• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Benzo's and opiates - Really that dangerous?

9 hours ago I took 6mg of Xanax due to tolerance. I had a fusion of my L4 S1 a few months ago and am tollerent​ to Oxycodone​ as well. I am ready to take 3 30mg pills and wondering since it's been 9 hrs since the Xanax if I will be in the clear? I know someone​ with no tolerance would have an issue with this dose but what are your thoughts?

Without reading through nine pages, I'm sure plenty of people have said the danger of the combo depends on what your tolerance to each is and if you know what you're doing -- and I would say the same.

That being said, for someone who doesn't have a tolerance to one or either, and isn't entirely experienced with one or either, it can be very dangerous. At about 19 years old, before I had a huge opiate tolerance, I ran into a scary situation where a coworker of mine gave me his 75mg take-home methdone dose and I gave him some Valium, bad things happened, and in the heat of the moment I ingested about 200 mg of Valium with the methadone I had taken. I don't even remember getting home that day (a 45 minute drive), and the next thing I knew I woke up being dragged into my girlfriend's mom's car to go to the ER. I probably would have lived but I had lost basically all function of my limbs and couldn't speak. It was pretty scary as that was the first close call I'd ever had.

Years later I had an even closer call with Valium and alcohol, which is definitely more dangerous of a combo. That time I stopped breathing completely and was kept alive on a ventilator for three days. But that's a whole other story...

I've used benzos and opiates together many, many times since and have had no problem, since I'm very familiar with how much of each I can handle, even taken together. Still, it's certainly not recommended...

It's dangerous because many drug users are not too bright, you and I on the other hand will be most likely be fine.

I'm not sure where I should start this thread. My son went to a rehab center to get help with his anxiety and depression, a dual diagnosis center. He didn't make it one day. I received a call the morning after he arrived telling me that he had passed away and they had no answers as to why. In relentless search and questioning we have his charts showing that they had given him suboxen and Valium with the knowledge that he came in with a current subscription of klonopin. He called us at 10pm to tell us he was doing good, and that he would call us the next day, goodnight and he loved us. Then at 8:30am I received a call the next morning telling me he had passed away. If anyone knows or can help us to understand why, my wife and I would love the help. He was 21 years old. The only thing we have is the records of what they had given him. The EMT report said that when they arrived around around 7:30am he was cold to the touch. Please help us with anything we may be missing here, or if his death could have been caused by the combination of the three drugs they put him in. Thank you.

Any advice would help please

HI I'm kinda new to this so please bare with me. I need some info on a few things first and foremost I'm a severe opiate addict... or at least that's what it says on my suboxone script smh my doctors a dick anyway. I've been on suboxone for over a year now and so far so good I had to start because my mother overdosed in front of me on H. So using really wasn't an option plus I hated having to look for drus spending everyone's money ect. But last year after her passing I bEgan an in home health position and have work for a few different families but just recently my new patient was prescribed liquid ativan 5 times a day due to all of his illnesses and I've been addicted to benzos before as well. So I would snag a little here and there to help with my anxiety. But the suboxone doc would kick me out if he knew and just recently it got worse because he's also prescribed xanax now too. So I've been taking it now every day in high volumes like 2 1/2 mg of each together with my subs and I would say that it's been about a week straight now this time before would be one day a week. We'll I quit the job yesterday because I knew sooner or later I would get caught. And I only had 10 .5 xanax left and now I've only got 2 and no ativan. What is going to happen when I run out? How long will this take to get out of my system and how bad will the withdrawal be?? I have enough clean pee to last me for 3 drug screens which are once a week but how bad will the withdrawal be this time and how long until it's totally out of my system???? Please help I can't lose my suboxone seriously ill lose all my other jobs
... hope to hear from u soon and thank you

First of all I'm so sorry for your loss I've lost a number of friends and my own mother due to benzos and opiates taken together with that being said it was neglagence on their part to give him suboxone and any benzo at all it is not ok with the death the doctor should lose his license. it's a state regulation because the 2 combined cause respiratory failure. I know it won't bring your son back but I would sue the physician and the facility for malpractice because if it wasn't for that your son would be alive and hopefully with you doing this no one else will have to go threw what you have!!!! I hope this helps and I wish you the very best

I've always had the fear of shooting more dope during a benzo blackout leading to overdose. Benzos can be a blessing for the first days of withdrawl. Pot in my opinion is the safest combination with either opiates or benzos, worst case scenario you smoke more pot than intended...

I've always had the fear of shooting more dope during a benzo blackout leading to overdose. Benzos can be a blessing for the first days of withdrawl. Pot in my opinion is the safest combination with either opiates or benzos, worst case scenario you smoke more pot than intended...
Damn, that sounds like a likely scenario! Btw, what's more dangerous subs/benzos, or methadone/benzos?

I think methadone/benzo is the worst combination. Methadone will be on your bloodstream 24/7, and it's ugly to come off. On the other hand benzodiazepines will keep you trapped as you'll believe everything is under control. It will block your normal day by day anxiety until you forget how feeling nervous can be both common but also normal. At some point you'll develop tolerance, use more and by the time you realize you need to quit it's already too late for smoothness withdrawals.

They both can be a great tool to get you out of rock bottom, come off of street drugs, and get you "clean" and well but imo it only works under medical supervision and for a limited amount of time just to allow you to get your life back.

I think methadone/benzo is the worst combination. Methadone will be on your bloodstream 24/7, and it's ugly to come off. On the other hand benzodiazepines will keep you trapped as you'll believe everything is under control. It will block your normal day by day anxiety until you forget how feeling nervous can be both common but also normal. At some point you'll develop tolerance, use more and by the time you realize you need to quit it's already too late for smoothness withdrawals.

They both can be a great tool to get you out of rock bottom, come off of street drugs, and get you "clean" and well but imo it only works under medical supervision and for a limited amount of time just to allow you to get your life back.

my mate lives in Scotland and its a huge problem for the country - lots of ODs.
they call that specific combo of meth and diazepam the Glasgow Coma Cocktail

but yeah, its never a good idea to double down on opi's and benzos; my first (accidental) OD was from mixing heroin with 2mgs clonazolam

Under medical supervision is key... and even that is no guarantee. So many people killed on the operating table, simply by dose mg/kg miscalculation. So if you're at home playing street doctor with street opiates watch out

hi all I'm wondering if waiting the typical 4 hours after taking opiate to take benzo is in fact a sufficient amount of time to totally rule out the risk? Thoughts on the "cushiontime" ?

Never had problems with low doses of benzos, but I find benzos to ruin the nice opioid feeling at least when taken on higher doses, I'm not really into nodding so I never have mixed opioids with other drugs, only one time with 1,5g pregabalin with poppy tea, it was weird not bad but not so good, so next day I jsut took the poppy tea and felt much better.

hi all I'm wondering if waiting the typical 4 hours after taking opiate to take benzo is in fact a sufficient amount of time to totally rule out the risk? Thoughts on the "cushiontime" ?
If it's a shorter acting opiate 4-6hours should be sufficient, longer acting ones such as methadone present a greater risk profile and should be mixed with extreme caution or ideally not at all

Thank you for the reply DoctorMolecule. Much appreciated. I will try not to keep stressing on it then so much then. Mine is oxy, so short-acting & try to wait 4-6 hours when taking temazepam.

Thank you for the reply DoctorMolecule. Much appreciated. I will try not to keep stressing on it then so much then. Mine is oxy, so short-acting & try to wait 4-6 hours when taking temazepam.
If you're taking temazapam for sleep, ideally if you were to take it at midnight, your last dose of oxy should be around 6p.

I'm taking both Oxycodone and Alprazolam and ive never had a scare! They are in fact dangerous to combine but its highly dosage dependent. For example for a naive person on both drugs, 10mg of Oxy + 0.5mg would be safe imo. With my tolerance to both drugs I can take 40mg Oxy + 4mg Xanax and ill feel great, I will nod but ive never blacked out nor have I been close to blacking out. So as I said, its dosage dependent and some common sense.

I've combined opiates+benzos+booze way more than once, and it does feel like the danger ain't as big as described. The thing with too many depressants though, is that you never realy feel how endangered you are.
When Im so relaxed-hardly awake-if awake, I can't realy say how my breath works, and once I remembered to observe it, it was realy slow, though I didn't feel it and wouldn't notice that if I didn't remember to observe it.

One of the biggest dangers is amnesia. You could forget that you already dosed or redosed.