• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin Twitching and spasms

TheManWithNoName

Bluelighter
I was just reading about muscle spasms as a part of opiate withdrawal. On the other hand, I mostly get them when I am high. It comes right after anod, usually I'll be ok kinda close my eyes for a minute then wake up violently where my whole bottle shakes. I have almost hurt myself really bad in the shower for example. I also take benadryl and robitussin, often with my dose.

Do you take anti-psychotics by any chance?

They are very synonymous with the development of Tardive Dyskinesia which causes involuntary muscle spasms and twitches.

I have the same thing...My spasms are so big i have been know to throw remote controls over the other side of the loungeroom!.. I have about 50 a day..I am supposed to have an MRI a few months ago but the muns wasnt there.. I am on methadone and catapress daily, never been on heroin. But i been having more and more spasms lately...am starting to self diagnose!...MS i was thinking...

Yes, although not all that severe for most muscle spasms and even seizure can be part of opioid w/d. The benadryl might be exacerbating the situation, but that isn't always the case for everyone.

This sounds like something you should be talking to your doctor about. You might be in need of something for the spasms, regardless of w/d.

Tripman says types good words :)

Yeah I got them too. But after I got hooked they stayed even when I was off them. I thought all kinds of diseases and shit. Turns out its just anxiety. NEVER had anxiety through years of weed, x, speed and loads of other drugs abuses. Opiates somehow kicked it up. Now I'm anxious all the time. Sucks : /

Oh, and this wasn't during w/d. I had CT scans and shit. I know I have nerve damage that it's related to, but they never found anything. Only thing that helped is benzos. Tried sticking me on anti-depressants and after 2 months I told them to fuck off and give me my clonazepam

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, how long do you plan to be on benzos? I mean, I took em for a little over a year (albeit at very low doses infrequently when needed), but used that year to learn from some BMT techniques. Now I can manage my anxiety without medication. From what I know, don't benzos lose their efficacy after long term (and I mean years) use?

When it comes to anxiety, other than some rather rare extreme cases, benzos are best treated as suboxone should be treated for most opioid addicts: as a tool, allowing one to not have to deal with one's condition, while learning non-drug behavioral/through techniques, so that when the time comes they can come off their meds and deal with life purely on life's terms.

Yeah I got them too. But after I got hooked they stayed even when I was off them. I thought all kinds of diseases and shit. Turns out its just anxiety. NEVER had anxiety through years of weed, x, speed and loads of other drugs abuses. Opiates somehow kicked it up. Now I'm anxious all the time. Sucks : /

Oh, and this wasn't during w/d. I had CT scans and shit. I know I have nerve damage that it's related to, but they never found anything. Only thing that helped is benzos. Tried sticking me on anti-depressants and after 2 months I told them to fuck off and give me my clonazepam

Yeah im on MMP and dont get WDs, so i have the spasms every night...Its a bit freaky really...And i bet that will be my case too..They wont find anthing and i will have wasted $500! on the MRI...I starte thinking i had M.S....:(...Still dont know i guess...I have four or so of the sympotoms and im in the prime ages for M.S to be active...Ohhh i am also a hypocondriac...

miss kristy stop scaring yourself!! lol

i too get the twitches occasionaly...
i think i started getting them some time after starting Heroin... i dont remember exactly when they started...
NOW, im off h and been taking suboxone for close to a year and i still get them (there way fewer and farther between then when i was still using tho)

i always just assumed it had something to do with injecting and using IV and that maybe it had something to do with eather
A) Nerve damage or something similar from IVing

B) injecting some kind of cut with my drugs that was causing it? (or even possibly the coke?)

i always got them while high too so definatly not from withdrawling...

i have a friend who IV's meth, and well he would have rediculous spasms and flale around like crazy...(im sure its from all the nasty precursors in his crystal) i havent seen him in years hes probly way worse now, but honestly he probly looked like he was mentally challenged flaling around when people who didnt know him seen him back then... :/

I know i know!!! But throwing the remote clean across the room is a bit weird eh?..
God damn internet doctor sites where you can diagnose yourself incorrectly!!!
Never again!!

Hah, sounds like a problem beyond w/d'ing and heroin. It shouldn't make you freak out like an epileptic after a speedball...that just isn't it its job description. Call your doc man. Haha.

Yeah MS was definitely at the top of the list of conditions I thought I was developing. But ask yourself this...are you spasm free sometimes? And then in some situation or on some occasion they will spike up? At first I was sorta all over the map. But then I started to realize it was occurring in specific situations/circumstances. I was able to control them more. If that's the case, it is probably just anxiety. And when I get anxious, my mind seriously goes blank. I think of absolutely nothing. Before this I thought anxiety would make you think non-stop. While that can be the case, it certainly is not with me. Hope all goes well.

I too have muscle spasms on a pretty regular basis. More so when I'm about to fall asleep. I always figured it was because of the benzos I was taking, but now I'm really starting to think it's the opiates. Like someone said above, even when I'm on my opiate medication, I still get bad muscle jerks/spams. It can be scary because alot of times they feel like the beginning of a seizure. Overall, I attribute it to my medication's effect on my serotonin and dopamine levels in my brain.

I'm on methadone, and I get them sometimes.
Just in my hands, it is sorta freaky.
I'm pretty sure it's from the done, as I've just started
having them.

Twitches, not uncommon

In a way twitches are what partially got me off opiates. After about my 3rd year into it, I started to develop twitches that were constant. Its called Myoclonus, I also started having daily nausea. None of this was from any w/d, it occurred while I was on, especially my final year of suboxone. Its a good thing that happened because I might have hung onto opiates and sub much longer. I initially thought I had a neuro disease. But nope, after 2 weeks clean, that all cleared up. I was still in WD and PAWS misery mind you, but those symptoms were gone. Lightbulb moment. I actually read a medical piece that stated that all long term opiate users will eventually develop myoclonic twitches. Could take a few years for some, others decades. But it claimed you will get them. Maybe some folks just croak before that happens. My suboxone doctor swore it could not be the bupe. He was dead wrong. Doctors that have not been addicts themselves are wrong about a lot of things. FYI, this was not a one time experiment. I had to kick several times before I really pulled away. Each time, twitches. Each time, twitches gone a few weeks of being clean. If it were not for those, which to me were very bothersome, a five year habit might have become a ten year habit. Yeah for twitches. Now if I can just get the same mental focus back I had before I started this stuff. One word to anyone that has not touched it yet. DON'T.

^^^I would love to read that too ...do you remember where you read it timetohunt? The medical piece you read about?

Hey i just wanna ask does anyone above who has spasms take clonidine?

^^^I would love to read that too ...do you remember where you read it timetohunt? The medical piece you read about?

Hey i just wanna ask does anyone above who has spasms take clonidine?

I will try to find it a little later today. It was online, but it was a few years ago. There is a good chance its still around. I know it
will take a little searching, cuz at first when I was having my issues, there was not much on the subject. But now that I'm slightly
challenged regarding its existence, I would like to get it for you. Check back later today or tonight. Will report either way.

In a way twitches are what partially got me off opiates. After about my 3rd year into it, I started to develop twitches that were constant. Its called Myoclonus, I also started having daily nausea. None of this was from any w/d, it occurred while I was on, especially my final year of suboxone. Its a good thing that happened because I might have hung onto opiates and sub much longer. I initially thought I had a neuro disease. But nope, after 2 weeks clean, that all cleared up. I was still in WD and PAWS misery mind you, but those symptoms were gone. Lightbulb moment. I actually read a medical piece that stated that all long term opiate users will eventually develop myoclonic twitches. Could take a few years for some, others decades. But it claimed you will get them. Maybe some folks just croak before that happens. My suboxone doctor swore it could not be the bupe. He was dead wrong. Doctors that have not been addicts themselves are wrong about a lot of things. FYI, this was not a one time experiment. I had to kick several times before I really pulled away. Each time, twitches. Each time, twitches gone a few weeks of being clean. If it were not for those, which to me were very bothersome, a five year habit might have become a ten year habit. Yeah for twitches. Now if I can just get the same mental focus back I had before I started this stuff. One word to anyone that has not touched it yet. DON'T.

I get those stupid myoclonic seizures (as my neurologist calls them) all the time. I got them before opiates, after a TBI - I was assaulted and beaten, ugh, but was able to control them with benzos. Now that I'm on opiates (heroin to be exact), they have returned, but not nearly as often or as severe. I hope they don't get worse, they are a bitch, especially when trying to sleep. They are worse than RLS!

I get those stupid myoclonic seizures (as my neurologist calls them) all the time. I got them before opiates, after a TBI - I was assaulted and beaten, ugh, but was able to control them with benzos. Now that I'm on opiates (heroin to be exact), they have returned, but not nearly as often or as severe. I hope they don't get worse, they are a bitch, especially when trying to sleep. They are worse than RLS!

Hmm. Those obviously sound like a result of trauma. Many episodes both neuro and arthritic can be spawned from trauma. The ones I speak of are from your brain and neurology being changed by opiates. Mostly opiate induced myoclonus will ease off as your body begins to sleep. And during sleep, well you don't notice and it mainly is not there. A few minutes after being fully awake they hit. For me, it was usually accompanied by nausea. I used to work as an inspector on construction sites. Many a time on the way to work, I'd wind up puking in my construction helmet. Nice huh. I figured out to bring bags eventually. But for opiate induced myoclonus, cease the offending drug, and the twitches too will cease. But yours sounds like something else entirely. Perhaps made worse by the heroin.

To Miss Kristy. Heres just one, took 10 seconds:
http://www.mywhatever.com/cifwriter/library/eperc/fastfact/ff57.html

I have not found the original yet, and I am embroiled in redoing my basement. So I've been up for about 24 hours trying to get that job near
completion. I doubt I will have the energy or time to be on the internet for awhile.

Honestly, just search on stuff like: 'opiate induced myoclonus or opiate induced myoclonic twitches' and derivatives thereof. Or possibly
'opiate induced neurological disorders/problems'. Adjust a few words here and there and you will dig up those medical writings. Having been in the thick of it, I know plenty of users. One thing I have noticed is that many complain of neuro type stuff, just like they complain of bowel type issues.
But because they are users/junkies/addicts its almost like its a normal thing to have various maladies. The dope and need for dope simply overrules logic. I've been part of that, but luckily kept one foot in reality. So folks have all these issues and mostly go unreported because to them, its all normal now. That mindset is a killer. A deadly killer. Like a small child who grows up in abuse. Hey, aren't we all abused like that?
Well, no. Its just you (not necessarily you, speaking in third party) have lived your life long enough outside fairness and what is right, that the ugly starts to seem normal. I have friends (marginal friends now that I have kicked), that act like 90% of people are on dope. When that happens, so you have and odd twitch or you crap bricks, or you wake up like you are wearing a lead suit. Ain't nothin, right?
You should find enough by searching those phrases I mentioned.

Last edited: