• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Recrystallising MDMA resulting in pink colouration.

Transform

Bluelight Crew
I had some nice grey crystal MDMA which I dissolved in heated acetone, chilled and filtered out to give a total of 88% recovery of fine white powder.

I had some spare time and fancied mucking about so I dissolved this in methanol, removed a few bits of fluff and crap and left it to evaporate in a clingfilm-lined bowl.

Over the next couple of hours it gradually became a strong pink colour which was not at all present before.

Can anyone shed some light on this? I could understand if it was brown or something, but pink? It was not in direct sunlight and the clingfilm seems unchanged.

I can't offer much help, but perhaps this is where the (in)famous pink amphetamines originated? I always assumed people where just adding food colouring to try an imitate a partiucular brand from times gone by.

Don't suppose you have any Mamp handy that you could recrystalise?

Oh, just thought you may want to check the purity of the Methanol too. I have some cheap acetone that leaves behind a yellow film when it evapourates. I turns my recrystalised cannabinoids yellow... I'm not sure whether to trust it or not. All I know is i'm not dead yet and I've consumed many yellow drugs in my time.

I might think twice about salmon coloured drugs though.

Evaporate some of your solvent and make sure it leaves no residue. Also, why are you covering a dish of solvent with clingwrap if you want it to evaporate?

There could some plasticizer in the cling film to make it soft and bendable. Like phthalates and things like that. It would be leeched into the methanol and perhaps react in some way. Not a good idea to evaporate IN the cling film.

As it dries it's going a black/purple colour around the edges of the crystals - most are still really very clear without a hint of colour inside.

I thought it must be the plasticiser at first but the clingfilm is so flexible, and why pink?. I'm soaking some in methanol alone now.

Try soaking some clingfilm in MeOH, then evap the MeOH in some clean glassware. If there is pink residue, there is your answer. Also just strip some MeOH to dryness and check for same residue. It helps to hold the evap dish over white paper to see the color.

After a good 12 hour soak in methanol it's still as clear as anything. I've opened it up now, let's see if oxygen complicates things.

The crystals weren't really cleaned by acetone, so I took the worst and rinsed the edges in methanol. Redissolving gave a much less pink soln. than before.

Do a Proper A/B wash on it with gassing in acetone with HCL for final step.

Still no pink in the methanol without MDMA.

It's not worth the effort and product loss to process further really. it was just something I fancied doing to kill time. I do have some nice pure crystals, they're just a bit purple around the edges.