• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

How long does Cannabis induced Derealization last?

It's pretty terrifying alright.
I ate a weed brownie and that triggered my cannabis induced depersonalisation.
I suffered with anxiety and panic attacks before this but nothing to degree I have now.
I've had it for a full week now.
I do worry cos I had the anxiety already am I going to be one of those people that has the depersonalisation forever.

I literally made an account just to reply to this ^^ it literally feels like you're going crazy. I had it pretty bad for about 2 weeks. Felt like i was in a horror movie, i would constantly have panic attacks which would only make it worse and when those happen u literally want to kill yourself because it feels like its not worth living. It honestly doesnt feel like ur living, when u close ur eyes it feels like ur just staring into a dark room which made it hard to sleep. It got so bad that even someone looking at me would scare me, feels like ur talking to a stranger. Feels like literal hell. I still get those odd moments when it hits me but controllable. Just dont think about it. I went to the hospital 4 times in a week because i knew there was something wrong with me but they just sent me home...they eventually told me it was derealization. Dont judge if u havent been through it.

I just made this account to reply to you lol I did the SAME exact thing. Do not feel bad at all. I have called the ambulance at least 3 times because I was freaking out, I wasn't high, I was just having like non-stop panic attacks. I would constantly feel the need to "escape".. I would throw up because I thought it would make me feel better, I wasn't eating, couldn't leave my house and hang with friends because I would have a panic attack if I did. I felt like I was literally going insane like I had my mom take me to the hospital so I could check myself in to the psych ward but they didn't, they gave me some medicine and it made me feel slap happy when I took it at the hospital (because lack of sleep) and I felt good. I took it until my Zoloft had started working (because it doesn't work right away, takes a few weeks to start working) but I highly recommend Zoloft! I feel like we are really alike. You should hit me up on Instagram @jessnpike or somethin and we can talk.

Im a 23 year old girl from Norway who has had derealization and depersonalization since 21 May this year. Because of smoking pot for the first time in 4 months. Wow that shit is is heavy :( I called the ambulanse right away, i felt like my brain was splitting in half and my way of seeing the world and reallity was completely turned around:/ Nothing felt real and even dough i remember how life was before I just cant feel it anymore.. when i speak with my mom in the phone I know who She is and I know I love her but it just feels strange and it scares the shit out of me. Since it happend it has gotten alot better to the point where it dosent scare me that much but i still feel the unreal feeling and disattatchment (if thats even a Word:p) to reallity. I simply feel like a robot 24/7. I dont feel like im in control of what i say or do, i just do it like a freakin robot. Ive been wondering if i might be schitzofrenic sometimes but ive learned that its "only" anxiety.. i also get freaked out by my own thoughts sometimes if i think to hard about things. Like if i have a Song on my brain that wont stop playing i Can get total panic because i feel like i have noe control over my brain. I also think about the fact the we can think about stuff is really unreal.. how can i see av cat inside of my head like a picture when i think of it. Its just som wierd. All of these things were just part of beeing av normal person before, noe everything is just wierd and unreal. I awoid beeing sosial and outside of my appartment just because i fear having panic of the fact that the world is just to unreal:( I think that when you first have experianced all these emotions and feelings you will probably never be the same but you can learn to live with it atleast the best you can... the moment the derealization hit med I New that my brain could never going back to its old self. Its just to heavy and to much.. its so sad, and the first 4 months i thought about killing myself because i didnt want to live like this. But it does get better... sometimes i can go for at whole day without think thinking about it, but when i check my reality feeling again its just not There. My vision is allways blurry and my concentration and memory is super bad. Its aldri difficult to think and plan things... in some way i feel a bit retarded:p but i havet allways been a smart person, allways hadde thoughts about the universe, death, existing etc.. i havet strong adhd and i think that has made med moren whonoreble (sorry for bad english).. i dont know its just really bizarre and a unrile condition... wish i could wake up again and feel back to my old self but i dont even remember how it was to not live outside of your own conciusnes... sorry if its not what you want to Hear but its better to try to deler with it and just acsept your New state of mind in stead of fighting it :/

Cannabis induced Derealization

I am a 19 year old male and recently developed Marijuana induced derealization. I have been sober for 3 weeks but the feelings are still here.

The environment feels fake and my memory and concentration is non existent. I do not have any symptoms of physical anxiety but rather my perception of the world is distorted.

This all happened randomly when I was smoking a joint last week. I had been smoking for 3 years before with no problems.

I have heard that this can last a life time in some people and personally that scares the crap out of me. Avoiding smoking does not seem to make me feel normal again. I have been taking vitamins such as Magnesium, B12, and B complex so I can feel better but nothing is working.

For those who developed Cannabis Derealization/Depersonalization, is there a possibility that it stays permanently or does it eventually go away? How long does it usually take?

Thank you guys and this forum is nice.

-Jets.

Hello there, Hope all is well with you.

I Know the thread is pretty old, but i have been going thru the exact same symptoms like you did for almost a month now.

I smoked up last month at a party & after a couple of days later, it all started coming back to me,randomly. Complete derealization.
A week after it hit me back was the worst. Completely disoriented, with a strange robotic feeling & slow motion. It sucks.
The Feeling stayed with me ON & OFF for a month now. with some days being regularly normal.

Though i am much better now, with heaviness in the head & eyes, and only manageable derealisation. -

I would like to know how long did it take you to, get back to being normal, If you did.??
Is there anything that is to be taken into consideration..??

Note that i am not a regular smoker, also i havent touched weed since the incident.

Any Help / Reply would be Highly appreciated.

ThanQ in advance. Peace.

The environment feels fake and my memory and concentration is non existent.

I'm not sure you started using the drug with the right set of expectations. Most amphetamine users would kill for a weed-induced mind-set like what you have described, so from their point of view you actually achieved a great success, because you get a lot more from subsequent amphetamine use. How is your sleep doing? When you wake up in the morning, do you feel refreshed, like you should? Or is it just toss and turn?

Whn i was 14 didnt do drugs wouldnt dare was walking down the street with a football and afew mates and i shit you not i randomly started feeling a rush that blurred between pleasent and trippy for 2 min.

The only thing that could have triggered it but would be impossible is this white candle thing on the floor i briefly touched with my hand their was no smoke or anything as it was out so i dont see how that could caused it but it happened seconds after touching it ive always wondered my mum didn't even beleive me when i told her the truth.

When it leveled out i felt like i was on a strong sativa(at the time i didnt know this i just knew i wasnt sober and i also felt like i was watching myself through a television now i think about it weeds never done that to me) i had perfect reactions and was dribbling the ball in the air fast and perfect aim and control almost effortlessly my mates just laughed when i told them as we went home i remember the distinct feeling of watching myself through a television or another demension i would love some insight.

There's no set timer, you just have to go on living life.. The only real advice to make it go away faster is to give your brain a lot of stimuli. From supplements, exercise, be social.. train you memory. Remember, resistance is just making it stronger, let it flow, .. just don't care about it at all, let it be the fact that it is, an illusion. It'll go away.

It'll clear up eventually. It can take quite a while though. I had it a little for a brief time after I stayed pretty baked nearly 24/7 off some very dank sativas back when I was like 19. The issue for me was that when it happened, the solution was just more and more weed to not have the derealization..... of course, that just led to continuing to be high nearly 24/7 for a good stretch. Mine wasn't really full on derealization as much as just a general state of being a bit apathetic and bored with sobriety. However, after tripping a few times, it ended up resolving itself. Not recommending drugs to correct an issue caused by another drug though, as just continuing to go drug free would likely be an even better course of action IMO. Still, I think it'll resolve itself at some point. Just be patient and try not to let it get to you, as best you can, though speaking from experience it can be quite difficult.

I am 39. It's been 11 days since my THC (edibles) caused derealization started. I feel A LOT better now. Mine gets better with time. I know what you're feeling right now. You think you're going nuts you're paranoid about people and yourself, but CHILL. For me, this problem goes away. Some days are better than others but stick with it. I will describe a multidimensional approach to beating this that worked for me. The below is a social and chemical approach.

Do activities with TRUSTED and POSITIVE loved ones, whether your family or closest friends. I know you do not want to. I know you just want to stay in your room or apartment by yourself, but FORCE yourself to be around them and FORCE yourself to go out. Do something strenuous like hiking. When you do this, talk and engage and discuss what you like and what's interesting to you. You will notice that at times you're you again and you forget you have your problem. It comes back and then goes away and back and goes away. It's a normal cycle but with time, perhaps it will take another week or more, but in time it goes away completely. You must at first force yourself to to things. If you have no trusted positive friends, then simply go by yourself to a hike or gym or jog. Listen to something hilarious while you jog or something interesting.

Here's what is going on with me neurologically: Serotonin and dopamine are POWERFUL mood chemicals in the brain that relate to anxiety, paranoia, happiness, etc. For those of us with THC sensitivity, it might be the case that serotonin and dopamine could be thrown out of whack. If this happens, it could be the cause of my anxiety shooting through the roof which relates to my obsessive thinking (over-thinking) about who I am, which causes extreme stress and paranoia. It's simple: I simply needed to calm down that obsessive thinking (over-thinking) so that the anxiety and paranoia didn't start, so that I could feel like me again. I did this, I believe, by modifying my serotonin and dopamine and it's EASY and SAFE to do. I noticed the calmness almost IMMEDIATELY. Here's what worked for me: Go to any health food store and buy 5 HTP. It's a supplement sold over the counter and 100% safe. You can even buy it at Walmart. I paid like $9 for it. 5 HTP is a precursor to serotonin and when you take it it helps create more serotonin in the brain. I feel the effects within minutes. I was like, "ahhhh, this is great!" What happens is that 5 HTP calms me and so the over-thinking about the paranoia just stops. My brain doesn't allow me to obsess and be afraid of what you THINK is happening to me. My brain just doesn't allow that scary feeling to happen. So with 5 HTP I ALMOST felt 100% back to normal. But professionals recommend taking 5 HTP with L-tyrosine, which can be found at any health food store. I paid about $10 for it. It's safe and over the counter. L-tyrosine generates dopamine. I took it and wow. I thought 5 HTP helped but with L-tyrosine I felt even better. 5 HTP helps calm me and L-tyrosine provides that happy motivation back. So this seemed to kick my neruochemistry back where it should be. I feel like me again.

And of course NEVER smoke weed... ever. My problem started with edibles. Way too powerful but smoking weed does the same thing so avoid smoking and definitely avoid edibles. Also, until you're better, you must avoid all caffeine.

I did the social aspect first (hiking and talking with a friend), before I knew about 5 HTP an L-tyrosine. That alone helped tremendously but once I started 5 HTP and L-tyrosine the problem is almost gone. So I recommend both approaches. After a while I won't have to take those supplements any more because my brain chemistry will be normal on its own.

One good thing about this experience is that it makes you really appreciate life. You learn to better appreciate those who love you. You learn to better appreciate life, the small things and big. You don't take for granted this life any more. Your traumatic experience is a gift in a way. It is a hard lesson to learn but you needed this lesson. So, when you're all better you need to apply the gratitude that you feel and be a positive force on your friends and family and the world. Now get out there and do something and be happy because you will be you again.

Last edited:
Wow, brutal honesty right there. That sucks. I have heard of recovery stories though...

Don't scare the poster. This is not true. If, in your case, it happens to be true, I won't argue or try to invalidate your experience. I've known people that have smoked a LOT and have been functioning perfectly eventually. The more you worry about it, the more you'll talk yourself into being impaired.

I have experienced this fog from SSRI meds (or as I call them, the "gateway to an outer circle of hell"). What worked for me is PUSHING through the fog. If you are physically weak, the answer is not to sit around and do nothing. You have to challenge your body. The same is true for the brain. Use it in different, and difficult ways. Buy a math book. Learn a language. For the first few weeks, you'll be discouraged and think that you have a permanent brain injury because it will be SO HARD to get anywhere with these studies. Then, very quickly (as in days) you'll start to see rapid improvement. Good luck.

Depersonalization is normal, maybe not having it 24/7 but still its a normal human experience...telling yourself its not normal isn't going to help. I think marijuana just brought it to surface and you got scared by it, your realization of the element of depersonalization can be kinda traumatic and its easy to get caught up in it.

Take in stride and try to say fuck it, even if it hard as hell.

Do you have anxiety?

Are you obsessing over it?

Live life on life's terms, as hard as it may be but dwelling on it and going on the internet for it(been there and done that)...leads to nothing but a further fascination with it being problematic and it further reemphasizes the negative aspect of it.

Normal? Normal as in it's known to happen, sure, but normal as in this is typical of the human mind? Nahhhhhh, gotta disagree with that one.

It wouldn't be a clinical disorder if it were "normal," but I definitely agree that it's normal in the sense that it's not unheard of.

For what it's worth, I agree with pretty much everything else you said in this thread, though. ;)

Ive smoked a month ago and had a panic attack i got scared and thaught i was dying.....i passed a couple times and end up a the hospital....from that day i started to view life different like i didnt have any control over life like things were going the way it suppose...like i was viewing my life from the outside....that experience made me not wanting to ever smoke again.....im not in control of my thaughts and i always thing of future and wonder what if?that question always pop....i was really happy before i smoke....im worried for no reason all the time....reading about people experiences with it help a little bit but sometimes they make it look like theres no hope of healing...i feel a little better because im not that anxious as usual...meditation helps cuz your brain release a little of your worries....its kinda hard feeling this way but youll heal being too happy feels weird at times cuz u dont normally feel that way....when ever u fall into depersonalization state ignore it dont change your actions do whatever you want....what i do sometimes is tell my self that i was normal before i smoke and the anxiety last for 5 mins r else

Ive smoked a month ago and had a panic attack i got scared and thaught i was dying.....i passed a couple times and end up a the hospital....from that day i started to view life different like i didnt have any control over life like things were going the way it suppose...like i was viewing my life from the outside....that experience made me not wanting to ever smoke again.....im not in control of my thaughts and i always thing of future and wonder what if?that question always pop....i was really happy before i smoke....im worried for no reason all the time....reading about people experiences with it help a little bit but sometimes they make it look like theres no hope of healing...i feel a little better because im not that anxious as usual...meditation helps cuz your brain release a little of your worries....its kinda hard feeling this way but youll heal being too happy feels weird at times cuz u dont normally feel that way....when ever u fall into depersonalization state ignore it dont change your actions do whatever you want....what i do sometimes is tell my self that i was normal before i smoke and it last for 5 mins r else

Serotonin and dopamine are POWERFUL mood chemicals in the brain that relate to anxiety, paranoia, happiness, etc. For those of us with THC sensitivity, it might be the case that serotonin and dopamine could be thrown out of whack. If this happens, it could be the cause of my anxiety shooting through the roof which relates to my obsessive thinking (over-thinking) about who I am, which causes extreme stress and paranoia. It's simple: I simply needed to calm down that obsessive thinking (over-thinking) so that the anxiety and paranoia didn't start, so that I could feel like me again. I did this, I believe, by modifying my serotonin and dopamine and it's EASY and SAFE to do. I noticed the calmness almost IMMEDIATELY. Here's what worked for me: Go to any health food store and buy 5 HTP. It's a supplement sold over the counter and 100% safe. You can even buy it at Walmart. I paid like $9 for it. 5 HTP is a precursor to serotonin and when you take it it helps create more serotonin in the brain. I feel the effects within minutes. I was like, "ahhhh, this is great!" What happens is that 5 HTP calms me and so the over-thinking about the paranoia just stops. My brain doesn't allow me to obsess and be afraid of what you THINK is happening to me. My brain just doesn't allow that scary feeling to happen. So with 5 HTP I ALMOST felt 100% back to normal. But professionals recommend taking 5 HTP with L-tyrosine, which can be found at any health food store. I paid about $10 for it. It's safe and over the counter. L-tyrosine generates dopamine. I took it and wow. I thought 5 HTP helped but with L-tyrosine I felt even better. 5 HTP helps calm me and L-tyrosine provides that happy motivation back. So this seemed to kick my neruochemistry back where it should be. I feel like me again.
For others reading this: I had feelings of losing contact with reality after having space cake. After a weeek or so, I took this advice and it became way worse. So bad that I ended up in multiple psychoses. In the end, professional help and a medicine called Risperidon (a.k.a. Risperdal) got me back to normal. So my advice: seek professional help instead of browsing random people's experience/advice on forums.

For others reading this: I had feelings of losing contact with reality after having space cake. After a weeek or so, I took this advice and it became way worse. So bad that I ended up in multiple psychoses. In the end, professional help and a medicine called Risperidon (a.k.a. Risperdal) got me back to normal. So my advice: seek professional help instead of browsing random people's experience/advice on forums.

I don't mean to make light of your situation but that story explained your username so perfectly. Glad you found your way out the cake space, bro, lol.

Not until I first tried Lorazepam. Then the fog lifted immediately.

Some say a few weeks or months or even up to 2 years. Mine didn't go away after a year off.

It's frontal lobe of the brain being too active because of anxiety. Once I woke up and couldn't see a damn thing. My vision was so disoriented. 2 mg of lorazepam, a nice shower and I was ready to go into the world.

I wouldn't recommend going this way. Accept it and live with it.

Hi, I know this thread is kinda old.. but anyway!

I'm a 17yo old boy, and about a year and a half ago (maybe more) I was at a friends house and I smoked a joint of cannabis...My last. I had a bad trip!!! For the context: I was pretty tired (partys the nights before, so smoking, etc), and that one joint suddenly destroyed me. I fell unconscious for a couple of minutes w/o noticing it because I can only remember lighting the joint, then waking up on the floor, with cold sweat. I remember looking at my friends talking, while my heart was racing, and i was grabbing onto the nearest table cuz i felt like i was leaving my body, leaving reality. My mind was like confused of its own existance and fonction. I really felt like I was going to die, or at least leave my body, and live in a 3rd person like way, or something like that. I dont know i was scared and high. mybe a bit too "high"..
Anyway, i went back home and went to bed (alone in house, paranoid, and had a lot of trouble falling asleep). The next morning i woke up, and actually didn't "feel awake". It was th first time i felt that. And ever since, I've never felt a "real" waking up, as i felt before. Probably just paranoia or something, i dont know.
For about a month or two after that night, I was in a bad state. No concentration, no appetite, paranoia, anxiety, blurry and distorted vision of the world around me, i felt like there was a glass wall in front of me too, like my life was a film that i was watching on a screen, like i could see the same things as everyone else, i lived the same things, etc, but it just didnt feel 100% real. LIKE I'M IN A DREAM..
Those feelings are still there, but much less. I can cope with them basically. At the start i just felt i was going to die, or that i was really high and thought i would never ever come down.
I still feel like i'm still a bit up there, that my brain is missing a thing that made me live life and think sincerely "Yes! This is reality!". I still feel like my mind has got cotton wool in it, preventing the full fonction of my senses and having a clear mind, a free mind, not gasping for air in a pool of negative/paranoia-like/reality doubting thoughts and feelings. In other words, I've always kept in me, somewhere, a kinda doubt of my life, of reality, of my existance, and I constantly (often, not on purpose) check if i'm not in a dream.. I wish, i wish hard, that one morning I'll "wake up", I'll feel the difference, and I'll say to myself "Finally.. !"
My life is an everyday struggle in my subconscious negative thoughts. But like i said, i do feel better than a year ago! Well, i don't know if the derealization has gradually left, or if I've just gotten used to it..
Anyway, it's a long story, a very long struggle (I'm not wining, believe me), and a part from that my life hasn't fallen to pieces (socially). I do wish i could go back in time and not smoke that one joint, but then maybe it was going to happen one day or the other. And maybe it has opened me up to myself and made me think more (existanciel thoughts, etc).. Maybe a bit to much sometimes (sometimes ive gotten anxiety waves, and an even stronger "lost in the clouds" feeling..).

ANYWAY! I came here mainly to ask a question... I havent touched cannabis ever since the incident. I'm scared that if i smoke again i'll have another bad trip and be thrown back in the derealisation (as like at the begginning!), but I still am tempted. More and more. I also feel more and more confident and in control of myself. My friends all smoke, and so : I was wondering what you all think about smoking again? Of course, not regularly like before. just everynow and then (like at a party or so). Do you think it's harmfull in my case? Do you think it'll just be fine (if i dont panic) and might even help my case? (I read once that a schizophrenia developing boy, smoked some after bad experience and it actually helped). I was thinking maybe the "coming down" from being high, would help me see the contrast between "being in the clouds" and reality for real (as i consider myself already kinda in the clouds); is that possible?
Basically, is it wise, not wise or "neutral" for me to try smoking weed again ? Just a bit, slowly, with the right people... (Some blueberry. Not too cerebral, more physical high/stone).

That's it. I really hope someone can help. Really.
Thank you for whoever managed to read my post, and sorry for the bad writing.
Peace, and good vibes to all those suffering from derealization!

If you want to contact me via email, here: [email protected]

Trust me man it?s not worth it I had exactly the same thing happen to me and when things started to get better I started smoking again and all i can say is that when it comes back it hits you twice as hard i?ve had dp/dr for about 4 years now and it?s worse now than it?s ever been...

Made an account just for this. Was 16 smoked a lot for about a year and then took a load of bong hits and had an even more fucked up experience that depersonalisation idek how to explain it it was like I saw my thoughts and saw me and my friend from an all knowing perspective and I remember watching TV freaking out inside my head because nothing I looked at had any meaning and my friend kept asking questions and it really freaked me the fuck out so I kept saying don?t ask me questions and as u can imagine he thought wtf so we went back to my house and went to sleep. Then I was fine for a few days and I got depersonalisation for the next 8 months except mine was really bad. I didn?t even know what anything was I don?t know how to explain i felt like I was my consciousness and I was just looking through my eyes and that wasn?t actually me, my body was just a tool to look through and feel things which I guess is the truth (woah if you actually deep what I just said it?s so fucked up) but basically . I used to have it in waves for 10 minutes then 10 minutes with out it all day every day. I was in denial with myself that it was actually happening I tried to ignore it for that long. SERIOUSLY considered suicide a lot. But i was reading up on it when I finally found what it was and people were saying it?s untreatable and they have had it for 10 years which made me feel worse. But I read somewhere to stop reading about it so I stopped. Then I started going to the gym every day, this was important coz you need to do something to keep your mind off it because otherwise you?ll keep thinking of fucked up thoughts and because I was in school the social interactions helped. Then It slowly disappeared and I really hope it never comes back because it was literally the worst experience of my life. I?m not an emotional person but when I even think about depersonalisation for More than 5 seconds I can?t help it but tears will literally run down my face. I never even told anyone that it was happening and still haven?t until now, not even my best friends, parents etc i don?t know why I just didn?t want to open up about it I honestly don?t know why.

Even though this is an old forum/post and probs not one will read it it actually feels so good to explain this cos I?ve never done it before.

Also another thing that made me feel better which is true when you think about it. There is a problem with ur brain(like a cut) and cuts heal over time so your brain will heal over time. Just don?t even consider being in a room with weed smoke let alone smoking again as if you do smoke again, I can almost guarantee you?ll have this for years. If you don?t, you?ll be completely fine like me.

Jw I think about it if you?re reading this and you have it you should honestly tell someone and try to get help but I feel like if you keep talking about it and people keep trying to help you, it will get worse because the best thing to do that worked for me is forget about it. I?d recommend telling close people and make sure you go gym every day, force yourself to go out, have fun go out drinking on weekends (I never got depersonalisation when I did this). Just forget about it and keep active and I promise you it will go away and never come back just like it did with me. I wish someone was typing this to me when I had it. Just visualise being normal again, feeling the way you used to, I promise if you do what I said you will go back to normal I can swear on anything. Good luck to you even though you won?t need it if you?ve read this.