• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

The Official 2012 NFL Thread v. All aboard the Kaepernick bandwagon!

Status
Not open for further replies.
you and the rest of the world, me included. Miami can't draft its way out of a paper bag.

Liked the intro to the draft with Nas
didnt like how they had ex-players call out the picks like stop draggin it out

Steelers pick up 2 OL studs. Maybe there will finally be some diversity in the offense next season.

lol@Jets' draft picks

peyton-manning-broncos-jersey-18.jpg

also glad they got Brock Osweiler from ASU. he'll learn good under peyton.

Eagles got Fletcher Cox who looks like a load in the middle which should be good for the D line.

Not sure why Tannehill went so high am I the only one who doesnt see whats so great about this guy?

His wife is a 10.

LT1web.jpg

Srsly though, I like Tannehill. I think he will be good.

Maybe not top 10 overall good, but the dolphins know what they need to win, and that is competent QB.

49ers drafted a wide receiver, AJ Jenkins, at #30 overall, Alex Smiths excuses for why he is not an elite QB are evaporating. He needs to have a better year yardage wise than last year.

We also got LaMichael James in the 2nd round, I think his pro potential is underrated even though is is on the smaller side. He ate Stanford alive when Harbaugh was the coach there so there is probably some PAC 12 bias at work here.

Last edited:
Devon Wylie is definitely the best Fresno State player in this draft. Got taken by the Chiefs in the 4th round. He has good potential as a slot receiver.

Tight ends still did not get early selections in this draft. Which allowed the colts to draft Luck and 2 top tight ends. Reminds me of when the Pats stocked up on tight ends. Watch out for the Luck/Fleener rookie combo next year, could be even better than Dalton/Green last year.

Colts/Bengals/Rams did well on paper.

Last edited:
I'm actually kind of liking The Dolphins draft this year.

Tannehill is a meh, but I know the franchise had to take him (and whether he succeeds or fails I'm glad they did, the phins need to draft every QB they come across until they find the right one). Getting Martin out of Stanford and Miller from Miami where they did? Fuck yeah. Miller is a first round talent who dropped because of injury risk, and he went exactly where I would have picked him up, regardless of need.

Olivier Vernon makes me scratch my head, however. Sure, he's talented, but the kid relied on his athleticism and never lived up to his potential at Miami. He's also the one kid who really, really fucked up in the Shapiro scandal, so there's that. High risk, high reward I suppose, but when a kid has a reputation for being lazy I don't think he should be drafted in the third round.

i love what the rams did in the draft, i don't know anything about the players, i just really trust in fisher, and from what i read the rams front office was thrilled with their results

i'm thinking fisher knew the day after he got fired he was going to take just a one year break and hoping he used that time for hardcore scouting, they drafted a few players out of dinky colleges(wr brian quick out of appalachian state, a cb out of montana, kicker from missouri western, and running back out of abilene christian)

his past has proven he can discover successful sleepers, for example, cortland finegan in round 7 out of samford

they drafted jarious jenkins, i honestly never heard of him prior to this, but from what i hear he was a lock down cb during his freshman year as a gator and could have been a top 10 pick, but had to transfer and there are some character issues that i really didn't even give a fuck about, i want scumbags on the team, they are usually awesome

Last edited:
Who you guys picking to win it all this year? Im going with the Eagles only because thats my team but if I had to pick another team Id say New England. Denver is my wild card I think they can make a run but only if Manning stays healthy

^ how do you think the eagles' game will differ this year than last year?

i like the look of san francisco and the patriots. the pats d looks better this year and they have brandon lloyd to throw to now, too.

go pats!

alasdair

^ how do you think the eagles' game will differ this year than last year?

i like the look of san francisco and the patriots. the pats d looks better this year and they have brandon lloyd to throw to now, too.

go pats!

alasdair

1. DeSean Jackson finally got a new contract, should actually try this year
2. LaSean McCoy is coming off a breakout year, hes going to get better this year (id say hes top 3 rb already$
3. O-Line had a full year to gel (had some rookies) and will be better
4. Drafted a big DT to pair with Cullen Jenkins, with Trent Cole and Babin on the outside I like that d line
5. Traded for DeMeco Ryans, a very good ILB
6. Asomugh cant be that bad again this year as he was last year, unless he is a bust which I dont think is true
7. Michael Vick should have better protection this year (see point #3)
8. Andy Reid knows this is in all likelihood his last season unless he wins a super bowl (the grey area is if he wins 1 or two playoff games but not the SB, idk what that would entail id still fire him)
9. Had a rookie kicker last year that missed some crucial field goals (SF game), should be better he is supposed to be one of the best college kickers ever or something (I dont follow kickers like that)
10.Some distractions are gone ("Dream Team" moniker, DeSean contract, Asante Samuel)
11. The LB they drafted in the 2nd round could be a big upgrade, he is kind of undersized but time will tell

Really the only thing that got worse happened because Jason Peters (one of the best LTs in the league) is out for the year due to injury.

Basically everyone I talk to is looking at this season as Andys last chance at a SB. He has a full year to get these guys to gel and win and theres no excuse to not make the playoffs. So much talent on offense and the D is markedly better at their biggest weakness (run defense).

Keys to the season: Mike Vick doesnt miss more than 3-4 games, DeSean plays how he is capable (opens up the offense for everyone else), O line is reliable (doesnt have to be all-pro, vick is shifty, but he was getting stomped at the beginning of last year), and last but not least if Fletcher Cox and Mychael Kendricks (1st & 2nd rd draft picks) are capable-to-good players we will be a lot better on D.

It all hinges on Vick IMO. He regressed a bit last year and was hurt but I think he comes back with a big year. I was really getting into football when he was coming out of college and he is one of my favorite players to watch. Ive never seen anyone at the QB position as electric as him. Sure guys like Randall Cunningham, McNabb (the first
few years), Steve Young, and others are good at scrambling, but Vick is on another level. If they cut back on turnovers this offense is going to be top 5 in the league easily

Feels so good to have unbased sources calling sf for the championship! I'm not going to say I think they'll win, but I think they have a good shot. The eagles finished very strong last year, I think they have what it takes to win, but they might just be in the toughest division in the nfl this year. If I had to pick 5 teams with the best odds at a title I would pick sf, baltimore, green bay, nyg and new england. Picking winners this early really is a crapshoot though.

I like SF but I just dont think Alex Smith is gonna be the guy to take them to a SB

^ Everything is in place for him to be a top 10 QB this year, this is his chance. He gets bagged on a lot for being picked #1 overall and failing to live up to expectations but he has shown he can be clutch when it counts and can be a good QB in most situations.

People act like Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers are the only reason their teams win championships. Brady was not good in the playoffs last year except vs denver (the years he won it was when Bellichek was taping practices and had an elite DEF), and Rodgers had the #1 def in the league when he won it. Even if Smith inst a top tier QB the niners can win it with strong DEF/ST and a supporting cast on offense.

Ill be exited to see how LaMichael James turns out.

Last edited:
Tom Brady was the only reason the Pats made the super bowl last year... their defense was pretty bad. And Aaron Rodgers also had a lot of guys injured the year they won too. Im not saying hes a bad QB I just dont see him as good enough to lead a team to a SB victory. The Eagles had a pretty good defense in 04, but McNabb was throwin up on the sidelines. QB is still the most important position, and the last team with a mediocre QB to win a SB was the Bucs and that defense was pretty stacked. but the nfl is different now

^ People thought Eli was a mediocre QB until last year. He, much like Smith, has taken a lot of criticism over being drafted high and not always producing. We will see if he can maintain his "elite" status over the next couple years.

I think a lot of people thought he was good, but not great. Up until last year Alex Smith was considered a bust.

I think the 9ers win the west though, with the other three teams all finishing around 6-11/5-12

I think the 49ers have a GREAT chance to at least get back to the NFC championship game. I can definitely see the Pats representing the AFC in the superbowl again, but the NFC picture seems to be a lot more crowded to me. Hoping the Eagles can step it up, and I think theres legitimate reasons to think they will (as described in the nice long list by shimazu above), have really liked most of the off-season/draft moves theyve taken. As always though, only time will tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.