• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Valium and Xanax at the same time?

ANewKindOfArmy

Bluelighter
i was just thinking about this, if one were to take valium and xanax at the same time would they fight it out or would they just both bind? Or would one outweigh the other and waste them. Not that i neeed to do this but i always wonderd what would happen. I've been given a bottle of xanax for break through panic attacks before so maybe after said time you could take the xanx after valium. Anyway back to the question, how would this one actually work out?

Just curious,
be safe
-B

I believe it would just sedate you more. The two drugs are in the same class, yes each one has some different traits (like the legs of Clonazepam aren't the same as Alprazolam for example) but they generally have many similar anxiolytic, hypnotic, and muscle-relaxant properties. I know what combining the two will do for sure though: send your tolerance through the roof.

What's your tolerance like? If you're a first timer (which I assume you're not) I STRONGLY suggest not taking both at the same time. Benzodiazepines are powerful drugs and if you barely have any tolerance 2mg of Xanax is enough to knock you out; why would you want to combine the two?

My doctor wants to put me on two benzos...one for my HPPD which I'm currently taking (Clonazepam) and one for breakthrough for my panic (Alprazolam or Lorazepam) and I've politely declined because I don't want to send my tolerance through the roof since I'm probably going to be taking Clonazepam a long time since HPPD is irreversible. I've been given Gabapentin instead..and it worries me that my Doctor wants to do this when I'm already on 3mg a day.

After I lost my best mate I used this combo for about a week straight...I don't remember much, but I know it was good because I enjoy all benzo's. Watch out for tolerance though...the other day I ate 90mg of Valium and didn't feel shit...I always use benzo's every other Tuesday....oh shit, it's Tuesday.

If you're looking for a good time I say...get some potentiators...eat the valium...eat the xanax...smoke some weed...forget shit..and maybe tell some of your friends who don't approve of your drug use to fuck off. That's what I did, be smart don't be a retard. ha! I'm off to the races.

Mixing benzos is a good way to black out then you could end up taking more. I would reccomend only using one. As they are cross tolerant so using 2 different ones is a pointless act.

Yeah it'd probably sort of come down to the same as if you'd taken a double dose of the same kind. There isn't much point imo. If you have a low tolerance you might not remember much the next day :)

In general, no. Just like other classes of drugs, benzodiazepines are all cross tolerant to each other. If you're tolerant to one, your tolerant to all. The only difference is the varying potency. Valium is considerably weaker than Alprazolam (I believe 10mg is approximately equivalent to .5mg of Xanax), so it may feel as though one is canceling the other out, but in reality it is just a matter of tolerance (like if you're taking 6mg of xanax regularly, adding an extra .25-.5 mg is not going to be too noticable).

One strange thing I have found, is that clonazepam does seem to negate the effects of alprazolam, if I take the clonazepam 30 minutes or more after consuming the xanax. However, I seem to be the only one who experiences that, so I wouldn't chalk it up to much. The only way in which one would "out-compete" the other, is if one benzo had a super high binding affinity relative to the other.

as someone who has on numerous occasions mixed benzos, i actually found certain combinations to be more enjoyable than their parts, most noteable being the combination of temazepam and alprazolam.
so like it was pointed out above, no they don't compete. think of 'em as drinking different kinds of alcohol, they may taste different, but they all get you drunk.

One combination that I've always found to be extremely enjoyable is temazepam and oxazepam. This seems strange since oxazepam isn't very enjoyable on its own, but when combined with temazepam, the two seem to have this wonderful synergy. I'd usually go with 90 mg of temazepam and 60 mg of oxazepam, and this worked quite nicely. Mind you, I haven't had this combo in quite some time, but it really is rather enjoyable, IME.

Could this be caused by triazolam or one of the stronger triazolo benzodiazepines perhaps?

The only drug that I know of that is used to treat benzodiazepine overdose is Flumazenil, which is a benzodiazepine antagonist. However, it's very risky so it's not used that often. The only time I have heard of it being used is if a person overdoses on the combination of Buprenorphine and a benzo, and since Narcan (naloxone) is not that efficient at treating bupe overdoses, they opt to treat the benzo part of the overdose since it's the combo that is causing OD.

As long as you don't get carried away with re-dosing you should have a great time combining the two. Very useful medically too. Many people are prescribed both its not dangerous in any way.

Yes but only if you got a tollerance or low doses like 2 pills total if no tolerance. I loooooooove Diazepam and Alprazolam. I hate Lorazepam but mixed with Diazepam----its the best Diazepam combo I have had. Xanax and Temazepam are really....warm together...but fuck that
rebound. I want to Try oxazepam....

Mixing benzos is a good way to black out then you could end up taking more. I would reccomend only using one. As they are cross tolerant so using 2 different ones is a pointless act.

This. Coming from someone who is currently tapering off Valium from a Xanax addiction, you don't want to take more than you need.
Please use responsibly, you don't want to end up where I'm at...

Combining the two is relaxing, but in the end it's not worth it

I personally think its a waste of good Benzos, either one by itself is great and all you'd do is knock yourself out by mixing them, and then like has been said already a few days later realise your tolerance for both has skyrocketed.

Damn i actually just wrote this to randomly see what would happen, i wasnt sure if valium or xanax would have a higher affinity for the receptor or vice versa. I'm rxed valium and i had some xanax left over from another problem couple weeks back. I just wanted to see if already had taking valium in the morning would i be ok during to add xan in later on to save the valiums as they honestly last longer and better for my anxiedy levels. Wasnt sure if benzo's would act like The Bupes Or Methadone compared to say Dope or Oxycodone know what i mean? My question was answered so thank you every body. Ends up saving me 2 valiums which is nice. Incase I cant get my money up for my rx. Even though valiums cheap rxed it still costs money lol. Thank you everyone and continue on,

Been reading over some of the posts on here, Sorry about your friend to the one person and that does sound like something i'd definitely have done in the past when i lost a friend. I've been rx'ed valium for a long while now, have a pretty nice tolorance to benzo's in general as my dose's i dont feel like most people rx'd them, they just do what they are soposed to do after you've been taking some for a long enough time. If anyone has read my posts during my active addiction i know a little bit about the subjects with benzo's and pretty well for opiates/oids. All from reading this site. I Actually end up wanting to scream at people after reading this site because everyone in this area when i was an active drug abuser swore this meant that or this meant this and it was all completely wrong. Im sure anyone who's been in these situations knows how it makes you want to punch someone. You know the stupid stories like the guy who took so much LSD he thinks he's a glass of orange juice, hes always a friend of a friend of a friend that doesnt exist haha. Or Pills are pills, xanax and oxycodone are the same addiction this one actually made me laugh histerically and worried about people in my area. could you imagine someone with say an 80mg oxy or 2 bag tolorance and Eating 80mgs of Xanax, It would be dangerous and Scary when in a non tolorant person 1.5mgs worth of xanax would be almost surely enough to do what they wanted it for.

Lemme continue reading on and if i find anymore i'll reaspond. Like i said i didn't expect this to go long as it as. I Expected 1 or 2 reasponces hopefully one of the two being a helpful answer.

Be safe,
-B

Last edited:
For Apples and Oranges Funny when i was younger i had bad time during a opiod wd and a girl i was with gave me a script of valium and oxazepam. I Basically wasted both scripts and ending up shooting dope for another 3 years. Have not heard of oxeazpam since. From what i understand it's basically like the metabolite of valium? Basically the hydromorphone to hydrocodone or Oxymorphone to Oxycodone? Just wanted to see if my current views on the way these things work is currrent and correct. Then again isnt valium like the oldest and most known about benzo so i guess current doesnt really matter.

Last edited:
chlordiazepoxide was the first benzo discovered (known as librium). even the 25mg tabs are woefully underpowered though.