• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

The "magic" of MDMA

I'm sorry but your pharmacological understanding is woefully lacking. MDMA exerts the majority of its effects by releasing/preventing the reuptake of Serotonin, Dopamine and Norepinephrine. Its less pronounced effect is to agonise 5HT1-x receptors. It also has non-relevant activity at several other receptor types.

5-HT receptors are not implicated in hallucination. D2/anticholinergic system are the relevant ones here.

I'm sorry but I was pointing out to high doses. So the 5-HT receptors haven't got anything to do with the typical MDMA hallucinations?

Wanted to add some data:
knowing what 5ht1a agonism feels like for the most part(much experience with dpt and lsd and along with 5-meo-dmt I'm almost certain I know what 5ht-1a in general feels like, to simplify how it feels a lot while still giving an idea: meditative/timeless feeling, interesting kind of relaxed euphoria with paradoxical rough edges to it, contentedness), I decided to add 5-meo-dmt(~5mg or something sniffed, THIS HURTS NOSE.) to methylone and I'm guessing because of the excess dopamine and serotonin, 5-meo-dmt's 5-ht1a added only calm meditative euphoria rather than being so jolting(yet if I relax on only a low dose of vaporized 5-meo-dmt it is extremely euphoric too). It's a different euphoria than adding mostly 5ht2a agonists, at least from my non-scientific subjective tests.

Anyway I also think that besides 5ht1a and 5ht2a being part of the magic, strong norepinephrine release with low reuptake I also believe is part of the magic feeling. This is also simply gathered from the chemicals I've tried and their actions and subjective feel. For example 4-fa, has much more of a magic feeling to me than methylone and it has high NE/NA release and low reuptake inhibition(I believe MDMA does too, but you'll have to check.. compare to amphetamine or such). Almost positive the excess NE w/o excess reuptake inhibition must contribute a lot to the state where one feels the magic the most.

Wanted to add some data:
knowing what 5ht1a agonism feels like for the most part(much experience with dpt and lsd and along with 5-meo-dmt I'm almost certain I know what 5ht-1a in general feels like, to simplify how it feels a lot while still giving an idea: meditative/timeless feeling, interesting kind of relaxed euphoria with paradoxical rough edges to it, contentedness)

I just want to caution you against concluding that you know what 5HT1a agonism feels like based on the drugs you listed. All of those have both 1a and 2a activity, and in many parts of the brain 2a activity affects 1a activity and vice versa, so it's almost impossible to disentangle the effects and say what feeling came from what receptor. Unless someone has tested a "pure" 1a agonist I don't think any of us can say what 1a agonism feels like.