• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

DXM: which cough syrup to buy?

Never got nausea either, just insane schizo thoughts and bloody sheets/skin. I know this is a little offtopic, but everyone online says "buy DPH to counteract the itch." But I'm not sure if I can get that where I live, is there anything else? Or what is the actual brand name of DPH? Is it rare at chemists?

DXM doesn't give me nausea unless I've been drinking, and then it's a guaranteed chunder.

DPH is the active ingredient of Benadryl. It tastes better than Robo.

It's not the active ingredient of Benadryl cough syrups, those have dextromethorphan but they have a lot of sorbitol. You can get Benadryl products containing diphenhydramine, I haven't seen them in quite a while though.

jaurk said:
Never got nausea either, just insane schizo thoughts and bloody sheets/skin. I know this is a little offtopic, but everyone online says "buy DPH to counteract the itch." But I'm not sure if I can get that where I live, is there anything else? Or what is the actual brand name of DPH? Is it rare at chemists?

Diphenhydramine is in Unisom sleeping tablets, or you can ask for Travacalm (get the one in the blue packet) which is dimenhydrinate. Dimenhydrinate is diphenhydramine bonded with 8-chlorotheophylline, which is similar to caffeine with the idea that it is less sedating then diphenhydramine.

Really Mr. B? I've never come across Unisom, but I brought some Benadryl just last year. link removed
That's what the bottle looks like jaurk.

Last edited by a moderator:
^ Nope I haven't seen that one in quite a while, maybe it's just not popular in QLD... I did see a Benadryl diphenhydramine with pseudoephedrine I think last year though. But the only Benadryl products I see now (and the ones most people would be familiar with) are the cough syrup line containing DXM, or the chesty cough formulations with guaifenesin and bromhexine.... they also have a couple with phenylephrine as well. Maybe because the DPH and the pseudoephedrine ones are S3 they are a lot rarer.

I didn't know DPH was S3. What fucking bugs me with Pseudoephedrine is Sudafed PE not doing what Sudafed is supposed to do, yet Sudafed is much rarer.. I mean I know why but it's just fucking stupid to replace it with something that doesn't do what you're trying to replace.

Wait isn't DXM S3 too?
Yes I remember because DPH was on the shelf too. The shelf was in sight of the pharmacists but too far away for (easy) response. My local CW has a bit of "dodgy" layout, but that's the way I love it.
Actually I can't even remember if I brought the DPH from there. NO. I brought it from a closer chemist.
That was behind the counter with DXM, I don't know if DPH is behind the counter at CW. Is DXM S3?

the person who said i wouldnt feel the dxm over the diaz & oxy is wrong. unless i only take 100mg of dxm. dxm is some fucken strong shit. I dont evenb feel 100mg of valium. i barely feel\ 40mg of oxy. but 300mg makes me feel like im majorly drunk & stoned but in fast forward. real weird.
btw what's the largest sized bottle ya can get.

problem is sometimes the cough syrups are behind the counter so ya cant have a look yaself at what the ingrediants are :(

Ya thats what i said you wont really feel the diazapam or oxy over the dxm you misunderstood. And sorry everyone for suggesting the one with guifinesan! I actualy had no idea they had a kind with only DXM. Do they have it in america?

I'm not sure whether they have it in America. But I know somebody in America who takes this shit every night, and he says he uses a cheap brand which contains the antihistamine. However, the antihistamines apparently don't harm him because of his tolerance.

10 years ago when I used to do DXM I use to buy Robotussin DX. Do they stilll have that one now or is it replaced with Robotussin Extra strength which I've also seen.

I just wanna know exactly what to ask for & I dont want any nasty ingrediants.

I dont think I'll be trying it again but im interested in how it would be if mixed with valium & oxy.

would probbaly be a great feeling. but I remember how disgusting robo was to drink. I hope it tastes better these days & doesnt make ya throw up like the old Robotussin DX did to me a few times.

I wish they just had plain DXM pills.

Don't get the one with Guaifenesin. To get a decent enough DXM dose you have to have like a ridiculously high amount of it which isn't good. I remember the hassle when I gave it a go a year or two ago.

I kept the bottle and it's called "Dimetapp" DM Cold and Cough Elixir.
Ripped off the label
"Each 5ml contains
Brompheniramine maleate 2mg
phenylephrine hydrochloride 5mg
dextromethorphan hydrobromide 10mg"

That's the one I tripped balls off anyway. It was a good feeling but it fucked me good for a while. Wouldn't recommend it to anyone who hasn't done it.

Im pretty sure they dont have one with only dxm here in the states so we just have to deal with the nausea everytime or extract it. iv never seen it here and it would make sense with our govt trying to keep it under controll.

serta said:
I kept the bottle and it's called "Dimetapp" DM Cold and Cough Elixir.
Ripped off the label
"Each 5ml contains
Brompheniramine maleate 2mg
phenylephrine hydrochloride 5mg
dextromethorphan hydrobromide 10mg"

Wrong brand again! If you use this, you put yourself at risk of cardiac/blood pressure complications from the phenylephrine, and anticholinergic effects from the brompheniramine. Please people, only use a brand with just DXM in it!

KillCops said:
Im pretty sure they dont have one with only dxm here in the states so we just have to deal with the nausea everytime or extract it. iv never seen it here and it would make sense with our govt trying to keep it under controll.

I've read that there are DXM only brands available, have you tried reading the DXM FAQ that's on Erowid? Old but might still be useful.

DeathDomokun said:
I didn't know DPH was S3. What fucking bugs me with Pseudoephedrine is Sudafed PE not doing what Sudafed is supposed to do, yet Sudafed is much rarer.. I mean I know why but it's just fucking stupid to replace it with something that doesn't do what you're trying to replace.

Yeah it's annoying as pseudoephedrine is the only one that works well. I can't use pseduoephedrine or phenylephrine though because both have contraindications with medication I take.

And yep, diphenhydramine is S3... dimenhydrinate is S2 though.

DeathDomokun said:
Yes I remember because DPH was on the shelf too. The shelf was in sight of the pharmacists but too far away for (easy) response. My local CW has a bit of "dodgy" layout, but that's the way I love it.
Actually I can't even remember if I brought the DPH from there. NO. I brought it from a closer chemist.
That was behind the counter with DXM, I don't know if DPH is behind the counter at CW. Is DXM S3?

Depending on where you live or on the individual chemist, the S3 drugs may be separated from the S2 drugs or not if they are all behind the counter. Here in QLD most of the time you can see S3 drugs (or most of them, barring pseudoephedrine) behind the counter though occasionally they are all in the dispensary.

Drugs put you at risk? Really?

Honestly, no clue what part of Brisbane you're in, but good luck finding a chemist that will sell you a bottle of straight DXM.

What is that brand exactly? I'm not entirely sure if that's the brand I used now or not, because I did get home with one first only to realize it wasn't right, and then got the right type.

^ All drugs put you at risk; but many people have consumed DXM in higher-then-therapeutic doses for recreational effect with not many health problems. Adding two other drugs to that mix that are 1) not adding to the recreational factor and 2) are known to be dangerous in overdose is a bad idea.

serta said:
Honestly, no clue what part of Brisbane you're in, but good luck finding a chemist that will sell you a bottle of straight DXM.

What is that brand exactly? I'm not entirely sure if that's the brand I used now or not, because I did get home with one first only to realize it wasn't right, and then got the right type.

It's Robitussin Dry Cough Forte, it comes in a blue colored packaging and in my experience it is easy to get. I don't know how you are going around attempting to buy it that they are refusing, whenever I wanted it I just said I had a dry cough (which was usually true, I don't like DXM for recreational purposes), they ask if I'm on any other medications and I tell them if I am or not, they check with the pharmacist and that's that.

Pharmacists know that it's abusable, but I've never had a problem getting it. Do you look too young, or claim to have symptoms you don't have?

Ah, true enough. As I said, I only kept an empty bottle, one of which I purchased without much prior investigation. Then, true enough, it was Dry Cough Forte, but it was some other strange brand that wasn't Robitussin. But when I did purchase that it wasn't just straight DXM either. I'm sure it had 1-2 other ingredients like the wack brand I mentioned before. Not the same ones, but yeah.

Either way, you're right.

I could even get it when I was just 16, no ID. Walked in "Can I please get a bottle of Robitussin for a dry cough." *money out*
-"Have you used this before?"
"yes."
-"dosages here, have a nice day." :)

So easy, I researched the fuck out of it before trying.

I could even get it when I was just 16, no ID. Walked in "Can I please get a bottle of Robitussin for a dry cough." *money out*
-"Have you used this before?"
"yes."
-"dosages here, have a nice day." :)

So easy, I researched the fuck out of it before trying.

I used to be scared the first few times I went to the pharmacy to get DXM products. Now when I buy codeine or whatever it's the smoothest transaction, and I know exactly what to say.

Like everyone mentioned Robitussin dry cough forte with the blue packaging is the one to get. Its sitting on the shelf in NSW pharmacies. I find it quite surprising how many of you guys actually enjoy robo tripping. I mean for the price of a bottle you could buy a single hit of LSD blotter *scratches head*

For potentiating I find its awesome though especially with opiates like codeine, oxys, morphine and hydromorphone. I always buy a bottle of DXM with a pack of codeine along with a bunch of other things. In the end it all comes down to 1. How you look 2. How much knowledge you have and maybe 3. How asshole the pharmacist is. I usually dont have that problem though, whos going to turn down business anyway?