of times when i've been in Melbourne - and he's exactly as i pictured him from his posts - a warm, compassionate gentleman who i clicked with immediately.
I'm so glad to see that name pop up. Halif's good people.

Thanks for the replys.
Spacejunk I would not expect codeine to be able to get over the 8mg sub, I would do a rapid taper over say 2 weeks or so down to 2mg, jump from there and wait until wd started before starting to use the codeine.

I am aware that pharmacies are starting to crack down on codeine purchases so I figured I could stock up over an extended period of time.

The fact that sub is an excellent med for getting people through wd from short acting opioids and not so good as a maintenance med is the whole idea behind this plan.

Crankinit if I do end up doing this I will definitely report my results, though it would be at least a few months yet before I would start, if I did decide to do it.
Lastly I won't start a debate on whether or not codeine has a ceiling dose.

Good luck, vision conquest.
It's a rough ride; but well worth it if you can improve your quality of life.

I'm very curious to hear if:
Bupe maintenance -> codeine -> bupe rapid taper
.. is possible. Good luck with the taper(s) regardless - and please keep us posted on how youre going :)

My issue is I cannot cope with the long wd, I have been told by some that sub beuing only a partial agonist has a less severe wd but it will still last a long time due to it having just as long a half life as methadone or even slightly longer. I have also been told by others that due to buprenorphines extremely high binding affinity that the wd is pretty much as bad as methadone and just as long.

My plan is, as I live in oz to stock up on codeine until I have enough for say 2 months, use the codeine until the sub is out of my system, then come of the codeine, which should be a quick detox using suboxone for about 3 days. Am I kidding myself here? I know there is a risk that I won't want to stop the codeine but really it would be almost impossible to continue daily use with the new laws. I believe this would be a relatively painless and fast detox. I know I will have to deal with other issues even if this did succeed but right now it is the wd that I just can't get past and I am thinking this may work to get me over the first hurdle.

Opinions?

Hi VC,

Firstly you need to taper down. No one has ever successfully jumped from 8mg of buprenorphine. Its basically 200x the standard dose of morphine - imagine quitting from 2-4 grams of daily heroin! Its just not possible. There is a great website that has a awesome description of how to taper down - http://www.helpmegetoffdrugs.com/taper - from how to cut up your strips to actually calculating your dose every day (and making it into a pdf so you can print it and keep track).

Thousands of people have tapered off of buprenorphine with little to no problems/withdrawals. The long taper and the fact once your down to 0.2mg means that you'll have a tolerance/dosage of a opiate naive individual. That's why jumping from such a low dose is far easier and simpler. People talk about PAWS all the time but its extremely rare. Especially from a clinical point of view. People just don't get it or they jump from a far higher dose of bup and mistake the withdrawals with PAWs.

Anyway I've finally started my taper after the worst hellish insanely fucked up induction last week (stupidly i jumped from 600mg of diamorphine). So in the last 7 days I went from

day 1. 42mg
day 2. 32mg
day 3. 16mg
day 4. 12mg
day 5. 10mg
day 6. 10mg
Month 2 = 8mg - 4mg
Month 3 = 4mg - 0.2mg.

Once you're below 0.2mg its a little tricky but you just cut em up. keep em sealed so they don't get sticky. My last dose in month 3 will be 2mg though. Basically i coast for a week, winding down off of the 2mg which after 3 months means that I won't end up going up re tolerance.

If you're having trouble dividing subs into lower doses you can also dissolve them into water and do it that way.

If you're having trouble dividing subs into lower doses you can also dissolve them into water and do it that way.

how do you absorb it under your tongue if you dissolve it in water?

or do you plug it?

You can even squirt a couple of units of bupe solution up your nose with a syringe without a needle, unpleasant as that sounds.
I did that once when i was doing a bupe rapid taper; really helped get to the absolute lowest doses possible before jumping off.

Mixed in a tiny bit of vodka for higher bioavailability and to theoretically prevent the soluton from being some kind of fertile breeding ground for bacteria (though admittedly i'm not sure how likely that is or how much a few ml of vodka would prevent bacteria from growing).
It really wasn't such a bad ROA, once i got used to "waterlining" (the term some people use to describe insufflating liquids) the stuff.

Nasal bioavailability is high, and you dont have to worry about so much about having it sit under your tongue for long enough to absorb, etc - just use absolutely minimal water, make note of how strong your solution is (ie how much bupe there is in, say 1mL of solution) so you can easily determine how much is in the 0.2mL (or whatever) of solution you're squirting up your nostril (or into your mouth, plugging or whatever).

Also, i should stress that the amount of alcohol required in the method i've described is very, very minimal; way below any kind of intoxicating amounts. i don't drink alcohol, and wouldn't want to encourage people to squirt any liquid with a high concentration of alcohol up their noses.
Not sure if the nasal administration of bupe solution has any distinct advantages over the sublingual approach crankinit describes - but it was convenient for me when i did a taper a few years ago. Whatever works for you.