• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Non prescription anti-anxiety drugs?

Tortiees

Greenlighter
Anyone know of non-prescription/OTC anti-anxiety drugs? Not for recreational use.

Depending on your anxiety level, St. John's Wart or melatonin are probably the most effective. But that are nothing compared to a benzo. The only OTC drug comparable to a benzo for anxiety is alcohol.

l-tyrosine and sublingual GABA supps work well.

kava kava and valerian root do a pretty good job at suppressing my anxiety, and kratom is the shit, but it isnt OTC but it is legal

Depending on your anxiety level, St. John's Wart or melatonin are probably the most effective. But that are nothing compared to a benzo. The only OTC drug comparable to a benzo for anxiety is alcohol.

Melatonin!? That's a natural sleep aid supplement. It's used mostly for people with jet lag, and have problems sleeping. I fail to see how that might help anxiety at all, besides making the user sleepy.

I think the best drug for anxiety, is fresh food and eating healthy. Simple as that. Also, plenty of exercise. Don't be so quick to resort to substances.

I tried phenibut a few years ago and remember it helping considerably but I only tried it once so it may have been placebo, it was a long time ago. I dont know much about phenibut but I know it works on the GABA receptors and it has a pretty bad withdrawal if overused so if you go this method be very careful. Im considering getting some as it is legal.

L-Theanine is the best OTC anti-anxiety drug that I have taken.

Melatonin!? That's a natural sleep aid supplement. It's used mostly for people with jet lag, and have problems sleeping. I fail to see how that might help anxiety at all, besides making the user sleepy.

I think the best drug for anxiety, is fresh food and eating healthy. Simple as that. Also, plenty of exercise. Don't be so quick to resort to substances.

Yes, melatonin. Studies show it has anxiolytic properties. Also, fresh food and healthy eating might help with stress and anxiety that is not clinically disordered, but it won't be of much help to someone with an anxiety disorder. I should know; I used to work out 6 days per week and eat very healthful foods, keeping track of every calorie, and its source. This made me feel better overall, but did nothing to remedy my anxiety, nevermind mitigating panic attacks.

L-tryptophan, L-tyrosine, Taurine, Valerian root, Magnesium, Kava Kava, Ginko Biloba, Phenibut, Melatonin

Sometimes I feel like tackling anxiety at different angles other than benzos or beta-blockers is the best bet.

GABA supplements work amazing. Look into them.
The problem that I found was when I was using GABA daily and then I used MDMA - the MDMA did not work nearly as much.

Beta blockers are prescription only. They are an early blood pressure and cardiac arrhythmia medication. Note that beta blockers will alleviate the physical symptoms of anxiety (sweating, trembling, stuttering) but won't reduce mental anxiety. In other words you'll still be anxious, you just won't look like you are. The easing of physical symptoms can help you relax though, especially in the case of social anxiety and/or performance phobia.

L-Theanine is the best OTC anti-anxiety drug that I have taken.
I agree..when I was on probation i picked up a bottle cheap...and it helped me not want to violate my terms of probation!

Local Stores sale concauctions called Nerve Tonic.. they make me feel less anxious.

There is some evidence for hydroxyzine (1st gen antihistamine but with low anticholinergic activity and some serotonin/alpha-adrenergic antagonist action which may be resplosible for it's anxiolysis) but this is not OTC everywhere. I have a paper but I can't access it here - it shows promise in generalised anxiety disorder, but it doesn't work for everyone.

Beta blockers are indeed prescription only - they work on the physical symptoms of anxiety (primarily racing heart but also tremor and nausea) and some people find them very effective, leading to a calmed mind with improved physical symptoms - others less so. Pregabalin (Lyrica) and gabapentin can sometimes work too, but again prescription.

Some people find Valerian root to have a calming effect but I don't have any evidence or experience to support this..

Have you tried breathing exercises and therapy such as CBT?

Last edited:
Im 32 years of age, i have always had an extremely well balanced healthy diet and i ride a pushbike a minimum of over 50 miles (80 kilometres) per week yet i still suffer from crippling/life controlling Anxiety and have done for many years.

It may work for some but not for me :/

There is some evidence for hydroxyzine (1st gen antihistamine but with low anticholinergic activity and some serotonin/alpha-adrenergic antagonist action which may be resplosible for it's anxiolysis) but this is not OTC everywhere. I have a paper but I can't access it here - it shows promise in generalised anxiety disorder, but it doesn't work for everyone.
Damn right it doesn't work for everyone!

I tried this on recommendation from a pharmacist in South-East Asia (Brand name Atarax) and i found this to be an horrific experience! I wont go into detail as this may unfairly influence the reader but i followed the instructions and eer'd with the side of caution (which is something i rarely do when it comes to illicit substances)

The next 48 hours were the worst of my life without going into detail, this aside taking more than the recommended dose of this Anti-Histamine is a very bad idea

I would not wish it on my worst enemy.

IME it most definately does not possess any Anxiolytic properties, infact on the contrary ive never felt so anxious in all my life, aswell as sweaty, restless, nauseas and just generally awful.

On top of this i was stuck on a 747 waiting on the runway to take off!

A nightmare experience of epic proportions... especially for someone like me who originally wanted the meds for flight anxiety and now had all these symptoms brought on by the Hydroxyzine aswell as my usual extreme flight anxiety symptoms add to that the fact i had a 12 hour non-stop flight ahead off me.

So not wanting to dismiss this 'wonderdrug' (Hydroxymine) ive tried using it on different occassions using different doses in different settings and my opinion has not changed at all.

Maybe im one of the unlucky few who it doesnt seem to work on, yet all the other 1st Generation Anti-Histamines ive tried (and use) work just perfect.

-600mg Chelated Magnesium Glycinate (try this first)
-400-600mg L-Theanine
-Kava-Kava tincture in glass bottles, 40-80 drops
-Beta Blockers for the physical symptoms of anxiety, these are so effective and so easy to get from doctors

Also,
-A normal, restorative sleep every night
-Good meals every 4 hours (complex carbs, protein, good fats)
-No caffeine, stimulants, or sugar

Bach's Rescue Remedy works extremely well also. It is a tincture you place under your tongue. Relora is pretty good too