• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Dad's been drinking non stop for a week...

starlett7

Bluelighter
So my dad has literally been drunk for almost a week straight, my mom and I hid his alcohol a few hours ago and he's been having anxiety and walking around the house looking for it. I'm pretty sure he is still drunk and I'm worried he might start experiencing withdrawal.
I read benzos are used to treat alcohol withdrawal symptoms sometimes, would it be safe to give my dad a valium?

I don't understand how a person can drink so much.. he honestly looks like he's aged 100 years it's awful seeing my dad like this.

No. Do not give an alcoholic any benzodiazepines, it could kill them in the likely case that there is still alcohol in his system.

D: def won't do that then!! are benzos only used for withdrawal when the person is sober? or has no alcohol in their system?

That is correct, and benzos are not always used in recovering alcoholics, it's determined on patient per patient basis.

I'm sorry to hear about your dad. My girlfriend is a raging recovering alcoholic, I know what it's like.

If you need any support, you should checkout the dark side.

I would send your dad to a doctor not medicate him yourself. An alcoholic given benzos can extremely easily become addicted. Never medicate someone with your own pills without a doctors advice.

EDIT: After re-reading this sober, i'd prefer to keep this personal :)

Last edited:
Also OP....Alcoholics can die from withdrawal....This needs to be done under supervision....

Im sorry this is happening to you...My mum was a rum drinker....And she was very scary sometimes...She terrified me that much in cars that i never got my licence untill i was 30 years old!!!....

WOW pbuilder....wow<3

My father is an alcoholic... When I was a kid, I couldn't do any normal kids' things because of my dads drinking. I couldn't ask friends to come to my home because my dad could have been drunk and embarrassed me. I never had any money because all my family's income went to my dads drinking and gambling.

I'm now almost 30 years old, and two years ago I realized that I had become an alcoholic myself. I wasn't controlling my drinking anymore, the drinking was controlling me.

When you've been non stop drunk for a few days, there's nothing fun in it anymore. You feel terrible, but you have to keep drinking to avoid the withdrawal symptoms. Someone who's not an alcoholic themself can't understand the feeling of hating oneself for the drinking and moral weakness, but still being unable to quit.

A week long binge is not enough to cause life threatening WD symtoms. If your dad had been drinking for, say, two months, that would be a different matter.

My partner is an alcoholic...He is a very nice drunk however...The more drunk he is, the more fun we have...The problem is when he is sober and he not so nice sometimes...He never wakes with a hangover as i dont think alcoholics really get hungover...until they start withdrawal...My partner goes cold turkey from full blown alcoholism at least 3 times a year...We have been together for 10 years and ive seen him do it many times...Its not like opiate withdrawal which is all im familiar with really...He does do it hard when he quits though..RLS and vomiting and diahreah... are present...The physical symptoms that ive seen him endure while in alcohol withdrawal are headache, nausea, vomiting, insomnia, dilated pupils, rapid heart rate (tachycardia), sweating, gastrointestinal problems, general weakness, fever, hypertension (high blood pressure).

The extremely severe symptoms include intense convulsions and delirium tremors that may be fatal in severe cases. but not in all cases...but because of all these problems drinkers find it easier to revert to drinking again when faced with these symptoms...

Has anyone tried a family intervention with your Dad? Sometimes it can be good to hear from the people that love you how close you are to losing them by losing yourself.

I hope that you heed all the above advice not to try to medicate your Dad in any way. Alcohol is a very serious drug to withdraw from and he will certainly need medical supervision. I am just as worried about you, however. Taking on the role of trying to prevent your father from harming himself when you are his child is too much for you. No one can stop him from his cycle. All you can do is to keep yourself strong and healthy. I don't know your age but there are al-anon groups specifically for teens and if you are older, there are groups specific to adult children of alcoholics. I went to al-anon, did not necessarily buy into every step but found some of it very useful and found the group itself to be a lifeline. The acceptance and understanding of my whole range of emotions from anger to despair saved my sanity (mostly by reminding me that I was responsible for it, not my son.)

I hope that you and your mother can get some support. Maybe you could check out a meeting together. It is amazing how isolated families can feel around the issue of addiction. There is no need to feel alone and try to deal with all this pain on your own. It was great that you reached out here and I hope that we can be a real source of support for you, too.<3

My father is also an alcoholic. Today is his 3rd week of his binge. my father used to take benzos all the time and he would have zero judgement. if you give him one it could not only possibly kill him. if it dosnt it will make life even more hell for you. My parents divorced and so on so it was always just him and i. If your father hasnt already he should go to a detox unit at a local hospital. If you have been down that route and he refuses to go. Then you must let him get to the point to where he decides to go. I know how hard living with an alcoholic is. i have to go home to one today. i wish you luck and the patience

have you tried talking to him you probaly have what a dumb question but I must ask. If you ahvent tell him about the long term damages he could do to him self and that hes really hurting you with this and if he doesnt stop your gonna send him to rehab.

ITs always very hard to make your parents stop these kind of things. I was once ought in school with weed with the age of 13 because I wanted to try it so badly. I had talked to my parents allot about it and the told me only good things about it. So I bought it from a frined and got cought because soemone snitched this as the first time ever that I actually had real 6 grams of weed in my hand. After wards I found out that my parents smoked it regulary and I really yelled at them loud and hard. But still they never were or even tried to stop. Atleast they dont smoke it to oftenly and onlxy like 0.5 grams at a time. Just to get chilled.

See what I'm tring to say its not that easy you might need some more help buddy.

as a former alcoholic, a week straight of drunkenness ain't the end of the world--but your dad needs some serious help. Benzos might be the answer--but not unless administered under the care of a physician--that's dangerous ground for someone physically dependent on alcohol

Also OP....Alcoholics can die from withdrawal....This needs to be done under supervision....

Im sorry this is happening to you...My mum was a rum drinker....And she was very scary sometimes...She terrified me that much in cars that i never got my licence untill i was 30 years old!!!....

WOW pbuilder....wow<3

my mum was a vodka drinker, she held the proud record of being caught with the highest blood alcohol level in her system in Australia for a woman drunk driver at the time (1988 ) whilst she was on her way to pick me up from school

i am now 30 and contemplating driving a car for the very first time after the horrifying moments i experienced in a car with her, i think its given me a phobia of sorts

and to the OP, my heart goes out to you, there is nothing worse watching your parents act against their best interests, obviously your there to support him but make sure you look after yourself as well

My father fell down the stairs hit his head and bleed out for 3 days. After having brain. Surgery he was left brain dead and shortly after died in the hospital.. The first month i was not there he died.this is how life is