• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Adderall not working anymore, would Dexedrine work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wondering what brand of dex IR do you use? Since actual "brand name" Dexedrine/Dextrostat is off the market, which ones are the best?

I've heard that Barr dex IR/spansules are terrible, which I believe because Teva/Barr's generic adderall is like taking a sugar pill with half the efficacy of others. I hear that Mallincrokodt (sp?) is the best one but then again, I think those are the only 2 available lol. Barr has actually been caught by the FDA because they were putting less of the active ingredient in their adderall

Ugh, don't believe everything you read on that unnamed forum for ADD people. Placebo effect is so massive that it will definitely make a difference. Teva (owns Barr now) has some dirty manufacturing processes, for example their Dextroamphetamine was found to contain 4% (or was it 0.4% ) L-amp, but by and large, these things don't make a difference. Plus they take such massive doses because "teehee everyone is wired differently!" Not to worry, people. Bluelight is here to dispel the bullshit.

I use the Barr 10mg IR Dex, and got ahold of some from 2009 as well to compare. That forum will tell you that post-2010 Barr Dex IR's are inconsistent and weak, but they felt exactly the same to me. Shows you how significant the placebo effect can be, and how they are confusing tolerance to the excess DA effects as inconsistency and weak products. The Barr 10mg IR's are potent and effective in my experience.

The Barr Dex ER's are not liked because their bead release system is plain jane, and I agree, I didn't like their capsules too much. Just know the drug inside is totally the same, it's just the Spansule release system that is patented to Amedra/Corepharma (previously belonged to GSK) that releases the same drug more efficiently.

Mikart is coming out with generic Dex, as is Mallincrokodt (or however the fuck you spell it), but Mikart's coming out with 7 dosage amounts, from 2.5mg all the way to 30mg. When I told my classmate they were coming out with 30mg Dex IR's, he just looked at me and said, "people are gonna die." :D

I know this is a very late reply but....where is Dexedrine brand name out of the market ? In canada it is the only option available, no generics! It's like the opposite as usual as we do get generics for everything before everybody. Same with Adderall...not only do we only get Adderall XR, but there is no such thing as "amphetamine salts mix" here...weird.

Could it be because they almost never script anything else than ritalin ? I'm serious most kids don't even know about concerta or hmm, i had a pdf sheet showing the add meds they use in my province...there's something else that starts with D that is the same concept as Concerta (not sure why it even exists)..see, i don't even know the names of these things because I was one lucky mofo in getting dexedrine not even from a psychiatrist but from a GP.

I have been on Dexedrine for years now and I can honestly tell you that it is the best ADD/ADHD medication out there. Nothing is superior. It's a lot smoother than Adderall and much more effective than Ritalin.

ever heard of desoxyn? THE best stimulant there is. Recreational OR therapeutic, it does the job better than anything. thank god its not smokable though, cause i would vaping that shit all day if it was. in low doses, desoxyn reminds me a little bit of opiates. euphoria with sedation.

It always makes me laugh when people say what these meds are supposed to do and no one can agree. Not the patients or the docs or even the companies that make it.

Anyways, I know this is late to respond but maybe it will help the OP or some one else looking these things up.

I won't say what these meds are supposed to do, because from what I know, from the many ADHD people i've known and doctors i've had the pleasure to talk to on it, the truth is no one has a concrete answer for what these meds should do.

They were originally designed to calm hyperactive kids down, then they added the PI form of adhd and said these meds could help them too. My perspective is how? If the med was meant to calm you down but you are already calm, then what is it supposed to do?

I've asked these questions to docs before and it seems that a newer opinion is that the PI type is not always ADHD, but another more reasonable answer for the op is that hyperactivity can be expressed internally rather than externally. What adhd is, for most, is an inability to distinguish importance of tasks from A to B. In this regard, the brain loses sight of what to focus on and multiple thoughts pop up while you read, or try to pay attention to everything. What is worse, is if you are like me, your mind races a mile a minute without meds.

So, when we are talking recreational useage, some one said it was not meant to make you feel stimulated. This is true, it's meant to calm you down. Both internal and external, however, this is not always enough. Recently adjunct treatments of alpha agonists which also help calm the brain down are being used.

My guess is the op is one of the 80 percent of adhd people with comorbidity of anxiety and he's treating it with a med that treats adhd, not anxiety. Dexedrine and adderall calm my brain down to focus, but often I find when one curtain is pulled down it reveals something else. Like the op, I was in the honey moon stage for a bit, thinking it could cure all that ails me but adhd meds work on one disorder and one disorder alone. In short term they are some times used off label as an anti depressant but this hardly lasts long term.

So for me, what I found worked was adding clonidine, with adderall. I also do take dexedrine at low doses with it as well. For me, if I take a high dose above 20 mgs of either dex or adderall, I get sleepy, foggy and can't function.

When I took dexedrine for a while, I thought tolerances were building but in fact I was taking too much. Dexedrine is such a subtle med for me, that I could not tell when it was working. But it was working. It was only after I stopped taking all meds together that I saw where I needed help and where I didnt. My suggestion for the OP is to stop taking adhd meds, this isnt about trying to reduce tolerance, because tolerance does not actually occur in true adhd people. Our brains just don't transmit the effects the same way other peoples do. It's why these meds are approved for us, because the worst we can get is feeling foggy and sleepy. In a general sense, if you took too much, you'd feel your adhd symptoms worsen. I found that my tolerance went down as I took the meds, so that one day I was taking 60 mgs, then I realized it was making me foggy, so I went down, till now im taking 30 at most and even then I keep having to go down.

Anyways that's my perspective, you need to remember what your full symptoms were before the meds, then find the very minimal dose that helps, you'd be surprised what 2.5 mgs can do. You also need to understand you are facing a confidence issue, in which you think you need meds to operate perfect all the time. This is far from the truth. If you go off em for a few weeks you will see how many things you can do well you thought you couldnt.

Good luck.

I recently switched from mph ( I know, not the same as adderall lol) to this drug with great expectations. I was really disappointed. If anything, it made me more sleepy and out of it, although on the very first day I felt jittery which was weird. Everyone reacts differently to different drugs, but I have a feeling that I've burned out whatever part of my brain is affected by stimulants due to such long term use:(

^^What is your dosage? That is pretty wierd but you're right, everyone reacts differently. It's just that almost everyone Ive talked to prefers amphetamines to methylphenidate.

Dexedrine is better than Adderall in my opinion (as I find the dextrorotatory isomer to be the cleanest, most 'functional' CNS stimulant, compared to levoamphetamine which produces more peripheral stimulation in my experience) but it's 75% the same drug. If you've abused Adderall to the point where it doesn't do squat anymore, Dexedrine won't help.

I've took adderall for years, and I just switched to dex. My personal opinion is dex SUCKS! I can sleep after taking a whooping dose of 100 mg plus! Keep the adderall! Lol. If you hated vyvance you'll hater Dexedrine. It's true it increases a idk to call it, it makes me crave drinking and other bad crap, nothing like adderall. I could actual accomplish a task while taking add. Not so with dex! Crappy drug compared to add. Good luck.

I have went off of mine. Sorry ,I disagree with u, I was a hot mess! I couldn't sleep I gained a lot a weight I put others in danger due to not thinking correctly, example. I drove down a one way high way 2 xs in 1 day, I put my bread in the freezer and my ice cream in the pantry! I lost thinks lie keys ect I've never found again! No joke, lol. I was lazy and slept like a house cat as well. Some people might can stop their med. some like me can not, and I'd never ever suggest it. I went to a Dr. Because he knows what I don't, he knows how to treat people with ADHD or add.

Your right dex won't do squat, however I think adderall has nothing to do with it, dex just quite frankly SUCKS! Lol people trust me, I've lived it I know, there's nothing made better than adderall. Dex sucks, really.

Dexedrine isn't necessarily "stronger" than Adderall...just a smoother version of the same thing. No levoamphetamine, just pure dextroamp. Dex actually puts me to sleep because it's a little *too* smooth, but YMMV.

Dexedrine is like Adderall without the jitteriness and side effects, not to mention much more effective & efficient. It is superior in every single way from the mental stimulation to the gentler physical effects.

I don't find Adderall very effective *due* to the amphetamine the side effects become too much and overtake the ability to focus, also in Adderall the Dexedrine is responsible for most of the stimulation.

To the OP,

Try Desoxyn (or better yet, ice). It will work.

Seriously? He most likely will never get prescribed desoxyn (he posted in 2012), and to tell anyone to try street methamphetamine of unknown origin and purity over their Rx pharmaceutical amphetamines is not only anti harm reduction, but just plain ridiculous.

This thread is from 2012, doubt OP is still around. Closing this.

Status
Not open for further replies.