• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Benzo's and opiates - Really that dangerous?

The case of Transcendence (http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/threads/647330-30mg-zolpidem-and-60mg-oxy) was the last example how small amounts of benzo's can be fatal with opioids. Even with no tolerance I couldn't believe that was to be fatal, but neither did he and paid the price. I have did that kind of combination numerous times but didn't think that zolpidem in fact could be especially deadly as it was in his case (probably).

I Overdosed twice from this combination, one 10 mg valium and a normal shot of dope

Yep it is indeed scary, you can usually tell you have gone over board and you will try to take deeper breathes but there is like a pressure in your chest stopping you from breathing all the way in. It's a very panicky feeling, i'm glad i never really od'd from it.

I've overdosed from this combination, in specific 3-4mg of Etiz and .5 IV heroin. It just felt like a decent rush, then according to my friends I drifted off and needed to be resuscitated. Don't have any recollection of it. Please proceed with caution. I've done amounts 3x exceeding the aforementioned dose, it's a very unpredictable combination.

tonight im gonna be doing 1mg etizolam and roughly 150-160mg codiene with weed smoked throughout. safe?

They are dangerous but I have found that if you ask about combining the two on a forum everybody wants to cover their back (rightfully) as nobody would like a death on their on conscience so they do tend to overstate the point somewhat. It is possible to do both and be fine though. You just have to know your limits. One of my favourite highs is Poppy Pod Tea and a couple of valium. I like nothing nicer than nodding the night away with that combo and I am yet to die.

i love opiates and benzos together. Benzos chill me out and the opiates give me that euphoria, interest in doing things, general sense of fun. Benzos alone suck (other than etizolam). Even if i take 4-5mg clonazepam i'm still bored, if i were to take a sufficient dose of opiates i wouldn't be bored at all. I always get anxious mixing them because of all the stories i've read on here, so for now, it's one or the other, which sucks tbh.

The time I ODd I blacked out and had no clue what I was doing. My parents said they found me facedown on my keyboard, with bluelight up

I was on a mix of valium and roxicodone. Usually j needed only 20mgs and 30-60 mgs roxies, but then I took 50 mg valium and 90 mg oxycodone. The only thing I remember is swallowing the pills

yup..you probably won't die t6apb.

you might if you change up dosages though.

i overdosed on klonopin and methadone..only alive because
somebody found me, and apparently wanted me alive..
or just off their bathroom floor. not sure..cuz they wouldn't
talk to me after that day.

i will still mix diaz & codeine.
i would never mix with a stronger opiate than that..
because narcan is awful.
the most important part is understanding the risks
from the decisions you're planning on making.
there are 80+ posts here to help you understand the risk..
which is very real.

They are dangerous but I have found that if you ask about combining the two on a forum everybody wants to cover their back (rightfully) as nobody would like a death on their on conscience so they do tend to overstate the point somewhat..

I don't think it is overstating, it's just that this has surprised countless of people and some of them are dead. I thought it was "safe" until I joined this forum and investigated this, I'm totally convinced it can never be safe enough. You just can't see it coming always no matter how well you think you know your limits.

i don't believe it's overstating either.
the risk is real.
the forum is centered on harm reduction..
which i consider risk reduction.
the greatest way to reduce the risk in this situation is
either cut out the benzo or the opiate.

I thought it was "safe" until I joined this forum and investigated this, I'm totally convinced it can never be safe enough.
^^that just means bl did it's job;)

well im on it now, upped my etizolam to 1.5mg and had 150mg codiene.

i dont think it would be much if i wasnt smoking weed, which complements it awesomely

I'm one of the guys that's OD'ed on the combination too (Opana, oxycodone and Xanax), unsure of how much I consumed of each over the course of that day but obviously it was enough. I didn't get hit with Narcan, or end up in a hospital, but I did spend an entire night fighting off the urge to fall asleep. I actually did fall out twice and awoke gasping for breath and could tell I hadn't been breathing for some time. I got _very_ lucky that night. These were not "out for 15 minute" episodes either, there are points in that night where I was out cold for at least an hour or more (I know because the TV was on Adult Swim and a different show would be on when I came to)

Like a lot of people I would read the stories of benzo+opiate OD on bluelight and thought it wouldn't happen to me. I had a decent tolerance to both, I knew my limits, and I was pretty careful about not testing the waters too much. But all it took was one day of freebies combined with working on a project where I wasn't paying attention to what was begin handed to me and that all went out the window.

My buddy was busting down Opana ERs and Roxis probably every 15-30 minutes and just passing me the plate, his tolerance was a lot higher than my own, we both had consumed 3mg of Xanax right off the bat when he showed up and I forget how many more he handed me over the course of the day. We didn't realize how much we'd done until 9 hours later when I dropped him off and he peeked in his bottle. Which just goes to show how easy it is to assume you're okay.

I don't make a habit of driving when I'm fucked up. I felt fine when we left my house, a little buzz and nothing more, by the time I left his place (stepped in for 15 minutes) it hit me full force and my eye balls were bouncing so much that I was having to constantly shake my head to be able to see the road. Thankfully I live in the country so I didn't meet any cars on the way so I wasn't a hazard to anyone but myself. I would have been locked up in the pin if I would have gotten pulled over though, and looking back that might have been a good thing because at least then someone would have been watching me to hit me with the narcan if I slipped away.

I honestly thought all we'd done was one Opana between us over the course of the day and a few of the roxis, instead we'd done about 15 pills over the course of the day between us. I am unsure of how many were opana or roxi, or what mg they were, but again it was wayyyyyyy more than I would have usually done or could handle.

So, I guess my point is mixing them at all isn't really a good idea. If you are going to mix it's best to take less of each than you normally would and make damn sure you know exactly what you're doing if you're using socially. It's really easy to snort/pop a pill and assume it's some other substance just because your buddy handed it to you. People make honest mistakes sometimes, but sometimes those mistakes can end up with someone dying.

Be very very very careful with this combo, it is a widow maker for sure. If I would have done just a little bit more of either I probably wouldn't be around to reply to this thread today. How I lived I don't know, what I had in my system should have probably killed me twice over.

Last edited:
I certainly wouldn't consider it a safe combo at all, though i know it is a very common one and many people reading this thread are still going to try this anyways. So for the sake of harm reduction if you do find yourself in this situation and begin to notice an uncomfortable amount of respiratory depression it can't hurt to have a cup of coffee and possibly a smoke (though cigarettes can temporarily potentiate the effects of opiates they can decrease the effects of benzos) caffeine has similar effects as far as weakening the effect of the benzos an generally keeping your body more stimulated. So all in all, while it is an incredibly dangerous combination it's a fact that many people are going to continue doing this so for those people i'll put it as simple as this. STAY AWAKE. A moderate amount of caffeine, possibly a walk (get your blood flowing in general whatever can keep you awake) and obviously if you notice symptoms you believe could be signs of an overdose call 911, no drug is good enough to die for. Once again, not condoning this combo whatsoever but knowing that this thread certainly will not stop everyone from making this decision they might as well take all possible precautions while doing so.

I thought taking benzos with tramadol is better than taking tramadol alone as it lowers risk of seizures? Is that bullshit?
Or is true, but only for tramadol as it's a weird, weaker kind of opiate?

Shit, I always combine them two, I didn't realise it was so dangerous.

Last edited:
I thought taking benzos with tramadol is better than taking tramadol alone as it lowers risk of seizures? Is that bullshit?
Or is true, but only for tramadol as it's a weird, weaker kind of opiate?

Shit, I always combine them two, I didn't realise it was so dangerous.

The danger is definitely higher with stronger opiates like heroin, etc.. as tramadol is a very weak opioid receptor agonist, however it is still a CNS depressant and the mixing of any CNS depressants is where the danger lies. Benzos and opiates mixed together have caused an extremely large amount of fatal OD's.

in nontolerant users, it is quite unsafe, in tolerant (and/or I suppose very careful) users, the combo is not dangerous but is still not safe. I take opiates with benzos whenever I have both at the same time, and I never have any problems with it, however I dose low at first and then titrate carefully, I don't just jump in a pool of CNS depression without knowing how deep it is, and unfotunately, that mentality seems to be very common amongst teens and college students, leading to many deaths.

if you are tolerant to at least one, this combo may be attempted safely IF you start with a fairly lower dose than you would normally take of each, and then titrate up in safe incremements (e.g., titrate by 5mg of oxycodone and .5mg of alprazolam). Don't increase the dose if you have any discomfort regarding breathing or other problems. Also, if this combo is attempted, do not use any other substances (even DPH [benadryl]) with it, whatsoever.

With stronger opiates like heroin, morphine, oxymorphone, etc., this combo is quite risky even in tolerant users. Only combine benzos and opiates if you are VERY confident of your tolerance (if you "know your body" or whatever) or if you are using lower strength opioids (oxycodone, hydrocodone, tramadol, codeine, etc.). Even then, if you attempt this, keep in mind that it is risky, and you should be EXTREMELY careful.

However, I recommend against it, as it's unnecessary and hazardous.

Last edited:
My mom was prescribed them together, Xanax and I don't remember the other. Assuming you took a LOW dose of both you should be perfectly fine. It's not so much the combination, it's the fact that if you take both they GREATLY increase the risk of overdose. Plus, the fact you didn't take them at the EXACT same time, helps reduce the risk. Don't go taking like 60mg of an opiate and 10mg of a benzo together, but as long as it's occasionally, spread out over a few hours, and at low dosage, you could do it and get away with it :)

Yah I'm prescribed temazepam and suboxone, and many people are prescribed methadone and benzodiazepines together. I think methadone and benzos being scripted together is the epitome of being prescribed both because methadone is extremely sedative and severely depresses the cns