• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin Bioavailability when u hit an artery by mistake?!?? PLEASE HELP

livetheopiatedream

Bluelighter
My boyfriend missed a vein n is pretty sure e hit an artery IV ing his .1 heroin shot about 5 minutes ago...

Now I know that's really dangerous and cause cause a whole host of complications- but spare me- I know that full well.

He asked if he just completely wasted his shot. I don't know- maybe some of u do....???

So what is the bioavailability (if any) for H when injected into an artery by mistake?!

Thanks in advance for all of your help guys!!!!!

Peace n love :)

He hit an artery and his main worry is whether he'll get high?! wut

Someone with IV experience please chime in here, I'm not sure if he will need to go to the hospital or not. Either way, keep an eye on it, and keep us updated.

Does it really matter? It's not like he is gonna repeat it (on purpose at least). He should just learn from the mistake and avoid hitting an artery in the future

I don't think the OP is asking if it's a good ROA (clearly not) but wondering how high he/she will get/if it's a complete waste.

As said, if you did hit an arty definitely keep an eye on it to see if you need medical attention. That's the main concern. I'm just shocked you did the whole SHOT in the artery, couldn't he notice right away and pull the needle out (and finish on another hit)?

Your bf must absolutely must stop your shot the second he realises it is in an artery. I know you say you are aware of the complications, but as you're posting on a forum asking about bioavailability instead of taking your boyfriend to the ER I think it's worth repeating them.. Injecting into an artery can cause arteriospasm which can cut off the blood supply to your limb, causing gangrene and sometimes necessitating an amputation. If you damage the artery it can cause long-term circulation issues as well. My advice is always to get to checked by a doctor ASAP as they can assess the blood flow to the limb and ensure your boyfriend is in no danger of needing an amputation.

To answer your question, if the shot has entered your bloodstream then it's bioavailability will be 100% but if the artery spasms or some leaks out (arteries have a narrower lumen than veins) then it will be significantly reduced. I can't stress enough though how this is the least of his worries..

I'd also really encourage him to familiarise himself with the difference between an artery and vein. Arteries are pulsatile, veins not; blood colour is a poor indication, but bright red blood should make you suspicious that it is an artery - same with pain, as arteries have their own nerve supply and so can (sometimes) hurt more. Taking a look at vein/artery maps (have a search of google) can help too but people's anatomy can vary.

Good luck!

He didn't realize till it was mostly in. I asked for everyone to not just tell me it's rally bad I know that and so does he, and we did keep an eye on it, he's fine...
It was more out of curiosity... Thanks Effie for Ur answer that's all I wanted to know I searches and could not find n e thing.
He couldn't tell if it got him any higher cuz it was his 3rd shot and it wast very big .05.... So no we couldn't tell before bluelight could tell me.
And clearly we would stop injecting the second we noticed it's an artery ... Sometimes it just doesn't work out perfectly when IV ing. I read all the HR for IV threads so it's not like I'm a reckless idiot who does it all the time. Well I guess I'm defending him. But I wasn't watching him and I guess he just didn't see it till like 3/4 was gone it was kinda dark where we were so hard to see it properly- we know the diff between arteries and veins and know their maps pretty well respectively ... We rarely hit arteries and when we do we pull he needle out rigt away an put pressure n elevate n keep watch. Just this time he dint see it was bright pulsing blood due to lack of light I think or maybe he was just being a fool lol I dunno

someone should quote that for the "you might be a junky if..." thread

Lol not denying it!^ trying to get off was 25 days clean then relapsed once yesterday- at least no physical WD from it :) just made the paws flare up

And if any negative symptoms from the shot presented I would have taken him to a doc immediately it was more of a curiosity thing. We didn't really care if the shot was wasted. I'm surprised he managed to inject about 30-40 units of it too. Like how do u not notice that? But hey what's done is done he best just learn for next time or better yet quit

Glad you know all the dangers and the difference between veins/arteries, sorry for repeating it but it's so important I thought I better had. Glad he's okay too! Definitely something to learn from for next time though as he was lucky, and quitting is always a good idea :)

I appreciate the warning . If I didn't know already it would b valuable info. I take my HR seriously but he doesn't it's really annoying. I have had to resuscitate him one too many times for my liking. The idiot always shoots too much despite me constantly telling him to fuckin put a little back so I don't wind up slapping his blue face before extensive CPR. Ugh. He is lucky I know my shit in that regard that's all I have to say

I'm surprised that you're worried about whether or not you'll feel you're shot after going into an artery THEN doing the shot. I'm no doctor, but I'd say the BA would be pretty low if anything at all. I've always been told to consult a medical professional after hitting an artery.

Lol u Guys need to read the post I said I understand the medical risk aspect and I didn't ask this question e did and I didn't know the answer so I asked here. So if really ragging on the wrong person . I am aware he should bs more concerned with his health

And Accordig to Effie it would be high BA. I believe her. Unless someones got proof otherwise.

And FYI he is fine now so no need for anyone else to point out it's dangerous.

^ yeah - from a HR perspective we need to stress how dangerous injecting into an artery is, but I don't believe in misinformation and a drug getting into systemic circulation (veins and arteries) by default has a bioavailability of 100%. However, as I said, if the artery spasms or if the shot partially leaks out because arteries are narrower than veins then the bioavailability would be less. Obviously arterial injection is a very unsafe ROA, none of us are disputing that :)

If you hit an artery, the blood isn't being carried to your heart and into your brain...it's being pumped into your extremities. There wont be any high so BA is irrelevant. Aside from all of the dangers of hitting an artery already mentioned, it is a waste of your shot and hurts like hell.

^The drug is in solution in the blood. It'll make it's way around.

Yes but there will be no rush and the high will be severely reduced as the blood gets filtered through your body.

I'm almost certain he didn't hit an artery.. I've never IV'd but a lot of friends used to, I've seen them hit arteries a number of times, the second the pin has hit the artery they've screamed the place down and pulled the pin out, they didn't even get to push the plunger it's that painful.. Their leg ballooned in a matter of seconds and struggle to walk. If none of that happened then I seriously doubt it's gone anywhere near an artery.

Holy shit^ ! I know the symptoms of a real problem (Ie go to a doc now!) after arterial injection that include the ballooning n pain so I was watching closely for then. And Yeaa I know we gotta stress HR Effie that's y I mentioned I knew it was bad news in my original post. I learn tonnes of valuable HR info from BL everyday :)

He said it hurt after a little but not during the shot.... Who knows maybe it was a weirdly bright vein but I watched it in case better safe than sorry .

I told him off for asking if the shot will still work before wondering if he was gonna be ok, but then I realized I didn't know the answer to that question and got curious. Thus I posted to ask after searching unsuccessfully.

Thanks all for responses :)

Like I said I haven't got first hand experience of it, only what I've witnessed. Every time I've seen it happen, you know it's happened, obviously everyone's pain threshold is different and maybe different arteries are more sensitive, the times I've seen it happen it's always been in the groin which is home to the biggest artery ( I think?? ).. In short, at least he got his other digs and most importantly he's ok.. :)