• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Areca Catechu ( 'Betel Nut') extract; possibly non-carcinogenic when snorted?

DextromethorFan

Greenlighter
The Areca Catechu (ARC) palm renders so-called 'betel nuts' -- fruits that contain seeds -- which have psychoactive alkaloids (at least 9 structurally related pyridine alkaloids including: arecoline, arecaidine, arecaine, arecolidine, guvacine, isoguvacine, guvacoline, and coniine). Peoples have been using the known carcinogen for years. The seed is chewed with CaOH to convert the alkaloids within to freebase for improved sub-lingual absorption.

A study shows that:
Tumour induction in any tissues was not observed when ARC or areca-nut extract was administered through the IP route [1,17]. Therefore, it seems that metabolic activation of ARC is needed for the final conversion into the ultimate carcinogens...
http://dspace.nehu.ac.in/bitstream/1/3546/1/720.pdf

From that, could one say that the ARC seed alkaloids could undergo acid/base extraction and then insufflated to bypass digestive enzymes from converting the ARC seed material into carcinogens?

. The present data indicate that both
IP [administration] and [oral admin] of ARC significantly induced CAs, SCEs
and a delay in cell cycle kinetics in mouse BMC;
however, the extent of induction was more in 5 and
15 days of the [orally administered] treated sample.

I think no matter what ROA you choose, arecoline is genotoxic nonetheless.

I wouldn't be too worried about the carcinogenic potential of betel nuts unless you are a frequent user. Like if you smoke ciggs daily vs once a week...big difference in statistical probability of cancer.

That being said...

A study in hamsters demonstrated a significant rate of buccal malignancies with betel nut extract applied to the oral mucosa 3 time per week (tiw) for several weeks. Cancerous tumors were only evident after 10-12 weeks of tiw administration. That being said, the rate of tumorigenesis was disturbingly high. At 16-18 weeks, 38% of the hamster population exhibited tumors.

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v230/n5293/full/230383a0.html

Last edited:
The very same paper you just posted...

If it's really metabolites that are carcinogenic, any compound in the blood will still undergo metabolism in the liver etc. Oral administration will merely raise the levels much higher.

Either way I do not see anyone injecting arecoline as a long-term solution to this drug's faults. Perhaps synthetic chemistry might be of use. Or nicotine.

The very same paper you just posted...

If it's really metabolites that are carcinogenic, any compound in the blood will still undergo metabolism in the liver etc. Oral administration will merely raise the levels much higher.

Either way I do not see anyone injecting arecoline as a long-term solution to this drug's faults. Perhaps synthetic chemistry might be of use. Or nicotine.

guess i should have read moree. the data conflicts itself though. not sure.. i thought by insufflation one could bypass salivary enzyme changes that make ARC mutagenic