Bluelight

Thread: SSRI and adderall

1. Collapse Details
    SSRI and adderall 
    I'd always thought taking adderall while on a SSRI was harmless but doing a random search today i saw that on drugs.com it says it has a major interaction: http://www.drugs.com/drug-interactio...-1115-648.html .

I'm confused... anyone know anything about this? I was thinking of taking some this weekend ... not sure i can now.

2. Collapse Details

Iv done that search before. That thing says alot of things are a major interaction. Anyways it says some amphetamines have serotonin release as well as dopamine which is true. And mixing two drugs that work on seroronin can lead to seroronin syndrome but you dont have to worry about that. Second thing is seizure threshold is lowered by both drugs but unless you did alot of adderall you wouldnt have to worry about that. Theres also the enzyme inhibition, check to see they arent inhibiting the same enzyme as that can be a problem.

3. Collapse Details

(edit - ninja'd by f1n1shed!)

Amphetamines can have serotonergic effects as well as dopaminergic. A serotonin agonist plus a SSRI can lead to the potentially fatal serotonin syndrome, hence some interaction checkers flagging them. However, amphetamine salts have a pretty low degree of serotonin action and it is not a likely event, although it is possible.

This interaction seems to be relating to a potentiation of stimulants ("sympathomimetic agents") by SSRIs. This is not common at all and I have not heard of it with anything other than fluoxetine. Are you prescribed the medications? What doses were you thinking of taking, and what SSRI are you on?

4. Collapse Details

well i'm taking flouxetine 20mg and yes, i was prescribed. i'm not prescribed adderall but my friend has some and i was going to ask her for some... as for the amount I was just going to use it for a study-aid so i was just going to ask her how much she takes.

5. Collapse Details

^ that should be fine. We can't make 100% guarantees, but I would be very surprised if you had any problems with that combination, especially as you are taking a therapeutic dose and not trying to get high

6. Collapse Details

just a small update on this for future reference ... I decided to take 10mgs of adderall. everything went fine, I got a productive study session out of it, ha!

7. Collapse Details

Adderall should be fine how ever iv done coke a few times on my ssri and there was something weird about it, panicky for sure. I don't touch coke anymore though