• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Methadone Question

MONE

Greenlighter
I have a question, I currently take 75 mg down from 90 and have for a year and a half. I have a surplus of unused methadone in my fridge, I am wondering if on days I feel like I need to get a buzz...
If I am at a stable does of say 75 for a while, is there any way i can take an extra 30mg to get a buzz and relaxation or if i took 30 in the middle of the day? (I take it in the morning) im on it due to a heroin / Oxi addiction, i havent used in a year andf a half but im needing some relax, pot does not work, is there any way i can use my extra methadone to get a slight high if i up the dose or take some extra throught the day????
Thanks!

I would try to not start messing with your methadone and just take it as prescribed. What is the point in tapering down your dose otherwise? Anyway, it's very hard to get much of a buzz off methadone when you are on long-term maintenance. Also, how long has that stuff been in your fridge? It does go bad you know, it starts to ferment after a while.

A month perhaps. http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Can_methadone_get_you_high ... And I cant give you the exact reason. I have been clean a long time and have stuck to my routine schedule to the t. minus tapering a little faster and I have been fine with it. The reason I'm wondering if i take an heavy dose now and then if it will in fact give me a buzz. I am not looking to get bombed, just a day here and there with a little extra relaxation, perhaps.

You shouldn't be trying to get a buzz if you are in the process of trying to get off opioids or even maintaining yourself. You are more likely to relapse. Also even if you increase your dose a decent amount the high isn't going to be much. I take 30mg a day, and I only get a buzz if I double my dose (60-80mgs). Once you been on methadone a while its hard to get high off it. It really isn't that worth while when you got on methadone for a reason and leads you back into bad habits. Think about how a large amount of people get addicted to opioids, they want to relax and feel good, so they take large doses of opioids, and there doses increase over time. they keep upping it till they are stuck in the habit, which forces them to carry on to avoid getting sick. Now if you start using your methadone occasionally to get a buzz, your more likely to start doing this more often or go back to other opioids so you can get high. You will also make your daily doses less effective as well, making you a little less comfertable at the daily dose.

A month perhaps. http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Can_methadone_get_you_high ... And I cant give you the exact reason. I have been clean a long time and have stuck to my routine schedule to the t. minus tapering a little faster and I have been fine with it. The reason I'm wondering if i take an heavy dose now and then if it will in fact give me a buzz. I am not looking to get bombed, just a day here and there with a little extra relaxation, perhaps.

Methadone should only be kept in the fridge for up to 2 weeks, or less, depending on what it is mixed with (if it's Tang or something similar and it's been kept in clean conditions and properly refrigerated the whole time then it should be ok for up to 2 weeks).

I agree with everything Cloudy said. It will be hard to get high off it and it will raise your tolerance, making it more difficult to go back to your usual dose of methadone. If you need support The Dark Side forum is a great place for recovering addicts. Taking extra methadone will probably just increase the sedation and could possibly be dangerous. Why not try some safer, healthier methods for that relaxation or stress relief you're after? Like supplements (check out the ones meant for decreasing anxiety, promoting sleep, decreasing depression, etc - I can give you a list if you want), yoga, meditation, doing things you enjoy, going for a walk in nature, etc.

ETA: Also that link on Wiki Answers is not entirely accurate by the way. For example, it's not that easy to get high off methadone when you're on long-term MMT, and taking extra methadone does not give you tons of energy, if anything the opposite.

Last edited:
Now if you do choose to take a higher dose, limit the amount of times you do it, or you tolerance will noticably increase which you don't want. Also it is really hard to say how much more methadone you will need to catch a buzz, and honestly anyone giving a number could put you in danger. You should titrate your dose up till you find a dose you like, but like i said this can cause your tolerance to increase if you are increasing your dose day after day to find it.

I understand, and appreciate, where you are coming from about not messing with my taper. BUT. Like I said I used oxi and heroin heavily for 2 years, once I was put on methadone and went into a ten day in hospital stay, where they removed an infection from my arm sergical, I have never used once. I was on a stable dose, working, and very productive the entire duration. When I started tapering I was given the option to drop once every month or two weeks, I filled for a month but dropped every 2 weeks, where leftover built up, and its not the same stock in the fridge its replenished with the leftover from my carries. The taper is going excellent. I know how to tell when I am not on the proper dose from being on it for 2 years. And after I take a heavy dose (less than once a week) i continue on as normal and still drop, I have only taken 20 extra, on my day off, i still work and attend school, and then continue to taper no issue. I have heard from other people you have to double your dose to get an effect. Im not reckless and would not sabotage my recovery. Just looking for that once a week relaxation I have read of others using. I appreciate the concern though none the less. I don't feel comfortable doubling a dose. but thats what i have read it takes to get any feeling from the methadone. As far as it going bad. I have researched that as well and have not found anything other than saying it does not go bad at any point, other than the tang getting old and stale. keep in mind its not the same methadone its topped off every 2 weeks. If anyone has a link to somewhere that seems official stating either it does or doesnt, i would appreciate that as you cannot believe everything you read on the internet and just because I cannot find anywhere that says methadone expires and that it stays good for up to a year, I do not take that as proof its true. Where are you getting your information from??

Best wishes, and thank you for the responses!

Without sounding like an asshole I subscribed to this forum because I found numerous posts of people trying get fuck around and get high, and discussing the ins and outs. Im not looking for a support group, and I know my actions are not the correct ones but it is what it is.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't judge you, I just personally think when it comes to methadone it's not worth it.

I got the info about how long it takes for methadone to go bad from the manufacturer. But honestly, even if it has gone bad it shouldn't kill you or anything. The problem is mostly that it starts to ferment or can grow mould, which isn't good to be drinking, and the methadone seems maybe a little bit weaker in my experience. I had a friend who kept it in the freezer and it kept longer that way (although I have no idea whether freezing methadone degrades it in any way).

As for how much to take, I think it really depends and better too little than too much right? I really don't think there's that much of a "high" even when people do take extra though, especially in comparison to heroin etc.

Of course you can take more to get a little buzz. Methadone is such a fickle mistress though. Once you get to a certain point, you can kiss getting buzzed or euphoric bye bye. I'm currently at 80mg, and I've tried to increase my dose here and there on certain days, and I just cannot achieve euphoria. I only end up getting drowsy and taking a nap; no euphoria. I know something you could do with all that extra methadone, but I'm not gonna suggest it on here. You gotta respect the Bluelight

There are a few problems with trying to give advice on how much methadone to take to get high, for one like a lot of people have expressed, they can't or have a hard time getting a reasonable high off it, two there is a really weird cross tolerance/conversion from other opioids to methadone (making giving a number/range difficult), three methadone can be rather easy to OD on (there are high rates of ODs with methadone even with legitimate patients receiving it). I have gotten really solid high off methadone in the past, but unfortunately can not anymore (I only get a buzz everytime I dose). I used to be able to take 40-60mgs and get a solid 12-16 hour high that I would be able to nod for 10-12 hours of it. However after using methadone over 2-3 day peroids multiple times, and pushing the doses above 70mgs the high went away. I used to find the high to be better than h, oxycodone, etc (out of the 11 different opioids I've tried methadone was tied for first with oxymorphone). Now it is just a decent buzz and a wonderful medication. When I could get high from 40-60mgs of methadone, I would be able to get a really solid high from oxycodone at doses 90-120mgs, and oxymorphone nasal at doses 18-23mgs. Now I can take 120+mg of methadone and still only get a solid buzz even though I only take 30-40mgs of methadone a day.

One thing that needs to be noted is there isn't a good standard equivalence with other opioids like I said. Generally when trying to convert doses from other opioids to methadone you need to convert it first to morphine, then from morphine to methadone with 30mg of oral morphine = 10mg of methadone, then apply a 25-50% reduction of the converted methadone number. So if you take 30mg of morphine, the conversion would result in 5-7.5mg of methadone. Like I said, methadone has a really weird cross tolerance, so you have to be careful.

Feel free to try and get high, but people can not tell you what dose you should take because we do not know. It is a lot more complicated that trying to tell someone how much oxycodone to take to get high. Its not that we are trying to be jerks because I don't think anyone is. No one wants to be responsible for you taking to much.

I'm sure you could easily take 20mg more with out any problems maybe even 30mg more (95-110mg) being as you've taken 90 mgs for a while. I still rather not tell you to take xxx amount of methadone to get high. You gotta figure that out yourself as your body is the only one who can show you how it will react to xxx amount.

The one OTHER thing is since methadone and a run of serequel, i have gained about 50 lbs, its crazy how much shit you have to take to get clean, rather than just trading in for legal long term substances, i have read weight gain is an effect of serequel almost everywhere. I recently stopped taking it and am able to wake up in the morning opposed to not being able to get out of bed until 1 pm. Im hoping the weight comes off, I have a good diet and am physically active, yet when I was on the serequel NOTHING shed the weight, Ive been off for a couple weeks and am hoping over time I get back to my normal size.

I REALLY appreciate everyones input, I know the other addict version of me is simply looking for a state of high I can no longer get with the meds i am on, My number one goal is to get clean. I cant help the part of me that wants to just get lost in mylself. As far as the yoga when I do the gym etc it is a great feeling at the time, then i get home and my brain says "good work, time for a treat" which I was trying to find.

Haha @ Keif, something tells me I should know what "I know something you could do with all that extra methadone, but I'm not gonna suggest it on here. You gotta respect the Bluelight " that means, unfortunately I don't. Thanks for the input since you are in the same situation

The few times I have upped the dose, I havent done it by much, and you are correct I did just get sleepy and such, which IS what I was pretty much looking for in a way. When I have done it, i have raised anxiety about messing up my current stable dose, luckily for me i havent had any issues. My posts may make me seem reckless but I am not and do take my treatment seriously, its just something I cant control at the moment. Im confident I will one day stop looking at pills as second nature.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't bother. You're at. Blocking dose as it is, and taking more methadone will not give you euphoria when you've been at 75mg for a long time, no matter how much more you take. You will be putting yourself at a high risk for overdose. IME, only when you're at dosages up that don't block, can you achieve a solid buzz off taking extra methadone, and it's still playing with fire, plus at that point you might as well use a less dangerous, More recreational short acting opiate instead, as it won't mess with your tolerance as much (IME, it can take as little as two days of taking extra Methadone to increase your tolerance to a point where you no longer feel stabalized on your prescribed dose)

Methadone blocks because it raises your tolerance to a point where your opiate receptors are saturated. You lose the ability to achieve euphoria from opiates, but as it is a full agonist, you still get all the crappy side effects from opiates, resperitory depression, increased tolerance, etc. I've heard some people managing to "break through" huge meth dosages (100mg +), using very dangerous opioids (I believe they were fentanyl analogues)-even then I am skepticle. When I was younger, and on my first round of MMT at 105mg/day, I doubled my dose on the weekend to try and catch a buzz (that's 210mg of methadone-incredibly dangerous). I did not feel euphoric at all. In fact, if anything I felt the opposite, I was sedated to the point where I was passing out standing up, drooling on myself, and overall to fucked up to even worry that I had a very good chance of dying.

Also, just to add as a disclaimer, I don't want someone to read this and think "oh, he survived taking 210mg of meth, I can too!". I've overdosed off of lower dosages, and I'm lucky to be alive.

Continue your taper, you'll probably find the effects of a lower dose of methadone to be more euphoric anyway.

i've found that wheen i double my rx'ed dose, i usually take half my rx dose daily, i get a high, but its a really sucky high.. and if i dose over double my r dose, its actiually dysphoric... i know where you're coming from.. but if you're looking for a little extra relaxation, not that its a good idea but better than messing with your methadone just pop a benzo

It does more harm to your body and psyche in the days following (fighting to re-adjust) than what you think the one time reward may be worth.

poor guy

poor guy asked a simple question (if on x methadone for y days what is z amount of methadone it would require to get high.) he did not ask if it was bad for him or if it would cause a relapse. this information is already known to anyone who possesses the slightest bit of common sense. would someone give him a reliable answer so he doesn't try to figure it out himself and kill himself?

i have doubled it to get a small buz and relaxation and trippled it to get a decent buzz. depending on your weight i do not suggest trippling as i am nearly 300 lbs. the one variable you forgot to give us to factor in was your weight, it would also be helpful to know if you had a huge tolerance to opiates before your treatment or if you were an easy bake oven

i know this is an old post but i believe it will be helpful to future readers, hence the bump. if anyone new wants to know then just enter your variables in this thread and i will attempt to help you. take into account that i am not a doctor and will only be giving advise based on personal experience. my advice should not be taken as medical advice and should only be interpreted as a slight (variable) guideline based on what has worked for me in the past, my tolerance, weight and methadone metabulism. i do not claim to be an expert and disclaim any responsibility for your actions. if you are 90lbs and tripple your dose you may die of resperatory failure. similarily based on your opiate/opioid tolerance you may not even notice the effects

Last edited:
Was on Methadone clinic 'treatment' for 10 yrs plus. ... It DOES block the high from any other opi's... I was on 120mg/day and tried popping four 20mg oxys and NOTHING!!! of course I was on daily dose, 3 waffers every morning, and .... It was the worst mistake ever. Literally just enabled me to keep 'appeasing my want to get high'.. Come on. Be honest. Probably only about 25% of ppl enrolled or enrolling in the 'program' have actual plans to titrate and get off completely. The unfortunate rest of them, "Come on we'll keep feeding you methadone forever, and it's a great alternative"... Until you can't pay your weekly bill. Then it's IMMEDIATELY CUT OFF!!
Be forewarned! Jus go thru the shit, dont join this horrible program that takes you from buying dope on the street, and allows you to buy it from a nurse who'll dose you every morning, then give you weeks worth and trust you(an addict) not to overuse.
.... Good luck people!

I have a question, I currently take 75 mg down from 90 and have for a year and a half. I have a surplus of unused methadone in my fridge, I am wondering if on days I feel like I need to get a buzz...
If I am at a stable does of say 75 for a while, is there any way i can take an extra 30mg to get a buzz and relaxation or if i took 30 in the middle of the day? (I take it in the morning) im on it due to a heroin / Oxi addiction, i havent used in a year andf a half but im needing some relax, pot does not work, is there any way i can use my extra methadone to get a slight high if i up the dose or take some extra throught the day????
Thanks!

You say you want to be able to just "relax" and that is what spurred you to start inquiring about your methadone etc.. To be honest, methadone would most definitely not be the drug I(or a doctor) would choose to attempt to relax a patient.
Why not try a benzo? Xanax, Klonopin, Ativan, Versed, and on and on. Why put your sobriety, not to mention your life, at risk just because you want to be able to relax once in a while?
In my experience, Klonopin does the trick quite nicely without much(or any) memory loss or lethargy. Plus it is moderately long acting so you can feel relaxed the entire day from one dose....without getting all fucked up.

*Just be careful you take SAFE quantities(do your research) and always remember that mixing opioids and benzos is always a balancing act*