• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Is Methylthioninium chloride a reversible or irreversible MAOI?

Aetherius Rimor

Bluelighter
I was reading about this substance (also known as Methylene Blue), and noticed that it was an MAOI.

Found the citation for this here:

http://www.springerlink.com/content/n72375k4524vp31u/fulltext.pdf

However it does not specify whether it is a reversible or irreversible MAOI.

In my research I've noticed that it is sometimes used as a placebo, and several therapeutic uses... so this has me really curious. If it's reversible, then it just needs to ensure that nothing will cause serotonin syndrome, or that an allergy to it doesn't exist.

If it's irreversible, this makes me consider this substances to require a bit more care when deciding to use it. Especially as a placebo, where it could have last effects for up a few weeks after taken.

Anyone know more about this substance?

great for demonstrating oxidizing/reducing environments and their kinetics. slam a few mL and tell us what happens... or google it.

From http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2078225/ :
MB is a potent reversible inhibitor of MAO A with implications for gut uptake of amines when administered orally. At concentrations reported in the literature after intravenous administration, MAO B would be partially inhibited but MAO A would be completely inhibited. This inhibition of MAO A would be expected to lead to perturbations of 5-hydroxytryptamine metabolism and hence account for ST occurring when administered to patients on SSRI treatment.

Curiously, methylene blue colors the whites of ones eyes blue if a large enough amount is ingested, this reminds me of the drug melange in Frank Herbert's scifi novel 'Dune'.

I've thought about this myself. May get some, mostly for the novelty of nonchalantly having a blue piss in a public toilet. As far as reversible MAOA Inhibitors go, I'd sooner go for Moclobemide as I'm familiar with it's pharmacology and there's much more research on it's medicinal uses. I'm certainly interested in other aspects of it's pharm though, especially nitric oxide which IIRC is important in the development of drug tolerance.

Anyway, I thought this T1/2 info may be useful for anyone that want's to try methylene blue as an MAOI or just fuck with their mates etc.

Pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic data on methylene blue are limited. Small trials conducted in rats have shown rapid distribution into tissue of the brain, heart, lungs, liver, and kidneys after intravenous administration.[26, 27] In seven healthy patients, methylene blue clearance was calculated by using the trapezoidal method and was found to be a mean ± SD of 3 ± 0.7 L/minute after a one-time intravenous dose of 100 mg. Urinary excretion accounted for 28.6 ± 3% of drug clearance over a 24-hour period, one third of which was recovered as the primary metabolite, leucomethylene blue. The observed terminal half-life in this study was 6.6 hours between 4 and 24 hours after administration, similar to the predicted half-life of 5.25 hours based on the investigators' best fit model.[27] The influence of septic shock on methylene blue's pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic profile remains unknown.
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/725155_2
[26] DiSanto AR, Wagner JG. Pharmacokinetics of highly ionized drugs. II. Methylene blue: absorption, metabolism, and excretion in man and dog after oral administration. J Pharm Sci 1972;61:1086–90.
[27]Peter C, Hongwan D, Kupfer A, Lauterburg BH. Pharmacokinetics and organ distribution of intravenous and oral methylene blue. Eur J Clin Pharmacol 2000;56:247–50

Last edited:
http://www.drugs.com/dosage/methylene-blue.html
[For treating] drug-induced methemoglobinemia: 1 to 2 mg/kg intravenously. May repeat in one hour if necessary.

I've no idea if it has the potential to cause Hyperoxia, but it the above should be taken into account if you're going to consuming this. Regular use should probably be avoided to. Excessive oxidative stress and seizures aren't usually considered either 'fun' nor 'safe'. I also expect my eyes to stay connected the way evolution intended. But evolution also created the french, who went on to create the SCART cable. Nobody's perfect :p.