• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Bupe How long after using heroin can you take suboxone safely without p/w?

cjb017

Bluelighter
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knows how long you should wait after using heroin before you can safely take a suboxone pill without going into precipitated withdrawal? Once I only waited about 36 hours after shooting heroin, I had missed the vein when I used that heroin and I went into precipitated withdrawal when I took the suboxone (i assume it took the heroin extra long to get out of my system since i missed the vein when i look back now)

Anyway I am only snorting the heroin now, but I am wondering how long should I wait before taking suboxone to 100 percent definitely not withdrawal and be safe and sure that everything will be okay?

Does anyone have any experience or know how long?

Thank you

It varies from person to person, and as you learned the hard way you are on the longer end of the spectrum.

Snorthing heroin actually keeps it in your system longer than IV, so you will have to wait longer than last time. How long does it take for your withdrawals to get bad? The general rule is to wait until your withdrawals are getting bad.

As Tommyboy said, you really want to wait until you are somewhat uncomfortably withdrawing to make sure you avoid the precipitated withdrawl.

With me and using Heroin, 18 hours was the absolute earliest I would induce Subutext. Once you do it too soon you are stuck in PWD for 48-72 hours and as someone who has had this happen to them even in an inpatient detox, you do not want ANY part of it. It is absolute fucking hell.

Good luck

As mentioned- wait until you are in moderate to severe withdrawals (there is a chart for when to take suboxone/subutex... google it if you want to take a look).

Also, generally wait at least 18 hours, 24 if you can. Then, it IS completely subjective. There are many variables involved. Just wait til you are so miserable you can't take it anymore. Then take a small amount-depends on ROA. Check out the suboxone megathread for more great info!

It varies from person to person, and as you learned the hard way you are on the longer end of the spectrum.

Snorthing heroin actually keeps it in your system longer than IV, so you will have to wait longer than last time. How long does it take for your withdrawals to get bad? The general rule is to wait until your withdrawals are getting bad.
I understand IV'ing keep it in your system longer, but the first time I IV-ed and I missed the vein and when you get a heroin blister I read that it slowly absorbs into your body over 24 hours, so you must wait 24 hours on top of that.

So a missed shot that absorbs slowly actually keeps it in your body longer than snorting I hear. So that's why I don't think I have to wait longer than last time.

^ I read the part where you said you may have missed part of the shot, but I don't think that it gets absorbed that slowly when you miss. Subcutaneous injection (skin popping) and IM shots take 3-5 minutes for the onset compared to 10-30 seconds with IV.

You could have searched this on google, man. This has been talked about a million times.

Anyway, it's different for everyone. How long someone has been consistently using, their tolerance, and their metabolism, all play a part in factoring in how long one has to wait in order to begin bupe. The average wait time for most people is around 12-15 hours. Basically, it's just when you feel sick—genuinely sick, not mentally hyping it up and tripping yourself out. Some people don't start to feel withdrawals from heroin for a full 24 hours.. in which case, dosing before then would bring about PWD's. Others, like me.. feel sick a lot earlier. For me, 12 hours after my last dose of heroin and I would be safe to take the suboxone. But I didn't count the hours.. you need to base it off how you feel and use the time as just a guide.

Man im in the same situation, I just shot my last of H I had and now im waiting to start detoxification so I can SAFELY take my suboxen. I to have been through the pwds and it's NO JOKE! I can't believe I let myself get strung out again! I hate this shit! Anyway, im going to wait at least 24 hrs. I used about 3 to 4 grams of some mediocre tar, 3 weeks of use, so hopefully 24 hrs should be ok???? Just want to thank EVERYONE for their input, very helpful and somehow, comforting........

Maybe it was just my metabolism but I'd use suboxone 8-10 hours after my last dose of dope and be fine now methadone is another story. I waited 48 hours coming off mmt and went into precipitated wds!

For me it was usually 8-10 hours BUT I process stuff crazy fast- I always went by "starting to feel crappy, look in the mirror and pupils are big." Also, I've found that by starting with a VERY low dose and making them progressively bigger (like 250-500 mcgs and wait 30-60 minutes, 500-1000mcgs wait another 30-60 minutes, then like 1mg every 30-60 minutes until I felt ok) I haven't gotten any noticable precipatated WDs. Also even though I have IVed bupe in the past (mostly so I could take bupe in the morning and dope at night) it is a very bad idea to do so the first dose after taking an opioid (unless you are willing to start with like 100mcgs and keep hitting it until it builds up- but that is a pain). For most people it seems to be quite a bit longer.

I think the best way to figure it out is by looking at pupil size- once my pupils are very large I don't have problems. If at all in doubt it is probably best to wait.

also- the couple of times I went into pwds it was never the 48-72 hours like people said; absolute hell but for 30-60 minutes. Shows how everyone is different. I once went into pwds with a bad fent habit...so not fun.

Yea you are correct, when I went into pwds it was for about 1hr. Feeling realy bad, then it slowly went away, but I took 16mgs of suboxen at once! Maybe that was why I went into pwds, I took my last shot this morning, very little, of H, so im going to take 2mgs of sub then 2mgs more a little bit later like someone said, I think that will be ok. Im going to start the suboxen tonight around 9pm that will be 12 hrs exactly..

Hi this may be an old thread but I used H like a half a pt this morning and I have a script for suboxone it's been almost 12 hours I feel like shit should I wait till in the morning or do it now so I can sleep

^Everyone is so different but if it were me based on my induction I would take 2mgs of sub, wait at least 30mins to an hour and then take another 2-4mgs and that would hold me I think. I wasn't even feeling sick (thanks to lyrica) when I took my first 2mg but my pharmacist said with oxycodone as long as you've waited 24hrs since your last dose which was 200mgs, then I should be fine and I was. It should be noted that I was completely tolerant to doses up to 350mgs and I mean tolerant in the sense that I wouldn't really feel the drug but I would get well. But if I were in your shoes and was feeling like shit then I would attempt it.

Even if you get a little PWD you can sub your way out of it by taking a little more incrementally until you feel well, it seems counter intuitive to take more but I've seen it work. Plenty will say not to but in the end its not life threatening just comfort threatening. Good luck and take care

^Everyone is so different but if it were me based on my induction I would take 2mgs of sub, wait at least 30mins to an hour and then take another 2-4mgs and that would hold me I think. I wasn't even feeling sick (thanks to lyrica) when I took my first 2mg but my pharmacist said with oxycodone as long as you've waited 24hrs since your last dose which was 200mgs, then I should be fine and I was. It should be noted that I was completely tolerant to doses up to 350mgs and I mean tolerant in the sense that I wouldn't really feel the drug but I would get well. But if I were in your shoes and was feeling like shit then I would attempt it.

Even if you get a little PWD you can sub your way out of it by taking a little more incrementally until you feel well, it seems counter intuitive to take more but I've seen it work. Plenty will say not to but in the end its not life threatening just comfort threatening. Good luck and take care

PLEASE, do not revive these old threads to ask a question like this that can be answered by a simple google search. Please utilize the threads of importance link at the top of the page, as well as the Other Drugs Directory. There are countless threads that relate to Buprenorphine, such as the Suboxone/Buprenorphine Megathread V.1-16, and more. I'm not trying to come down on you personally BacknForth, but there's been a ton of this going on lately.

Here is the COWS induction sheet pdf, which might be some help to people.

Hi. I tried to make my own thread but it didn't work. I just wanted to know what my chances of going into PWDs were. I did 1 weak bag about 9 hours ago and just wanna get high again. I have a 2mg Suboxone that's calling my name but I'm afraid of the PWDs.

Are you in full withdrawals? The sicker you are when you induct, the better the Bupe will work and the chances of precipitated withdrawals decrease significantly. If the bag didn't do anything for you I would still try to stick it out at least 14 hours. Anyway it's better you posted in this thread as it is, there's too many threads about this topic, better to just cover it all here, or in the suboxone megathread.