• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Anyone had their HPPD go away completely???

Gmo

Greenlighter
I wasn't sure if I should put this here or in the psychedelic section, so if it needs to be moved go ahead......but anyhow, I'm varying degrees of HPPD for like a year and a half now and I'm starting to get kinda sick of it. I've been sober now for around 6-7 months and it has lessened somewhat but it's still noticeable and it's starting to really drive me up a wall. I was just wondering if anyone's had their symptoms mostly disappear.

I have :)

I have had HPPD twice in my life. In highschool, once I stopped my gross over-indulgence in psychedelics, it went away in one year.

The second time, in early college (where I had been using ridiculous amounts of RC's and classical psychs, most keenly DMT, Mescaline and 2C-E/I), I had HPPD for almost three years. It's a controversial diagnosis and it's truly frustrating when you suffer from it and doctors look at you as though you were still tripping on LSD. I made sure to exercise plenty, revert to a healthier diet and take supplements that promote neurogenesis (I can give you a list if you'd like of what I took).

I'm not sure which was the smoking gun in terms of full-scale recovery, but after a while of abstinence and healthy living, I began to notice the symptoms diminish - slowly I should add, but they did diminish. If you say you have 6-7 months sober, you are on a very good start towards being potentially HPPD-free, my friend.

Check out Wikipedia's page on HPPD, and in-specific, the references section, for more resources to check out regarding it. PM me if you have any questions - I really mean it when I say I suffered with this for many years and am well-familiar with how frustrated and (perhaps) worried you may be feeling right now.

Congratulations, by the way, on your length of time sober :D That's fantastic news!!

~ Vaya

Vaya, I am interested to know what you took to promote neurogenesis for HPPD.

Thanks for the reply, Vaya. I'd also like to hear what supplements you took.......and whenever you recovered did you become completely sober???

I suffered from HPPD from the ages of about 19-23. Symptoms have almost complety gone now due to abstinence from psychedelics, I think at least.

I still suffer mildly from HPPD, haven't touched psychedelics in about 6 months really, mine has improved by a long shot since day one. Better diet, exercise, and staying away from dissociatives and hallucinogens has helped big time. I'm just playing the waiting and hoping game now. I also would like to see a list for the supplements you took Vaya =) Brings a new meaning to "blind leading the blind"

^^^^Are you fully sober or just abstaining from psychedelics

I've been fully clean for 90 something days. For me, oddly enough after tripping on mushrooms or DMT, my HPPD would go away for roughly a day after I was done tripping. Maybe researchers could look into it, I've had a few other friends notice their overall eyesight improve for a bit after DMT or mushrooms.

I have noticed a drastic improvement in my HPPD. Mine was mostly due to stimulants which I have been clean for 2 years from. I'm not quite sure I remember what clear vision looks like anymore though so I don't know how to tell how back to baseline I am.

I have :)

I have had HPPD twice in my life. In highschool, once I stopped my gross over-indulgence in psychedelics, it went away in one year.

The second time, in early college (where I had been using ridiculous amounts of RC's and classical psychs, most keenly DMT, Mescaline and 2C-E/I), I had HPPD for almost three years. It's a controversial diagnosis and it's truly frustrating when you suffer from it and doctors look at you as though you were still tripping on LSD. I made sure to exercise plenty, revert to a healthier diet and take supplements that promote neurogenesis (I can give you a list if you'd like of what I took).

I'm not sure which was the smoking gun in terms of full-scale recovery, but after a while of abstinence and healthy living, I began to notice the symptoms diminish - slowly I should add, but they did diminish. If you say you have 6-7 months sober, you are on a very good start towards being potentially HPPD-free, my friend.

Check out Wikipedia's page on HPPD, and in-specific, the references section, for more resources to check out regarding it. PM me if you have any questions - I really mean it when I say I suffered with this for many years and am well-familiar with how frustrated and (perhaps) worried you may be feeling right now.

Congratulations, by the way, on your length of time sober :D That's fantastic news!!

~ Vaya

Hi Vaya,

Did your HPPD go away completely? What symptoms did you have? Which supplements did you take?

Please inform us.

I did way too many club drugs from the ages of 14-24. I had visual hallucinations for a couple years of total abstinence. I thought it was kind of cool to tell you the truth. Nothing that really affected my life i would however see fractals constantly. I thought my brain was totally fried. Everything however eventually subsided. I still trip about once every year or two and it never leads to anything long term. Except the realization that i should have never used them for recreation or an escape. My trips are tremendously fulfilling and are inspring now. I feel i should add to that statement because i am contradicting what i posted in another thread. They are fulfilling now oddly enough due to how spiritually whole sobriety made me. I can take them knowing i am semi comfortable with how my karma on this earth has been. God i sound like a hippie. No offense i am one on the inside.

Last edited:
I still have HPPD. Mostly after a heroic doses of DMT + Shrooms + LSD all at once.

Yes.
When went through about a year binge of psychedelic use, using anything from MDMA, LSD, LSA, DMT, DXM, MXE, 2CC,2CI, 2CE, shrooms... we would mix the stuff too, sometimes I'd be on 3 of those at once, and some other crazy shit I can't pronounce.. but after that long stint I had severe depersonalization and hppd, took about 6 months to go away. I feel perfectly normal now.

I still take x about once every month or so.

I still have it from pot :\ I suppose the fact that I'm cutting down has been helping... but I'm assuming it really doesn't stop until you do huh?

cutting back is never a bad thing. i can't say for sure but for the most part with hallucinogens i think complete abstinence is what it takes. maybe even though cutting back on more trippy or potent weeds or not eating it, if you live in CA that is all the shit they have out there lol.

I replied to this thread in mid-2012. And for the three and a half years since, I have been receiving private message after private message requesting further information on the specific measures that I took. Therefore, I thought I would try and post several of the methods - as well as their justifications - within this thread for others to see and to use.

When I was struggling with my HPPD, I took - as should anyone struggling with the same thing - a pretty thorough look at my lifestyle and the consequences of my health-related choices. To be frank about it, I didn't have much to be proud of. I had been using drugs extensively for years at the time. Most of my money went to my various 'recreational hobbies,' and I was sustaining myself nutritionally on cheap, very unhealthy sources of food. I had inadequate hydration, exercised little, and took no vitamins or supplements. Therefore, I reckoned, it might take a complete overhaul of my lifestyle in order to conquer the unwavering foe called HPPD. And I was correct in that assumption.

I began by beginning to take in a much healthier diet, and I think that this - coupled with a dramatic increase in hydration - should be anyone's first steps. A proper diet provides the body with the nutrients and represents the body's stuff of raw power required to initiate and sustain the reparative process. And since virtually all of the internal workings of the human body rely entirely on the presence of water in the body, proper hydration will do nothing but help ensure that these processes continue uninterrupted, and at full-strength.

In terms of supplementing with vitamins, I chose two areas on which to focus my efforts: restoring my hepatic health (liver) and aiding in neurogenesis (nerves/neurons).

1.) Liver
I wanted to improve my liver's function and, at the same time, detoxify it from the years and years of abuse it had undergone. To achieve this, I tried various herbal and vitamin elements, including the following:
  • Milk thistle
  • Alpha Lipoic Acid
  • SAMe
  • Licorice root extract
  • Vitamin E

2. Nerves
Foremost, I knew the most important aspect of my recovery was treating my nervous system; dysfunction at this level is the primary vehicle for the manifestation of HPPD symptoms. I knew from my conscious experience and struggles with the symptoms of HPPD that my nervous system was stuck in a behavioral loop that would indicate it was functioning as though in the presence of noxious/psychedelic stimuli, even though it wasn't.

• Vitamin B spectrum (including B1, 5, 6 & 12)
  • Noopept [in conjunction with]
  • Choline Bitartrate (though better sources of choline do exist)
  • Selenium
  • Zinc
  • Magnesium
  • Protein powder
  • Calcium
  • Vitamin C

I apologize if I missed any items, as it's been several years since I last had any HPPD symptoms and my memory, though it has rebounded so greatly, partially evades me on this particular topic. If I happen to recall anything else in my everyday travels, I'll definitely return and post it in here. And lastly, I truly hope that this ends up helping someone in the future.

Much love, and remember - this takes time. I stuck with this regimen for close to a year before I began to see positive results. But the results were swift when they did appear, and I was 'myself' again within two to three months of the first symptom relief.

~ vaya

Hi Vaya, I know this post is kind of old, and I don't know if you are still on this forum, but did all your symptoms diminish? The visuals too? My biggest struggle are the afterimages...

Since I've been clean, my symptoms have diminished. I still get some halos with light sources and some other color issues though I may just have color blindness I never noticed before lol

Great to hear bro! :) I've had halos for my entire life so i'm not really bothered by them, and a lot of my friends also have those in certain lightings. How did your palinopsia/afterimages fade away? Are they completely gone right now? Did you just notice them becoming less detailed and stuff?

They slowly faded. One day I just kinda noticed it and was like "huh, they're gone".