• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

What are some good books to read for pharmacolog?, Also a question about one I found.

Aetherius Rimor

Bluelighter
I've been researching books online recently to read and learn more, and also have as a reference for pharmacological questions. One book has caught my eye, but there are two editions of it and I'm not sure which to get.

Usually when it comes to editions, a good rule to follow is newer edition is usually the better choice. However two facts makes me skeptical on this particular book.

Here are the links. First the 3rd edition, new price starting at $148 released in 2005

http://www.amazon.com/Color-Atlas-P...=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1336579643&sr=1-2

Then here is the 4th edition, which has "Pocket" added to the front, and a starting price of $41, released in 2010.

http://www.amazon.com/Pocket-Atlas-...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1336579643&sr=1-1

---

Now, due to the addition of the word "Pocket" in front of it, and the $105 cheaper price tag, I'm wondering if it really is the better choice. By all appearances in the description and information I can find about it, it has all the same information as the 3rd edition, just in a different format.

If the 3rd edition has more information, even if a few years out of date, then I'm willing to spend the extra $100 to get that instead. However if the 4th edition really is just as informative, has more recent information, and is $100 cheaper, I definitely would go for it instead.

Does anyone have any information to help me decide which to choose from? All I can see now is a different price and addition of Pocket to the name.

Also, does anyone else have any recommendations for in depth books to learn about pharmacology from. I'm looking for something without a focus on illicit drugs, and on par with something one might read at a university level.

If it's appropriate for me to do so on ADD, I'd also be willing to review the book once I've gotten it and read through it. I originally downloaded a PDF copy of it, and started reading through it, and the book looks amazing. Very detailed pictures, and very informative. Read a couple chapters, but I prefer to have a physical copy of a book (Morality of piracy issues aside).

Now, due to the addition of the word "Pocket" in front of it, and the $105 cheaper price tag, I'm wondering if it really is the better choice. By all appearances in the description and information I can find about it, it has all the same information as the 3rd edition, just in a different format.

The 'pocket' one is 0.1" taller and wider but 0.2" thinner, and 6 pages shorter...

Goodmam & Gilman can also be used as an anvil if you're into blacksmithing.

I found Rang and Dales useful back in undergrad. I haven't read it in a long while, but IIRC it was lacking in the psychedelics and NMDAR antagonist category.

I found Rang and Dales useful back in undergrad. I haven't read it in a long while, but IIRC it was lacking in the psychedelics and NMDAR antagonist category.

I don't think you'll find more than a page dedicated to psychedelics in any pharmacology text. If you want to learn about psychedelics, its best to read every Nichols paper you can get your hands on.

Yea, but some of my higher grad-level neuropharmacology texts have pretty decent psychedelic coverage...

But I do think Rang & Dales is good for getting started, and if you wanna learn Neuroscience, can't do better than Kandel's "Principles of Neural Science"

I like the book Uppers, Downers and All Arounders. It's easy to read, yet includes all the science for overall good content.

I ended up getting a hard copy of Goodman and Gilman. I have to say I'm in love with this book. Thanks for the recommendations guys!