• Welcome Guest

Forum Guidelines Bluelight Rules
    Fun 💃 Threads Overdosed? Click
    D R U G   C U L T U R E

Ray Charles & Dope - How is it possible?

drzing

Bluelighter
I know its not the only example, but he is a good one.

I wonder, how could he play live and record for long hours on IV dope, I guess he must have had a
real strong tolerance or are the old traditional jazz/blues players most likely to be on a speedball combo?

^ My only question after watching that movie is how on earth did he shoot himself up so many times without losing a limb? Maybe they exaggerated in the movie though, because I can't see a blind man buying dope and not getting ripped off (unless he had one exclusive dealer that wanted to keep his business) and then processding to shoot himself up without any complications. I'm sure that it helped that dope was of low quality back then.

Depending on the dose, most people get somewhat energetic from dope. It's not until higher doses that they nod out. Also, like I said before the dope back then sucked, which is why/how people were able to start off on IV heroin with no opiate tolerance and not OD right away. If people did that now they would be dropping like flies. Ray Charles was probably just getting a nice buzz off the dope. Nothing more, nothing less.

yeah, it's really not that surprising to me. I'm no musical virtuoso by a long shot, but I find certain activity's (like playing music) can actually keep you up and energized when your on heroin as compared to others. It's like when You do a shot in your room and you just sit back on your chair and flip through bluelight, or any other website. That nod is going to come.

But if you do your shot in some public bathroom and got to then get out of there and walk to some destination, you don't feel sedated at all (assuming you didn't catch a super strong batch), you just feel euphoric. I also find that while heroin and other opiates are sedating (especially heroin and morphine), they still cause insomnia, and are far inferior as far as sleep aids than say benzodiazepines. I've just always felt sort of funny referring to opiates as "downers". Sure they're CNS depressants, but more in the vein that alchohol is IMO. It's what you do on them that dictates whether you wind up nodding for hours or cleaning your entire house;

yes, a blind man shooting up is pretty damn impressive. but what id really like to witness is a blind man cook up. now that would be a trip!

It's what you do on them that dictates whether you wind up nodding for hours or cleaning your entire house;

I don't know, man. There have been times where I did my drug, and would be active....

....& then I'd be actively nodding out. Almost fell down my stairs that way one night, thank god for that guard rail, lol.

----

In the movie though, didn't he have some chick hitting for him, at least for a little while? I could have sworn that was in that movie. I could be completely wrong though. But I imagine that even with being blind, you would know your body well enough to know what's going on. Especially with your other senses heightened because you're lacking one.

...But what do I know, lol.

^ I remember one of the girls asks him to let her have some so she can enjoy it with him, and he says something like "you don't want no part of this, baby." That's like one of those lines that means well, but probably has the opposite effect. It makes the drug sound even more intriguing, and the person want's to prove that they can handle it. It was in the scene where they drop the dope on the ground and he is picking it up.

I know that his wife catches him by finding his IV equipment, and I know that the guys in his band were shooting him up at first, but I think he ended up doing it on his own. Again, I could be wrong too.

i liked when one of his roadies copped for him and as soon as its in his hands he starts bitching about the weight being light.

ray charles human scale accurate to 1/100th of a gram.

^ Yea. What did he expect when paying with singles and all? :!

Ray Charles, first and foremost, is a musical genius. he played jazz, but most of his live shows were very powerful and impregnated with dirty blues/rock n roll

I'm sure he could find a vein quicker than 75 percent of IV users today ;)

and plus, opiates have always been an aphrodisiac for musicians. they make it very easy to get in the groove and stay in the groove

but still - Ray Charles is Ray Charles

I always found it mighty impressive that he could hit himself too. Hah. But they say blind people are more intuned to psychial feeling to compensate for their lack of site...so maybe he just got really good and feeling where his veins were and then recognizing the feeling of a needle being in the vein. Because it is a disticnt feeling...as a blind person, he probably felt it even more since he couldn't register.

Either way, plenty of musicians throughout time played live and recorded on dope. Some days it hits you harder then others...if you do a lot or get a good batch, but for the most part, you can do anything you can do sober on H. Layne Staley played the entire AIC unplugged set totally strung out and high as a kite..even forgot some song lyrics, but still delivered an amazing performance. I've played tons of shows high too.

because I can't see a blind man buying dope and not getting ripped off
he was a celebrity

they are not going to rip him off, if anything i think they would hook him up with fat and potent bags

surely he had someone else buy the dope for him, that and he probably had dozens of people giving him free samples to ultimately become his main supplier - it's every dealer's dream to sell their shit to anyone that is extra significant in pop culture

I totally can understand why an IV user (or any ROA) would not want to share opiates with his dearlings (addiction potential),
no one wants to be responsible for that kind of shit, but I know it happens all the time, Ray must have just being protective towards
his singer lady at that given time, so she started on booze (and the girls got fired, he has recorded all voices track by track, bless
technology), I am likely to think that his musicians must also have been on dope too as to be able keep up onstage with Ray.

Yes, I do know the blind people do have enhanced senses, I know he would know when he got ripped off either by wheight or by
dope strength (as his dealer got greedy, he started to cut it even more as to enhance profits). I would really like to read the book
from which the movie was made.

That was an interesting fact to know about Billie Holiday, Janes Joplin also used to get ripped off on dope as many others.

Now guys, haven't I made another post in this thread? I have either stumbled on the rules/etiquette or this lame notebook
must have had it spoiled. Sorry if I posted anything wrong.

Well, I think its time to plug the guitar... I'm thinking about recomissioning my les paul, I don't feel like letting any of those butchers change my frets, no matter the few dents on them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone think that maybe he was speed balling?

Doubt a celeb would get low quality product.
Bet you anything the drugs he could get his hands on > The drugs available on the street today to most people
Ray-Charles-Photo1.jpg

Looks pretty awake and high on life to me.

I'm sure celebrities get drugs thrown at them all the time. It's like sex, who wouldn't want to be able to say they shot up with their favorite musician or whatever?

As for IVing, I do have a hard time imagining he could hit a vein consistently, but who knows? Maybe he just IM'd it?

I guess he had friends he trusted enough, at least thats how the movie portrayed it, haha. I really don't know but have thought about this before.

I really dug that movie, by the way. Hah. Jamie Fox was pretty bad ass as Ray Charles and really perfected his voice for the part. The movie makes me want to shoot dope and write music.. I could live without the first one but... the second one is pretty cool and I'm always looking for motivation on that front. I'm totally going to watch that movie again.

Yeah this thread has made me want to watch that movie again.