• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

MDMA and Digestive Issues

mmv2588

Greenlighter
Alright so I joined this forum specifically to share what happened to me as I feel there was little to no information about this on the web.

So I started doing "Molly" around the end of November of 2011 and as with a lot of users I got hooked. I started doing it every other weekend and that soon became every weekend sometimes even both Friday and Saturday.
It became all I really ever thought about but I knew it wasn't something you should do often. After a few bad rolls I almost gave up molly but decided on sticking with one good dealer and not buying outside of them.
I never had a bad roll again. Although about a month and a half ago my stomach felt weird, (to the touch) Ive always been really lean and skinny, I still am but in regards to my belly it was always super firm and flat. It somehow in one weeks time frame had felt mushy. still flat but mushy. very weird. I decided just to start running and do more aerobic activity even though I was already incredibly active (maybe it was my metabolism?). It just felt weird to me. At the same time I got Ulcers all down my throat which happened right after I had snorted molly and caused an infection in my throat. It all felt weird to me.
Anyways time goes by and my throat infection has gone away but my stomach remains and symptoms are getting worse. I almost feel like a have a balloon inside my stomach and every time I eat it inflates and my stomach distends so far out I literally looked pregnant, I became constipated and always always hungry. I could feel and hear my stomach gurgling and my intestines moving. It became all I thought about. It started making me depressed. I didn't want to go out or do anything. I was self conscious about it even though nobody could tell but I could. My body was no longer the same.
I did extensive research on it, afraid to go to the doctor, (had no health insurance either) and thought either h pylori bacteria, gastritis, IBS, celiac disease etc... the list goes on.
BUT IN FACT I HAD NONE OF THESE.

I had not linked that what was happening to me could all be happening because of my habitual use of MDMA in the past.
Of course I hadn't thought of it because I had done so much research on it in the past, digestive/stomach issues never came up under long term use systems.
We all know that molly makes us poop on the come up but I never linked the two until I read that although serotonins purpose is to make you feel "good" it also controls your digestive system.
Our intestines are our "second brain". Serotonin is what keeps them going. Just as it helps us sleep and regulates our hunger.
So I put two and two together and realized that what was wrong with me was that my serotonin levels were not equipped enough to have me in a healthy state, which is why I was always down and out (completely out of character for me) and why I was having such horrible stomach issues.
I decided to take 5 htp to somehow re-up my serotonin. I had NO IDEA if it would work but I was willing to give it a chance after reading many mixed reviews.
It was worth a shot.
After only taking it once, ( I am not exaggerating) I felt a world of a difference. Overnight my stomach flattened out. I was having regular bowel movements again, its like my body bounced back overnight. My stomach was still a little bloated but nothing compared to the way it looked and felt before. I felt like I had my health back which was the ONE THING i wanted back. I could easily get back into shape by exercising.

Anyways I really hope that this could help some people out there who are going through the same thing because there really is NOTHING online. I do feel as if there needs to a lot more research on MDMA seeing as it is so widely used especially by the youth today. There is a lot we don't know about this drug and what it could affect, I have decided never to use it again as I would never want to risk this happening to me again. It was a good phase of my life. I enjoyed it extensively, Enjoyed several music festivals but its just not worth risking my well being for. It is by far the best feeling I ever had. But ever since this happened to me I will no longer condone its use to any of my friends or anyone in general.
Im not saying what happened to me will happen to everyone else but eventually something will unless you are doing it once or twice a year. But that is REALLY hard and I think a lot of people don't fully understand that. Molly isn't physically addictive and you don't need it everyday or anything like that, but its addictive in the sense that when you go out you want to do it. Drinking doesn't cut it anymore. At least that is what I have experienced and seen others experience around me.

Do not quote me as I am not a medical professional. I am just sharing my experience.

Feel free to ask me any questions as there is ALOT I left out just because Im not trying to write a novel on here. 8(

Yes!!!!

Of course I hadn't thought of it because I had done so much research on it in the past, digestive/stomach issues never came up under long term use systems.
We all know that molly makes us poop on the come up but I never linked the two until I read that although serotonins purpose is to make you feel "good" it also controls your digestive system.
Our intestines are our "second brain". Serotonin is what keeps them going. Just as it helps us sleep and regulates our hunger.

The stomach is our "second brain", and serotonin is a direct link between your brain and your gut. ANYTHING that causes a change to serotonin in our brain will simultaneously cause a change to the serotonin in our stomach as our body tries to keep it's balance through homeostasis (another use of serotonin)

I wrote a rather detailed thread on the subject, but no one else around here seemed to be interested enough to try and help me refine my ideas :(

There isn't much about it just because I don't think it affects a lot of people but for the few of which it does such as myself, need to know these are possible risk factors and long term side effects. I would've never known it was due to lack of serotonin in my brain if I had not looked so into depth with what was happening to me. I did go to a doctor at one point and got prescribed antibiotics which did nothing. When it comes to drugs and health issues, self diagnosis/medication seems the only way to really help yourself.

When it comes to drugs and health issues, self diagnosis/medication seems the only way to really help yourself.

That is of course, if you get it right lol....

This kind of thing actually does effect a lot of people though, it's basically the reason why some people get nauseous every time they take MDMA, the offset of serotonin in their brain is causing their stomach to react in a similar manner.

I've also suffered some stomach damage from MDMA, but it feels more like a mild ulcer than anything... probably from all those nights of taking 4-6 pills on an empty stomach :(

Yes!!!!

The stomach is our "second brain", and serotonin is a direct link between your brain and your gut. ANYTHING that causes a change to serotonin in our brain will simultaneously cause a change to the serotonin in our stomach as our body tries to keep it's balance through homeostasis (another use of serotonin)

I wrote a rather detailed thread on the subject, but no one else around here seemed to be interested enough to try and help me refine my ideas :(

It was a very interesting thread and it seems to have slipped out of sight. I was definitely interested, but felt that there was not much I could contribute in terms of knowledge or expertise.
Perhaps it could be made into a sticky or posted elsewhere in a more specialized area of the forum.
:D

Unfortunately, it was closed because SOME people couldn't get over the fact that I said there was a difference between snorting and bombing MDMA... even though a mod eventually agreed there had to be a difference between the two

Yes!!!!

i was actually really intrigued when i read your post on this before but i stayed out of that thread too when the fighting started...

i agree that there is definitely a connection between the GI tract and MDMA.. my personal experience is after rolling (usually on the come down) i get a wierd hungry feeling instead of the unusal inability to eat that most other people get... i would sit around all night eating cereal out of the box trying to make it go away... most recently i found personally that eating a couple bites of ice cream makes it go right away... have no idea why..

of course there are some big hurdles to overcome to attempt to look more into this phenomenon, more specifically everyones subjective experience seems to give us a number of different effects... right now its as if to say "well we know MDMA affects the GI tract but it seems to do it all sorts of crazy ways..."

The link between serotonin and the gut is very mysterious and extremely bizarre. I wish I had caught your thread Folley, because it's something I'm very interested in as well. Yes, the gut has a huge influence over our serotonin, there is more serotonin in our gut than our brain. It literally lines the inside of our intestines. The reason you would experience stomach issues may sound simple enough: as you disrupt the serotonin in your brain, you do the same thing in you gut, therefor digestive issues. In reality this interaction is very complex, I'm still trying to educate myself on the details now. But yeah, your question has pretty much been answered already.

I have stomach problems too but mine is a longterm effect caused by an overdose...

I'm not saying this to scare you but just wanted to make you aware it is a risky drug and with me I had an overdose to a combo of ecstacy and amphetamines and it caused me to burn up severely with hyperthermia and pass out under the cold shower waiting for the paramedics. I woke up in hospital where they put me in an ice bath but it was already too late as the extreme heat damaged my brain and Autonomic Nervous System and left me disabled with a condition known as Dysautonomia. For the past 12 years I have been constantly overheating with fevers and i can't go out into the sun or warm places without wearing a cooling vest. I spend most of my time indoors in front of a cooling system and the damaged Autonomic nervous System also comes with a list of symptoms where all your bodies automatic functions are tottaly fucked.

I have problems with digestion, heart rate, blood pressure, breathing, I can no longer sweat, problems with sexual function. As soon as I move or stand up the postural changes induce severe tachycardia and ocassionally fainting. The condition has also left me with severe hypersensitivity to all substances that stimulate or depress The autonomic Nervous System so I can no longer take stimulants, sedatives, alcohol, depressant, opiates without experiencing severe adverse reactions and disruptions to my vitals. My overdose totally ruined my life. If I could go back I would have used it in lower doses and a lot less frequently like a few times a year because now I tottaly fried my brain and I will never have the chance to enjoy ecstacy again, unless I want to suicide.

Well I always plug.
I started by snorting, but that really did my nose in.
Later I bombed but my partner hated what that did to her stomach.
Now we plug. The come up is faster and so far we've had no bad side effects.

Last edited:
Ive been having the same thing for the last month, and its been horrible. thank you so much for this post, Im gonna take a 5htp today and hope it gets better. This thought never crossed my mind that my mdma use was affecting my stomach. how has ur stomach been since this?

i have learned that unless i wait until at least 3 hours after my last meal before bombing then i will either vomit, or feel really really sick, in a way the feeling sick is worse, and least if you hurl you feel better, another bit of trivia too, from my experience it also effects the other end of the digestive system if you get me, so make sure you get done what needs to be done before you go out, because a massive rave with cubicles that dont lock, and are missing the toilet seat itself, is NOT the best place to be when you suddenly need, and i mean NEED to go for a shit, like asap, thank god there was toilet paper!

I used to indulge in a lot of MDMA use a few years back, I slowly developed GERD and head pressures that have never gone away.

Anyone know something that could repair this shit? I've tried 5 htp but heard that its toxic as hell.

I registered just to reply to this topic.

I first began using MDMA on Halloween and have used it about 4 times since then. I didn't connect the two but I've had bowel issues since shortly after starting, and it's got really bad since the last time I used it last Saturday. These are typical IBS symptoms.

Furthermore after every time I've rolled I've gotten sore throats, the last time to the point of being unable to swallow due to what seemed like a lump deeper down (not tonsils). I'm not sure whether this is some kind of acid reflux issue or lowered immune system causing infection.

I'm gonna stop rolling for the foreseeable future, get some 5htp and try and eat well, and see if I get better.

I've always been somewhat sickly and there's a history of bowel problems and auto-immune issues in my family. I have a feeling the MDMA may have kickstarted it all.

Found these over the past few days while searching ...

Immune System:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15056370
http://www.theguardian.com/science/2005/sep/08/drugs.research

Also registered just to reply to this thread.

I used extacy between 1998 - 1999 during a phase where I was going to raves. Maybe once a month parties dosing 1 tablet of E. My very last party was a party on New Years 1999 (yes they played Prince). I remember distinctly throwing up shortly after dosing ... I decided I guess my body is saying no more, and I quit ex for good.

In 2001 I started getting bad acid reflux and stomach bloating as described by OP. Endoscopy showed I had ulcers and they put me on pump inhibitor drug while got rid of the ulcers but acid reflux has stayed for years as has bloating issues. So I've suffered from chronic GERD for years now which I believe caused me to develop anxiety issues.

A week ago I went on Escitalopram after years of resisting anti anxiety medication. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escitalopram#Anxiety_disorder

Doc says anxiety may be causing the acid reflux. Researching the anxiety drug prescribed (also known as Lexapro), it appears it does something with regulating Seratonin levels. And when I first took it last week it reminded me vaguely of how E felt minus the euphoria. This got me digging deeper when it occurred to me, hmm, I wonder if my extacy use way back in the day screwed up my stomach due to messing up seratonin balance. Then I found this thread while googling it.

Anyways hope this helps somebody else and also serves as word of warning. The parties were great back in the day but this chronic condition totally not worth it if extacy was indeed the initial cause.

edit: to be fair I've done myself zero favours by continuing to smoke cigarettes (just quit), drinking coffee, and red wine fairly often for the last 18 years. So for sure the acid reflux issues even if caused initially by the E, was made worse by lifestyle choices. Still I do wonder if seratonin imbalance is tied into why my acid reflux and anxiety have never gone away.

Last edited:
Most of the serotonin in the body is in the gut. I think I read that the figure is 9 tenths of all our serotonin is in our gut.
Clinicians are now realizing that having a "gut feeling" or not having the stomach for something might be more significant than was thought in the past.

Alright so I joined this forum specifically to share what happened to me as I feel there was little to no information about this on the web.

Thank you, mate! I was missing the bit where serotonine is physically inside the guts as well as the brains.

Nonetheless, I must say that my last consumption sort of rectified the effects of my previous, two-moths-earlier consumption of pills and coke at the same time. It is related to digestion: the first thing I realised (or remembered) was the smell, that I hadn't felt since. Everything else is the same, but I'll try with 5-HTP just to make sure.

Hello, I am going to drop additional experience with MDMA. I ve also had an overdose that was rather accumulated over 3 days, consumed in total around 1000mg. It was rather a mild overdose with the only instant effect of a fainting followed by sever panick attack. In the following months I have developed a headache/migraine that has improved over time by some extent. Following more than a year I also started developing digestive issues like bloating, reflux, fairly bad pains in stomach and lower intestines, and bile issues as it seems like. Following the overdose I still kept using but I have reduced significantly the dosage to almost the minumum required and also spaced out the trips on 6 months. My digestive system seem to get worse and I feel like I the big blow set the rolling stone which gets to be the avalanche.

I used to indulge in a lot of MDMA use a few years back, I slowly developed GERD and head pressures that have never gone away.

Anyone know something that could repair this shit? I've tried 5 htp but heard that its toxic as hell.

Don't know if you're still around, guy, but 5HTP isn't toxic, you just can't take it every day.

Lol who the hell told you that. Ever so any of your own research?

Funny how this thread goes...massive abuse of ecstasy leads to unwanted problems/side effects. Who knew?