Just got a Delatestryl (testosterone enanthate) shot, what should I expect?

moeburn

Bluelighter
Hey all, I've been prescribed methadone for 3 years now, started at 90mg, down to 60mg. Started noticing symptoms of low testosterone levels about 1.5 years ago; no sex drive, no energy, gynecomastia, no aging (I appear 2/3 of my age). Asked methadone doc about it, apparently he tested me a year ago and found my levels were at 22 whatever units per whatever, when the low end of the normal range is 30. So he prescribed me Delatestryl shots, 200mg/ml every two weeks.

Got my first shot in my arm yesterday, and I don't really feel any different yet, other than a sore arm. What should I expect, and when will it start to kick in? Is this gonna be like if I had injected myself with anabolic steroids? The doc joked that I should start feeling amazing and I'll be a hulk in no time. I can't wait, but it seems a little too good to be true.

Four weeks it will kick in. Expect to feel full of energy, confident, and expect you libido to return. In a month or two you will probably notice some fat loss and your muscles becoming harder.

Don't expect to gain any insane amounts of muscle. You are only on a therapeutic dose of Testosterone to bring your levels up to that of a normal person.

Four weeks it will kick in. Expect to feel full of energy, confident, and expect you libido to return. In a month or two you will probably notice some fat loss and your muscles becoming harder.

Don't expect to gain any insane amounts of muscle. You are only on a therapeutic dose of Testosterone to bring your levels up to that of a normal person.

Nothing at all for 4 weeks? Really? God damn that is depressing. I was all excited for this to help me start changing my life, but that is a long ass wait.

I'm not terribly interested in the muscle mass/weight gain, I see that as more of the cherry on top. What I really want is to feel like a man again. I want that extra energy, confidence, and above all, to look a day older than 16 (I'm 24 but I get double carded every where I go).

I guess its a different question so I should go do some research on my own, but if you have any tips on how I can naturally raise my testosterone levels faster than 4 weeks, I'd really appreciate it! I really don't want to wait.

What do you have in mind? Nothing will raise your Test levels faster than an injection of Testosterone.

I'm chalking your physical appearance up to your genetics, and no amount of Test is going to change that.

What do you have in mind? Nothing will raise your Test levels faster than an injection of Testosterone.

I'm chalking your physical appearance up to your genetics, and no amount of Test is going to change that.

I was wondering which types of exercise I should be doing to help it along. At the moment, all I do is a 20 minute run every now and then, but I've just dusted off my old weight bench because I heard that resistance training raises T levels much better than endurance.

I read somewhere that low T levels can prevent a person from appearing to age, and I thought that might explain why I seem to have very little facial hair, no chest hair, baby face, etc.

Heavy training of compound muscle groups along with short rest periods will elevate it temporarily but it's not going to be anything past what your genetics allow. Hair is genetically predisposed to respond to certain amounts of Test in different people. The amount of Testosterone it takes for one 18 year old to sprout a single chest hair can also be enough for another to grow a full beard. If you get a T boost yeah, you'll probably grow some but you need the hair follicles to be there to begin with. Methadone is stopping your Test from getting to it's full endogenous potential, but it's not like you really need to worry about that if you're getting the Test exogenously anyway. Just train hard, eat enough fats, and don't worry about ridiculous superficial things like this.

Yeah dude, chill. Your getting test in an ester that takes time for it to take effect, for it to get into the blood and start working. Different forms of test start to work quicker, but if your on TRT (test replacement therapy) you don't want to be taking injections 2x/day or 1x/day or 1x/every other day. It takes a little while for it to build up in your body, once it does you'll get the effects guido says. It's like a lot of drugs, they take a while to build up in your system before they start working.

I wish I was in your shoes and could get presribed TRT that my insurance paid for. I'm in my mid 40's and would like to have the effects that a 20 or 24 yo male with normal test levels for that age range experiences. Eventually I will go on TRT even if I have to put myself on it because of still not 'technically' qualifying.

It's a good thing you have going. I would recommend you speak with your dr about potential long term negative side effects (so your aware, all drugs have them, even aspirin) and also you might want to ask your dr about the possibility of getting HCG injections in as well as the test E injections. Run it by him and see if he seems to know what your asking about and why and the pro's and con's of adding this, if he's willing and your interested. I only know about short term use of HCG in conjuction with Test for bodybuilding purposes, not TRT like your on.

Thanks for the reply, Titus. I'm not going to be getting Testosterone for long enough to experience the long-term side effects, because I am also in the downward taper stage of my methadone management. Once I reach a low enough dose or quit completely, supposedly my testosterone levels will skyrocket and I will not have the need for the shots anymore.

One thing I am confused about, however, is the gynecomastia (man-boobs). I have a mild case of it, and supposedly that's due to the fact that methadone has decreased my testosterone levels. But apparently a side-effect of getting testosterone shots is also gynecomastia? Does that mean it's gonna get worse, or does that only happen if my testosterone levels get too high, and aren't in the normal range?

Thanks for the reply, Titus. I'm not going to be getting Testosterone for long enough to experience the long-term side effects, because I am also in the downward taper stage of my methadone management. Once I reach a low enough dose or quit completely, supposedly my testosterone levels will skyrocket and I will not have the need for the shots anymore.

One thing I am confused about, however, is the gynecomastia (man-boobs). I have a mild case of it, and supposedly that's due to the fact that methadone has decreased my testosterone levels. But apparently a side-effect of getting testosterone shots is also gynecomastia? Does that mean it's gonna get worse, or does that only happen if my testosterone levels get too high, and aren't in the normal range?

Guido or someone else can answer this better than me. it's acaully more complicated than simply test levels, has to do with things like body weight, estro, etc. There are drugs that can be prescribed to prevent this from worsening so you want to have your dr be on point about this. I'd suggest doing my own independent research or possibly being referred to an endocrinologist to oversee the temp TRT as they are the dr's that are the hormone experts I believe. Simple drugs effective at preventing this so you want your dr to be on top of it, or refer you to a dr that is. He's not gonna have to live with the mad boobs and even surgery to correct them leaves pretty noticible scars. An ounce of prevention..... it's good a methodone dr is giving you test, my ignorant assumptoins about them would be they wouldn't give enough of a shit about such a patient. But ask about drugs to prevent gyno from happening or worsening (it also can be caused by excess alcohol consumptoin in puberty and excess mj smoking in puberty as well). If your overweight the risk increases. Look at this seriously. If they blow you off I would consider finding out what they would recommend if they were to recommend something or come back here and ask or both and get the drugs yourself. it can be the kind of thing you just keep on hand in cdase you start to notice symptoms like itchy nipples and stuff.

it's good a methodone dr is giving you test, my ignorant assumptoins about them would be they wouldn't give enough of a shit about such a patient.
I have similar ignorant assumptions about methadone dr's in the USA, but I am Canadian, and apparently that makes all the difference. These doctors actually pressure us to get OFF the done.

But ask about drugs to prevent gyno from happening or worsening (it also can be caused by excess alcohol consumptoin in puberty and excess mj smoking in puberty as well). If your overweight the risk increases. Look at this seriously. If they blow you off I would consider finding out what they would recommend if they were to recommend something or come back here and ask or both and get the drugs yourself. it can be the kind of thing you just keep on hand in cdase you start to notice symptoms like itchy nipples and stuff.

Excessive alcohol and mj consumption were a huge problem for me during puberty, but the gyne didn't happen until the methadone. I haven't noticed itchy nipples, but ever since I got my test shot they've been incredibly sensitive and painful every day. Like sometimes so bad I have to put a hot water bottle on them just to help with the pain.

I should add that the nipple pain is worst when I get cold and/or goosebumps. Makes listening to really great music rather difficult.

Last edited:
I have similar ignorant assumptions about methadone dr's in the USA, but I am Canadian, and apparently that makes all the difference. These doctors actually pressure us to get OFF the done.

Excessive alcohol and mj consumption were a huge problem for me during puberty, but the gyne didn't happen until the methadone. I haven't noticed itchy nipples, but ever since I got my test shot they've been incredibly sensitive and painful every day. Like sometimes so bad I have to put a hot water bottle on them just to help with the pain.

I should add that the nipple pain is worst when I get cold and/or goosebumps. Makes listening to really great music rather difficult.

My understanding is that these are symptoms of gyno starting/worsening. I would call your dr and complain about this and get an appt and find out about getting a prescription to prevent gyno from setting in any worse than it is. Your def gyno prone anyway as you have it to some degree. Get this addressed now.

Testosterone shot

Hey all, I've been prescribed methadone for 3 years now, started at 90mg, down to 60mg. Started noticing symptoms of low testosterone levels about 1.5 years ago; no sex drive, no energy, gynecomastia, no aging (I appear 2/3 of my age). Asked methadone doc about it, apparently he tested me a year ago and found my levels were at 22 whatever units per whatever, when the low end of the normal range is 30. So he prescribed me Delatestryl shots, 200mg/ml every two weeks.

Got my first shot in my arm yesterday, and I don't really feel any different yet, other than a sore arm. What should I expect, and when will it start to kick in? Is this gonna be like if I had injected myself with anabolic steroids? The doc joked that I should start feeling amazing and I'll be a hulk in no time. I can't wait, but it seems a little too good to be true.

Your doctor injected the testosterone in the wrong place! It's supposed to go into your hip, not your arm!

Last edited:
Your doctor injected the testosterone in the wrong place! It's supposed to go into your hip, not your arm!

Correction, your glutes.... Its fine in the arm (deltoid) but there is the suggestion of lower bioavailability when injected into delts (53% ) as opposed to glutes (73% )...

As it was 2 years ago, I'm sure he won't be too bothered where he was injected ...

Apparently hip shots (ventro glutes) is the new method here in the states being taught in med school and nursing school. Bio availability is decent relatively similar to glutes and holds similar volumes of oil.