• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

New combo L-Glutamine+ L-Theanine+ a benzo= good

Herbal~Jah

Ex-Bluelighter
I have been supplementing this past month with certain supplements to help me with getting off of subs. I found that when I take xanax with like 200-400mg (Suntheanine) L-Theanine + 1,000mgs L-Glutamine and usally there's a vitamin b-6 supplement thrown in for the L-Tyrosine I also take.... Anyways I was researching and it seems as if L-Glutamine and the L-Theanine act in a good synergetic way with the benzodizapine. I theorize this b/c I know L-Glutamine does something with GABA and L-Theanine seems to increase the overall level of the brain inhibitory transmitter GABA. And we all know benzo's like Xanax work on the GABA-a Receptors. so maybe taking your benzo dose while supplementing with L-glutamine and l-theanine may enhance a benzodizapine as your brain should have tons of GABA and what not due to the supplements, and sense benzos work by increasing the effect of the neurotransmitter GABA (gamma-aminobutyric acid) at the GABA-a receptor...I dunno....i am just learning this stuff....But from personal experiences I can tell you that I notice a difference in a good more 'clean' way, its hard to explain, could be placebo, but I guess I was just wondering what you guys think?

Last edited:
There has been too much discussion of Theanine recently... it's not a fucking miracle drug and mixing 2 amino acids is not a substitute for benzodiazepines.

Research suggests that theanine does produce anxiolysis, but not through a GABA mediated mechanism.

Anxiolytic effects of L-theanine--a component of green tea--when combined with midazolam, in the male Sprague-Dawley rat.
Heese T, Jenkinson J, Love C, Milam R, Perkins L, Adams C, McCall S, Ceremuga TE.
AANA J. 2009 Dec;77(6):445-9.
Fifty-five rats were divided into 5 groups: control (saline); L-theanine (positive control); flumazenil (a known benzodiazepine receptor antagonist) and L-theanine; and midazolam and L-theanine. [...] The data suggest that L-theanine does not produce anxiolysis by modulation of the GABAA receptor; however, in combination with midazolam, a synergistic or additive effect was demonstrated by decreased anxiety and both fine and basic motor movements.

Neither 1mg alprazolam nor 200mg L-theanine was found to be effective for a human model of anticipatory anxiety. [ref]

Glutamine does not show anxiolytic effects when administered orally. If it did I expect every time you ate a steak you would feel super relaxed.

I take L-glutamine regularly in high doses, I have not noticed increased effects when under the influence of xanax or valium. Anything you're feeling is likely Theanine.

Glutamine does not show anxiolytic effects when administered orally. If it did I expect every time you ate a steak you would feel super relaxed.

Well who doesn't feel super relaxed and sedated after eating a big steak? ;)

interesting to see this, odd coincidence, I take 3mg/day clonazepam(I am dependent) and yesterday I had 2grams of l-glutamine in a strong green tea(first time using green tea in a while, but I know I had avoided it because the caffeine would be too much for my semi-tapering dose, made me feel too anxious/jittery); The effects were rather recreational, lots of energy, but so much calm sedation which slowly increased.

I wasn't even tired and I ended up falling asleep shortly after... ~30-50minutes(obviously caffeine lasts longer than this, and probably could NEVER have slept then if I had taken pure caffeine, which btw is really cheap and useful). hahah and I woke up around ~2 hours later. (not entirely sure on the times, considering I wasn't expecting anything special).

Just wanted to say there might be something to this combination, and he never said to replace benzos, but in combination WITH them. : P silly.

Last edited:
Sounds psychosomatic.

I've have zero benzo tolerance, although years of experience using many different assorted kinds, started suntheanine (@400mg daily) 4 days ago, happened across some alprazolam and clonazepam, and did not notice anything different in the effects which I received from them than usual. If anything, the suntheanine kept me from fully blacking out. I'm also on an assorted racetam mix daily, that I am very much used to by now, and had previously dosed quite a bit of alprazolam and etizolam 3 weeks prior for a few days.

Interesting to note though, the anxiolitic effects of the alprazolam and clonazepam lasted well into the next day, not leaving me with a "drugged"/"high" feeling mind you, but was more more so calm than usual, the day following a binge on benzos.

Noob here, so take what I saw write with not even a grain of salt. :\
--I can't even speak about l-glutamine, as I'm only just now starting to read about it.

EDIT - I've been clean off everything, including racetams and even high doses of b-12 for over 72 hours now. I dosed etizolam yesterday, and got the same results as always. I'm going to give l-theanine + etiz a try today. I waited 24 hours. I should be waiting at least 48, but I'm still in a pretty general compulsive mode of action, since I have a benzo stash. 24 hours is a very solid long wait for me to redose compared to my regime for the last 2 years. I'll give a 48 and 72 hour wash out period after this trial.

Last edited: