• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

really stupid kinda scared. suboxone/codeine

Shady Kaity

Bluelighter
Around nine pm I took around one mg of suboxone.
IVe been getting over an upper respitory infection and have prometh/codeine...no idea of what the mg of the syrup is btw. It doesn't say on the bottle.
Welli still have a dry cough and its really bothering me tonight and without thinking I took a dose of the syrup.
Will the sub and the codeine make me sick??? Or will it just block the codeine effects?

At 1mg, its metabolite, Norbuprenorphine, should potentiate the codeine, given that there isn't a high level of suboxone accumulated in your body. How often do you take suboxone, and how much do you take?

I take it twice maybe three times a week always at around one mg...
And also in between I've been taking percs for a week only 10-15mgs at a time. Then that's when I got the codeine ontop of it too

Unless you injected or plugged it, raising the BA, I wouldn't worry about it :)

Even snorting 1mg is ok, since it is effectively as strong as 2mg sublingual bupe, which is still not enough to cause precipitated withdrawals.

Oh thank goodness! I was about to bug out. I'm not an opiate/heroin addict so I was so scared I just threw myself into automatic withdrawals with no type of knowledge or expectations lol ... I don't usually make such careless mistakes, but I'm running on over 50 hours of no sleep...withdrawal would've been the just the cherry ontop lol
....I'm sorry...I'm rambling. Fuck, I'm exhausted.

Your body needs a nice, long sleep to recover from your URI. Try to eat a nice, big meal, or BRAT (bread, rice, apples, toast) if you can't handle regular food, drink plenty of room temperature water (cold water makes URI's worse), and knock yourself out with 25mg Doxylamine or 25-50mg Benadryl. Some chelated Magnesium and 30mg Zinc will help raise your immune response and give you a better sleep, too.

Oh, and DON'T SMOKE WEED OR CIGARETTES!!! Fuck, I hate URI's/bronchitis.

Feel better! :)

Well, I have a strange update if you will...
I let myself fall asleep around two just before. Then the next thing I know my boyfriend is like yelling at me "kaity are you okay?! Wtf you're scaring me" and I was jus like wth yeah I'm fine why.
I apparently was making bizarre scary noises and he tried to wake me up which apparently prompted me to start violently shaking? He says he was trying to wake me for fifteen or so seconds. Then I woke up and had zero idea of what he was talking about about. Then I checked the time ane I had only been asleep for not even ten minutes before all this nonsense.
Uh, wtf? Lol should I be concerned or something? Is it safe to sleep?
I am also on other medications so I don't kno if that would have any involvement.

u shouldnt have been worried about the opiates , more the fact ur mixing them with current medications , thats probably what caused what sounds like a fucking seisure or some shit , doesnt sound good at all , i dont know much though .

im having shitloads of trouble sleeping too , but thanks to breathing , not even drugs , if i was still on ice i would be breathing fine but no ive been 2 and a half days without sleep from overthinking/breathing problems , been getting paranoid about suffocating in my sleep too , was about to call the ambos so i just asked some randoms in my complex if they had ventalin , glad to be alive .

Could that really have been a seizure? When he told me what happened, I was immediately concerned it was. I'm not sure if I've ever had a seizure before, it would seem likely that I should have as I used to take close to 3000mgs of dxm at a time and my mom said she would find me unresponsive on the couch with my eyes rolling back...that was almost four years ago though and I was high out of my god damn existence pretty much so I have no idea what was going on. So this is the first time I'm like actually aware and concerned that it might have been a seizure.
Any in put or experience? Can you even have seizures while asleep? How would I even know?

I dont think you had a seizure. DXM is an NMDA antagonist. But too much of it can make you black out. I'm also assuming the DXM was in some regular form of cough syrup. Codeine cough syrup only has 5mg/mL codeine, but it also has promethazine. Whatever syrup the DXM was in also has an antihistamine like promethazine...either doxylamine or diphenhydramine. I dont know if you combined them or not...but if you took that much DXM, then you took a lot of antihistamine too. You yeah you would've blacked out completely...which would explain your eyes rolled back. That doesn't sound like a seizure. It just sounds like you're taking too many things to help you sleep. It's my experience that cough syrups don't really help sleep. Also, you shouldn't be combining medications that you don't know much about. The suboxone and codeine is not a bad combo...the suboxone is binds too tightly to your opioid receptor to let anything as weak as codeine bind. Codeine cough syrup only feels that way because promethazine is a super strong antihistamine. Codeine is weak as hell.

If you're really having trouble sleeping, dont take anymore syrups. OR...talk to your doctor and see if you can get prescribed Hydromet. It's Hydrocodone with Mono-atropine(the latter doesnt really do anything...its not an antihistamine). The good thing about it is the 'vicodin' part will stop the coughing and really help you sleep. The bad thing about it is that it will get you high and youll probably want more or take more than you should.

Other than Hydromet (aka Hycodan)...nothing is going to help you sleep and not cough. You could ask for a small dose of cod/prom syrup with a small dose of xanax. Or Hydromet with xanax. But I doubt your doctor is gonna want to add a benzo to it...especially if you dont have a tolerance. Also...just hearing about how much you take...I'd be kind of worried that you'd take too much and not wake up.

You really have to make sure you use your medication responsibly. If you're really that desperate to sleep...talk to your Dr seriously about Hydromet and dont take it with anything else unless (s)he offers a benzodiazepine with it. And if they do...take it only as prescribed.

violently shaking doesnt sound like just a black out .

good luck getting opiates to sleep ... ull get stillnox or something , id suggest tranquilizers if its for sleep , althought doxylamine / promethzine should be good enough :/ , but yeah i had a massive weekend , hadnt dosed anything for over 2 days and wasnt even close to sleeping for probably another 2-3 days , took 2 of these strong ass tranquilizers and bang , within half an hour (the walk home) i couldnt keep my eyes open and started getting auditory halluicinations till i got to sleep lol it was fun as .

but yeah speak to a doctor is probably the best option , the above post is basically promoting things that are good for sleep , but way better for getting high . use only sleep aids if u just want to sleep , or ur just diving into another potentiol addiction .

The dxm was years ago for simply getting high...sorry for the confusion.
I took the suboxone because I ran out of Percs and needed something for a substitute pain killer. Then I took the codeine because I'm getting over being sick and still have a persistent dry cough and just wasn't thinking.
I was up before all that for over fifty hours because I was in a lot of pain and unable to sleep. While not being able to sleep I doubled my dose of vyvanse two days in a row and took my regular dose of cymbalta and plaquenil. As aids to stay awake during the day I took one diet pill called zanterex 3 and just one cup of coffee. And on both nights I took y Norma
Dose of topamax. And I had one rum and coke during the day. Also to help my cough and get phlegm up I took four severe cough and congestion pills, each containing twenty mgs of dxm and four hundred mgs of gaufenisen which I've been doing for about the last week.
If any of that information helps anyone help me figure out if I may have had a seizure or not lol sorry to ramble and tell my like life story, I'm just a little concerned is all.
Thanks everyone

Double dose of Vyvanse, the SNRI cymbalta, Zantarex (wtf man...just sleep already, you're sick), 80mg DXM, opioids, and coffee? It's possible that you had a seizure. But, they can kill you and cause massive brain damage, and you're here and your brain is working enough to make that post, so I wouldn't worry about it. ;)

Btw, it's stupid, stupid choice to abuse amp medications to make up for sleeping. If you're sleepy, SLEEP! Don't take drugs that need neurotransmitters replenished by sleep to work.

I think it's the other way around as to your original question.. you would have had to have taken the codeine beforehand Then taken the Suboxone for it to cause pre meditated wd

You are in no way at a risk of precipitated WD. Unless you were on a heavy dose of opiates the previous days, enough to cause withdrawal now. Your sub will feel like a normal sub, if anything with a little *boost* from the codeine.

The combo of DXM, SNRI and other stims are definitely a possible recipe for a seizure. It isn't too uncommon for people to seize off high dose amphetamine and DXM, but fortunately your DXM dose remained fairly low. Be more careful! The SNRI increases your risk atleast 5 fold.

Last edited:
Could that really have been a seizure? When he told me what happened, I was immediately concerned it was. I'm not sure if I've ever had a seizure before, it would seem likely that I should have as I used to take close to 3000mgs of dxm at a time and my mom said she would find me unresponsive on the couch with my eyes rolling back...that was almost four years ago though and I was high out of my god damn existence pretty much so I have no idea what was going on. So this is the first time I'm like actually aware and concerned that it might have been a seizure.
Any in put or experience? Can you even have seizures while asleep? How would I even know?

Well seeing how your body and mind are used to taking 3000mgs of DXM (which is in the fatal range btw http://www.erowid.org/chemicals/dxm/dxm_dose.shtml) and youve reacted negatively to whats been put in your body recently id say take a break from the things you can do without. As i was reading your posts i couldnt help but think "goddamn this girl has a damn pharmacy in her house" due to all the stuff you reporting using.

IMO id say slow down on some of the stuff, sleep, take some vitamins to replenish what your body has lost from lack of sleep, and id say not to mix vyvanse with subs and codeine. In my experience vyvanse is too damn weak but still added with opiates, daily meds, cough meds, and diet pills could probably have a hand in that quite abnormal episode of shaking...

Do your bf a favor and try not violently shaking again lol.

Hahaha yeah...I basically do have a pharm on my house. My rxed meds are vyvanse 70mgs cymbalta 30mgs and topamax 25mg and plaquenil 200mgs 2x a day. I also get percs as needed and had the prometh/codeine for my upper respite ru infection...
And as to sleeping when I'm tired, I wish I could but Im a single mother to a very active toddler lol sleeping is barely an option for me, it's more of a luxury nowadays.
Oh and I take the sub every now and then either when I don't have pain medication or I want a little buzz going on.
I often twitch, kick, scream, shake and apparently look like I'm being strangled or like I'm in pain while I sleep.
I have PTSD and nightmares every night for the last four years. And I suspect I have rls. So now that it seems I might have had a seizure, I'm going to try to get a referral for a sleep study. I NEVER feel rested after sleeping and I haven't for years now..I feel like its really taking a toll on me physically mentally and emotionally so I think a sleep study is the way to go.
I'd at least like to find out what the hell is going on with me and better understand it.

So. I wrote on this years ago. I'm now a career neuropsychopharmacologist with a graduate degree in bio-organic molecular chemistry. So to edit my post and add...yes you could have had a seizure. Every DXM tussin bottle I read has a warning to stay away from MAOIs or anything that increases serotonin, dopamine, norepinephrine, etc. Opioids have a downstream serotonergic effect (increase). SNRIs obviously do. DXM does. I know it's been years but you can't take all those meds. You're mixing SNRIs, opioids, NMDA antagonists, anticholinergics, alcohol, topamax (alters sodium channels and GABAARs like alcohol), dextrosmphetamine, and some diet pill. That's terrifying!

No judgements. Just saying that's too many variables to know what caused what. The topimax should prevent any seizures but the combination of everything you wrote could have led to some tonic-clonic seizure or mild serotonin syndrome--certainly something excitotoxic.

If you're still around, I really hope you trim some of those meds and stick to what you absolutely need to be a happy, responsible you. Best wishes.

Last edited: