• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

MEGA - Thinking about joining the military.

^^^

Yea and I cant stress the type of degree enough....it cant be some pussy ass shit like Business, Psychology or Art...It MUST be a Technical Degree....Math, Physics, Chemistry, Engineering...ect....

Fighter Pilot is one of the most prestigious professions in the world....EVERYONE has seen Top Gun....so imagine the competition...It's like an All-American college football player who just so happens to be a Rhodes Scholar....

My commander in one of our reconnaissance squadrons (really cool spyplanes), took 2 years off to finish his phD in something rediculous like Astro-Geospatial Intelligence....not sure if thats what it really was...but it was something crazy along those lines...lol

Anyways, here's a cool Vid from that Aircraft......I got to ride with one of the pilots once in the beginning car chase scene.....pretty freaking awesome...wish i could've taken the ride up like on of those lucky MF'ers from Top Gear....he gets suited up like Neil Armstrong and flies to 70,000 ft....which is the Stratosphere...pretty much in outerspace...sweetness....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PmYItnlY5M

Its not hard to get into if you score decent on the ASVAB and dont have a criminal record. Though there more selective then the army which takes anyone with a pulse.

If it's any consolation, they say the USAF's boot camp is by far the easiest of the four branches.

its easy to murder villagers with a drone.

Actually being a drone pilot is rather difficult, they are fully qualified pilots. As for the your beliefs on what the armed forces actually do, I won't even address, as it is impossible to overcome the faith of fool in his ideas.

Yes it is easy to get into. Tattoo policy's have been getting stricter though. But other than that if you don't have a criminal record anybody can get in. And yes their boot camp is a joke. I'm in the USMC but my mos school was in lackland where their boot is. Also don't ever join the USMC unless you enjoy having every aspect of your life micromanaged, treated like shit, living in barracks worse than the projects, and pretty much enjoy hating your life.

Reasons Why People Join The Military

The military is supposed to be for the purpose of defending your country. However, how many people do you think join for that actual noble cause or possibly for other reasons? For the money,education, or to simply be able to experience the thrill of taking life in combat. Or any other reasons.

If any BLers have been in the military what compelled you to join or what even may have compelled some of you to find a way out? Not considering joining myself,just curious as to opinions on the topic compared my own. Also would like to be able to have insight if anyone close to me decides to join the military down the road in life how to handle the situation from my end on the emotional level. MODS, if you feel this would be better suited in P&S feel free to move it ^.^

Pariahprose

I know people who joined because it was good money and good pension. People I never thought would join, too. Straight up pacifists. It saddens me.

The reasons people join volunteer armies haven't changed for thousands of years: money, job security, escape from an unpleasant or dead-end home situation (my own folks' reason), literal and figurative mobility, because your parents did, etc.

ya I considered joining for a little while to try and further my education but 2 DUI Marijuana charges count as a drug charges and they wont always do a waiver for ppl. Idk, I am usually all for selling my soul for periods of time if I come out better in the long run,but when it comes to the US Military and some of the whacked out shit they do, even I have my limits. Just isn't me...idk I do worry my kids may grow up and wish to join,but that is many many many years down the road still. However,I do still wish to know how someone with a S/O or child in the military copes.

Pariahprose

I dunno, I initally joined mostly for the lulz/cause I wanted the thrills and experiences that it offers which are otherwise not obtainable. No regrets on that. I've had them, and a lot of them are fucking epic and sorry but nope, sitting around getting high and talking about philosophy is not quite the same level of thrill or bad assery as rappelling out of a helicopter. So, no regrets on that front.

But I went into the regular force and stayed around because I actually liked the idea of what I was helping to accomplish. I went and fought in a war that may not have been started on particularly good ethical footing, never the less, the difference we made was good. We removed a brutally oppressive regime that disrespected human rights in a way that is not at all comparable to the first world problems we bitch about here. A regime that tactically endorsed killing a woman because she got raped. That would execute a person for being of the wrong religion, and frequently punish them severely for being the "right" religion but not being pious or enthusiastic enough about their particular theological leanings.

The ethics that started the war may of been fucked, but what we did there had many positive effects.

Further, seeing what the world is like in many places, and what people do to other people for absurd reasons or no reason, makes me want to be around to stop them from bringing that shit over here. I don't want my S/O to be beaten with a car antenna because she showed her face. I don't the people I see on campus in her classes getting executed overseas when they go over there to try and vaccinate the population against diseases. I want to be ready to go and get them out of there by force if it comes down to it.

Because people think it beats the alternatives. It's cheaper than college and (in expectation, at least) more exciting than anything else you can do right out of high school. There's also the added benefit of not having to ask yourself "What am I going to do with my life?" for a few years...

I know a lot of people that went because they couldn't find a job.

I'm pretty sure dental benefits are like, a top 3 reason people join the military.

You can get healthcare in the U.S. (albeit at incredible cost), but you can't get dental care anywhere.

Well probably half are angry young men who think it will make them seem hard and impress girls, and the other half are people down and out who get tricked into it by the bullshit pitch the recruiters are so good at.

Idk I've kinda always wanted to enlist. Am still thinkin about it but I got a ways to go til I'm off probation so its good. Id join bcuz of options in life rite now. I've got few options as I'm 20 an a 20 year career is good but idk if its really for me.

Some say yer enslavin yerself to the govt for 4 years I mean it kinda is but at the same time its diffrnt an ya shoulda read the contract.

Idk if ill enlist an go army if I do. More options than marines. Ill prob go infantry.

The military is supposed to be for the purpose of defending your country. However, how many people do you think join for that actual noble cause or possibly for other reasons? For the money,education, or to simply be able to experience the thrill of taking life in combat.

As gal who has had several male friends who have been in the U.S. Army, as well as one, very deranged ex-boyfriend who yearned to be in The United States Marine Corps (yet ended up incarcerated instead), I have drawn the conclusion that some of these men (and women) who are being praised for 'serving our country', really just have a latent desire for bloodlust. With regard to the unsavory ex-boyfriend, prior to our split, he actually made the rash decision to disclose to me in private that he had always wanted to kill another man, and that joining the service was the only way to sate his appetite for blood without consequence. He also divulged to me in the same conversation, that he knew something was very, very wrong with him. He divulged to me that as a young boy, he used to take rabbits and skin them alive until they passed on in his bare hands. Not only was hearing this the catalyst for craftily removing him from my life, it was also the catalyst for realizing that his reason to join the military was probably not as rare as one would like to think.

On a somewhat more tolerable note, my best male friend in high school who is like a brother to me, joined the U.S. Army because, in my opinion, he wasn't sure what else to do with his life. He and I were huge stoners in high school, and after graduation, he showed up at my door to say goodbye. He seemed nervous, and as though this was something he was psyching himself into liking, but overall he seemed as though it gave him the sense of identity he otherwise lacked. Every time he talked about 'serving our country', he looked more and more like a proper young man, and less and less like a directionless little boy. When he came back from serving our country, he still had that pride. He finally smiled with a sense of accomplishment and genuine self-esteem when he spoke of serving our country. Unfortunately, it was a double-edged sword, and that smile is still accompanied by severe PTSD—something both he and I acquired—only in different ways.

Then, there was a young man who picked up on me at a Halloween event years ago. A good-looking, well-liked, 'bro' type, with an indisputable fondness for sexual fetishes and BDSM. He was a veteran, and judging by the type of sex we engaged in and how he handled himself, he had a few screws loose he was trying to mend by...uh, screwing! A real obsession with control (or lack thereof) he had. Constantly barking out militant style orders for what he wanted done. Was too into giving aggression in a borderline violent way. While I was willing to try this at the time, and thoroughly enjoyed some of what I was allowed to do to him, he seemed like a ticking time bomb with his demands. I was not interested in being called names, yelled at, and thrown around in a militant/borderline violent manner on our first rendezvous, and looking back, I feel at least part of that could be attributed to his time spent in the service.

Overall, I have yet to know an individual who has joined the service out of the sheer desire to be in the military. What I have known, and have seen, is that the outcome of the individual is what differs tremendously.

Last edited:
Overall, I have yet to know an individual who has joined the service out of the sheer desire to be in the military. What I have known, and have seen, is that the outcome of the individual is what differs tremendously.

I joined just cause I wanted to do it... I share the voracious appetite for sexual fetishes and BDSM as does the halloween guy. But I'm kind of the opposite and don't like being violent or aggressive. If I'm topping, I like to treat my really nicely and gently -think pet or brat sub vs pain sub- and just do stuff to make her feel nice/pleasant or like a trivial amount of pain, and not bark or anything, just talk softly and ask her to cooperate cause it will make both of us have fun/happy. I don't call degrading names, I use overly sacharine pet names...service top kinda thing.

I've never hit a lover/romantic partner except by accident (like full retard accident of the sort of elbowing someone in the face while stretching and not paying attention type) or with their consent (kink and just play fighting or sparring).

I actually found myself getting increasing *less* belligerent and aggressive towards people in general as my career progressed, did more advanced training, and went off to Afghanistan a few times. It's a mix of losing the thrill of fighting, finding out that real, no-holds violence is repugnant, and a bit of arrogance/hubris that makes me feel like "elle oh elle, I don't want to waste my effort on beating this guy up, it's beneath me, it's like calling a surgeon to put a band-aid on a paper cut. I'm just gonna keep walking and go home and bang out with my deliciously cute S/O and cuddle her."

But the Canadian Forces and the type of people who join it and why they do so might be different than in the U.S.A. It's not a place you turn to cause don't know what else to do. It's a much different culture and the low profile of it's recruiting efforts and the fact that the recruiting process is very slow and a colossal circle jerk probably discourages a lot of the "I dunno wat to do with my life and I suck at school so imma join the army and shoot ragheads" types from joining.

Let's also keep in mind biases in our sampling of military members. As with most things/groups, we tend to only note the ones who make themselves highly visible and memorable. Acting ratchet is something highly visible and memorable.

Those who are not problematic and who don't act ratchet fail to make an impression and are forgotten, leaving only the memories of the ratchet motherfuckers, which then becomes one's impression of the entire group.