• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin Heroin The Beginner's Guide

I appreciate your kindness, but my questions aren't answered.

I specifically need to know a good, strong, but safe dose. At the very least answer me that?

Dosage varies from person to person, as well as the purity of the drug and what it's cut with.

I would suggest to start by sniffing half of a bag (if it's in powder form) to gauge the potency of it by how it makes you feel. When you find out how high you get from snorting THAT PARTICULAR BATCH, take about 40%-50% of that for your IV dose. You always want to test a batch first by snorting to see how strong it is before you IV.

You want to take a little less than half of your intranasal dose (I suggest about 30mg) since the BA of IV is about 2x higher than intranasal, and since the drug hits you all at once via IV the peak would be higher than if you sniffed 2x that amount. You will still get a rush from a dose that may not get you all that high, so it's better to do less and you can always add more. The high usually lasts shorter when you IV it, but at first it might be the same duration as intranasal since you are not yet used to getting that higher amount in you that fast.

Do not heat your heroin. Try to get a 'babysitter' to be with you when you do it so that if you overdose they can call for help. Other than the addition of a rush the effects are basically the same, but you won't get some of the good effects from the come-up from intranasal administration. The high will be more sedating and noddy, so don't expect to function well in social or work settings, and definitely don't drive or do anything that requires motor skills or having responsibility the rest of the day after IVing it.

good, strong, but safe dose. At the very least answer me that?

It is really, really hard to answer dosing questions for someone and could even be considered dangerous. We don't know your body, your tolerance or the quality of product you get. Hell it's hard to tell someone how much pharms to take to get high, and that is a known purity and quantity, Heroin not only varies in quantity (as in fat or short bags) but widely in purity, even from bag to bag from the same dealer. Not even considering cuts, but just simply considering the skill of the chemist and them unintentionally but undoubtedly adding impurities to their product unless they are among the best of the best. And then the cuts on top of that.

That being said, you say you snort 70-100mg for a nice high. I would find some dope that has similar dosing properties and doing less than half of that, so maybe 20 or 30mg. I guess you could do up to 50mg, but if the dope is strong to you at 100mg snorted you could be pushing into dangerous territory. The saying goes "you can always take more, but can't undo what you have already dosed" or some variant there of. This is especially true with IV use. IV enables one to put way way too much drugs into their body in an instant which can have disastrous effects (death), and it takes 10 seconds man. You push the plunger and it's done, no going back. And this is just in the physical sense, same goes for you opening up Pandora's box and I would personally advise that you do not use drugs IV. It's a whole other ball game. To sum up, use 25-50mg and 25 is the safe side, and 50 is pushing it. This is based solely on the info you have provided and nothing more. The first time I shot up I did about a 1/4 of a point and was totally blown away, although I had very minimal tolerance and I guess the stuff I get is pretty decent. And not it's at a point where I can do a 1/4 gram, and not even be blown away. IV really raises your tolerance, partially because many people turn into everyday, if not multiple times everyday users when the try the needle. I WOULD RECOMMEND YOU STICK WITH SNORTING YOUR HEROIN.

DO NOT COOK IT. Heroin and all opis are very soluble even in cold water. There are many threads with information as to why you should not heat dope and especially pills but essentially you are not increasing the amount of heroin in the shot, and if anything are degrading the product (too much heat) while adding unnecessary cuts/binders/inactive material to your shot, that would have been filtered out if you would not have heated the solution. USE COLD WATER AND STIR VIGOROUSLY.

I find the duration of the high shorter than when sniffing dope. And also different. But I think it all stems from IV use having an instant come up and essentially after a minute or two you have peaked and will not really be any higher, and from that point are only going to start coming down. Whereas snorting has a definite "coming up" period, IV use does not, it happens immediately. For me the intense, intense effects last about an hour and I'm usually quite high for up to 4 hours. I can feel the rush always withing 10 seconds, if not before I have even pushed all the liquid into the vein, and it lasts only for 20 seconds or so now, but when I first started it was much longer. After that first rush, there is about a 10 minute period of very intense bliss and euphoria where I usually just zone the fuck out in some kind of immobilized position. Depending on the dope I can still feel effects 6+ hours later. There is a fine line, even for very tolerant users between the "perfect high" and overdose so just remember that when you try and push it and get that awesome rush you have been chasing after the first time.

Again I would advise that you not trying IV drug use. Especially with heroin, and especially if you already like it a lot sniffing it. It is too damned hard not to do it everyday, for most everyone. There are exceptions, but they usually have specific if not exceptional circumstances that prevent them from being an everyday IV drug user. Most people who try shooting, will at some point have an addiction to it with some degree of seriousness to it. The cons vastly out weigh the pros when considering IV use. No lie, in the end (as in once you are a **"junkie"**) the only real pro left is the RUSH. But even it gets diminished. So much so that long time IV users have to use very large amounts just to get a very minimal rush. The cons are numerous, viruses (HIV, HEP C), bacterial infections, abscesses, scarring, the social stigma, increased tolerance, physical dependence, exhausted veins, the physical toll that being a drug addict takes on your body, and many more. I would suggest your very seriously consider the consequences of what you may do before you do it.

Hope this helped.

I believe so strongly that you should read this thread, that I'm going to merge your thread with it. Please read the first post and hopefully it can clear up some of your FAQs on heroin.

Polysomnial,
You REALY should read through this thread from the beginning. The original post was a collective effort by myself, the entire OD Team, as well as staff from other forums. There is a lot of good information here coming from people who have/had been IDU' for quite some time (as well as some who do not shoot), and there are sources to back up these claims.

As far as your question regarding a "good, strong, but safe dose.", there is no reliable answer unless you have pure, pharmaceutical grade diacetylmorphine (which you do not). In the original post I wrote a way to calculate a "safe" dose (meaning one that surely won't kill you, unless your dope is actually fentanyl or some other, stronger opioid-in which case you're just fucked in all likelihood).

One thing to know is that Diacetylmorphine (heroin) is 2-3x stronger than morphine when injected. A standard hospital dose for iv morphine is 10mg (or that's been my experience), so you'd need around only 3-5mg of heroin to achieve similar effects (though the effects of iv heroin and morphine differ slightly due to heroin breaking down into not just morphine, but 6-MAM and then 3-MAM- I read in bluelight recently that it is now thought that one of the monoacetylmorphine's, forget whether it was 3 or 6 was actually the maine metabolite responsible for heroin's euphoria where it had been thought in the fact, it was mostly just the morphine- in the end I suppose it doesn't matter to most people as they really just want to get high, so I apologize for digressing).

SO, a good way to achieve a safe dose is to have a scale for one, and it is also convenient if you use pharmaceuticals from time to time instead of heroin, as you can convert that given pharmaceutical narcotic into an equivalent IV morphine dose (this will take some simple research and math, as you'll need to find out the BA of the given Narcotic as well), and then multiply that morphine dose by 3 (to be on the safe side). Before going ahead and booting your calculated dose of heroin, do an allergy test to make sure that your dope isn't cut with some bullshit like fentanyl, so just use a toothpick, dip it into your heroin, and then rub it on your gums. If its heroin, even pure heroin, this should not get you high. If its fentanyl, you'll get pretty fucking stoned.

Now, assuming that your allergy test goes okay, I would then start off with the measured out dose of heroin that you calculated. This will pretty much assure that you will not OD assuming you havnt been taking benzo's or drinking that night, and if it's not enough you can titrate up (better to be safe than sorry).

Here is an excerpt from the original post. It shows how to calculate a safe dose of smack from someone who had been using oxycodone previously (you can just skip the oxycodone and move on to the morphine conversion if you don't use oxy):

I am thinking of switching from oxycodone to heroin due to costs or other reasons. How much heroin do I need to use?

This is a question that gets asked a lot, and from a harm reduction point of view, it's very hard to say. However, their are ways to ensure that you will not die from your first time using heroin (assuming that your dope is not cut with another super potent opiate, which is always a risk.)

• As was mentioned earlier, Heroin is 2-3x more potent than morphine. The easiest wayb to get an estimate as to how much heroin you would need (assuming that your gear is 100% pure- which it is not), is to first calculate it by converting your oral oxycodone dosage (which has a very high BA, around 80% ) and multiply it by .8.

• (This step is unnecessary if you are injecting your oxycodone, since then you would already know pretty much exactly the amount you were consuming given the 100% BA)
    Okay, so now you know that it takes 48 mg to catch a nice buzz off of oxycodone. Now the next step is to equate 48mg to an IV morphine dosage. IV morphine is approximately 2x more potent than oxycodone. Therefore, and equipotent dose would be 24mg of I.V. Morphine.
  • Now the final step.. Heroin is 2-3x stronger than morphine. To be on the safe side, we'll assume that its 3x more potent. Therefore, we'll divide the equipotent dose of morphine (24mg) by 3, which would result in 8 mg. So assuming that your heroin is pure, it would take roughly 8mg of I.V diacetylmorphine to achieve the same buzz that 60 mg of oral oxycodone would give you. However, we also must take into account the different bioavailability's of heroin, as most people are not going to be jumping straight to the needle.

[*]I.V: 100%
    [*]Insufflation: 50-70%
    [*]Inhalation: 45%

So depending on how you plan on using the heroin, you multiply the dose by the BA's %, and weigh that out on a scale.

You will almost certainly need to use more than whatever calculated dosage you are getting, but given the rare chance that you obtain some highly pure heroin, following this calculation method should keep you from overdosing, and allowing you to gauge safely how much you need to use, and how pure your heroin is.

i've done tar and close to pure powder and i'm from the bay area (west coast) and the close to pure powder maybe 80 90% just heroin was smuggled from germany and only stepped on by the assholes who shipped it and i still choose oxycodone

Heroin Sucks - How is This Possible?

I'm brand new to H and honestly not a consistent opiate user, although I have this insane natural tolerance. I end up taking about 120mg of Oxy orally to feel nice, and unfortunately this will not go any lower despite my infrequent usage.

Today, I received 500mg of BTH which was apparently of high quality. I would up vaping the entire amount (500mg), in one sitting while parked on the side of a road. I was severely disappointed, I mean I thought heroin was supposed to be good!

I had a decent rush off the half gram vaped, but I mean it was really nothing special :( Seriously, I vaped all of the half gram in a sitting and got less of a rush than I do off of sniffing 100mg of Oxy. I know I didn't chase it absolutely perfectly but since I've done it before with other drugs, I knew I didn't waste very much. All of that anticipation for nothing! I'm heading to the damn needle next time because I need to know what H is all about. Fuck my life.

What the hell? ??

Leave the needle alone, man, it's nothing but trouble. You don't want to throw your life away, or maybe you do?

IV Heroin usage destroys your life at an exponential rate, at least stick to smoking it for now, and look for a better source as a whole half gram of BTH should have been more than enough to get you REALLY high with your tolerance. Maybe your chasing technique is atrocious, and you waste a lot of the smoke chasing the dragon?

Try buying a pookie (oil burner, meth pipe), and vaping your BTH in there, it should be much easier and a lot less wasteful.

Have you considered that your "fire" h was actually cut to fuck garbage?

^Yea forreal man. Once you shoot up, you marry that shit. Its the devil. Ive lost friends because of that. You'll end up hurting everyone who loves you.

^ This. Try finding a better source.

Well, my vaping technique is fine, I waste very little smoke even it it's not perfect. The source, well I can continue to do more research to find out just how potent it truly is.

WOW!!!! I completely forgot about the opiate potentiators! and I will go to my headshop and purchase those products! Thank you! I don't want to start dating the needle because she's a clingy emotional bitch that tricks you into making the relationship more and more serious.

Honestly if it doesn't even meet up with ur highs from other lower potency opiates, u likely got bunk product and should punch your dealer in the face.

Edit: lol sorry forgot I posted pretty much the same reply a day ago.

Last edited:
Smoking it does not work that well IMO.... You are better off eating it or breaking and snorting/water lining (if it is a salt that is not dry and powdered dissolving in water to put up the nose or with some citric acid to dissolve it if it does not dissolve probably meaning it is not the salt form or else just garbage.) Injecting it will be a rush, but it is a different feeling as it does not get broken down to pass the BBB and reaches the brain as heroin vs morphine when ingested another method.

Edit: People do have a point that it probably was cut to fuck (maybe just even bunk fake stuff). Always start new batches low to test it. Also do not dissolve all of it quickly as you will end up with a morphine solution as heroin degrades back into morphine in water.

Last edited:
No need for citric in the United States. I agree that waterlining would probably work better than inhalation, but honestly if you have good skills with the foil, inhalation is a solid ROA, though not very good for your lungs I'm sure. When making solution for nasal use, I highly recommend using saline instead of normal water, which is irritating to the epithelial membranes in your nose.

yeah i had this same problem recently. went through a gram of skag base IV in about ten hours and felt solidly ripped off.